• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Daughter called and said I had my water dripping all day but when I turned on the hot water nothing.

So I grab a heat gun and hairdryer and what insulation I have and head over there.

The whole house was re-piped with pex after the last freeze since pipes burst in the attic. This was before the bought it. The insulation job was half ass and a couple joints were left uncoverd along with about 2 feet of pipe as well as gaps and the split inthe insulation wasn't sealed shut. I told him to do this when he bought the house. You can't have any gaps.

So I got the 2 copper fittings heated up and water flowed into the heater creating the pressure needed and now they have water.

I couldn't get the small feed lines to the garage laundry working. I told future son in law he needs to properly do the insulation and taping and figure out if the wall is insulated to the laundry. If not open it up and properly insulate those pipes and redo the drywall.

Lucky its pex as I don't see any leaks and that all the pipes over the living part of the house were dripping. So no damage. If they do end up eith a leak it will be over the garage.

You would think after the previous home owner spent all that money to completely redo the house from frozen pipes they would have properly insulated the damn things in the attic. Pex pipe gives you a little better burst protection from freezing but it will still burst of enough freezes solid and the pressure stretch will eventually weaken it.

I'm too crippled and old To be crawling in attics.

He's gonna have fun when home depot opens getting more insulation. Then properly doing the job. I also said to get a decent electric space heater to put in the garage under the attic opening and let it run to warm that space up.

I asked where the water shut off is incase of a leak. He didn't know so we found it out front but it was buried in mud. I said wait till day light and get some gloves and carefully clean that out so you can shut it off. Do the same thing at the street but don't go blindly digging thru there with tools and breaking that pipe. Then you will have to get that fixed.

Good lessons I guess.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Abbott was bragging about how supply was exceeding demand by 20k mw last night. That gap has been reduced to about 6k, and at one point it looked like Texas accounted for about 1/3 of the nations power outages.

On another note. Pretty sure about half of the Houston area burned down this morning.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    You would think after the previous home owner spent all that money to completely redo the house from frozen pipes they would have properly insulated the damn things in the attic. Pex pipe gives you a little better burst protection from freezing but it will still burst of enough freezes solid and the pressure stretch will eventually weaken it.

The rental I'm in had $60k in damage from 2021 due to a frozen attic icemaker line and the renters not knowing how to turn off the water main. Contractor had just finished the repairs when I moved in and I noticed they did NOT put down any insulation over the repaired area so notified the landlord and it was corrected. The cause was an attic water line for the ice maker. No idea what it looked like before but it's a cast iron line with an appropriate wrap now though I would have added a heat cable. I've got a portable electric oil heater running in the garage with the attic stairs pulled down since that attic pipe is near the garage. The freezer is making ice so no frozen line at this time. The garage hot water heater had straight pipe insulation but it had fallen off since just placing those in a zig-zagged line doesn't work. I threw them back on and used duct tape to seal it and prevent it from flying off again. Of course I laugh since the water heater has a T&P valve but isn't connected to anything and there's no water heater drain pan. If that seal splits and being on a raised platform, the pantry and bedroom #3 will flood. I have no idea how this house passed inspection when the landlord bought it 4 years ago and I know the water heater is older than 4 years. But my experience with inspectors isn't good - note issues that aren't real issues and completely overlook obvious issues.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Winds dying down.

Wind now only supplying 11%. Solar also at 11%, but that will be gone at sundown.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I had 14F overnight, got woke up at 5am by my low temp warning (65F)... Shoveled out some ashes, threw some more wood on and back to bed! Got up to find my toilet tank line and my shower drain trap had frozen... Refilled the toilet from the sink and poured the hot humidifier water from on the woodstove down the shower drain to clear it. Those both froze 2 years ago; need to address that.

Less wind will make it easier to heat tonight...

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Daughter called and said I had my water dripping all day but when I turned on the hot water nothing.

So I grab a heat gun and hairdryer and what insulation I have and head over there.

The whole house was re-piped with pex after the last freeze since pipes burst in the attic. This was before the bought it. The insulation job was half ass and a couple joints were left uncoverd along with about 2 feet of pipe as well as gaps and the split inthe insulation wasn't sealed shut. I told him to do this when he bought the house. You can't have any gaps.

So I got the 2 copper fittings heated up and water flowed into the heater creating the pressure needed and now they have water.

I couldn't get the small feed lines to the garage laundry working. I told future son in law he needs to properly do the insulation and taping and figure out if the wall is insulated to the laundry. If not open it up and properly insulate those pipes and redo the drywall.

Lucky its pex as I don't see any leaks and that all the pipes over the living part of the house were dripping. So no damage. If they do end up eith a leak it will be over the garage.

He's gonna have fun when home depot opens getting more insulation. Then properly doing the job. I also said to get a decent electric space heater to put in the garage under the attic opening and let it run to warm that space up.

I asked where the water shut off is incase of a leak. He didn't know so we found it out front but it was buried in mud. I said wait till day light and get some gloves and carefully clean that out so you can shut it off. Do the same thing at the street but don't go blindly digging thru there with tools and breaking that pipe. Then you will have to get that fixed.

Good lessons I guess.
    Hope your daughter knows her old man is special. Most would not know what to do, and the rest would not head out in this weather.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I lost power from 9pm yesterday until 2am. Electric coop said it was a downed line up the road about 2 miles. Kudos to the crew for repairing it in 25 mph winds!

I had my portable propane heaters going. I stayed warm but was not comfortable enough with those heaters running to sleep.

It got down to 9 degrees here. 26 now.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Headline from 2 days ago: Abbott, PUC, ERCOT all say power grid is ready For approaching Arctic storm.

Headline today: Atmos urging residents to conserve gas (due to low pressure).

This is getting ridiculous.

3E167F02-D7BB-4ACF-8663-FA7FA4F5A432.png

Attachments

• 06F5B6DD-2038-4846-820A-6387E802942D.png
      06F5B6DD-2038-4846-820A-6387E802942D.png
      224.1 KB · Views: 37

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Good lessons I guess.
    All is well. Insulation properly done, reportedly as I havnt seen it. And a nice space heater in the garage.

All that's left if hooking up the laundry room .
    Attic space now heated from garage below.
    693551150.jpg

Last edited:

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Electric stayed on but the furnace control board went out last Wednesday. Didn't get a new one until today. Pretty cold in this big house with no heat but the gas logs. Don't have space heaters and couldn't buy any of those either. Called around and found 3 among friends and neighbors Tuesday. Got a new board in there now and bought a used one off eBay for $60 for a backup.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I love a story with a happy ending
    Me Too. I'm glad the lesson he learned wasn't expensive. Just up for about 36 hours re taping and properly insulating.

I told him before they bought the house to do the stuff properly but he didn't. I never once said I told you so. I hated when my dad did that after I already felt like an idiot for not listening.

Lol

He's a good kid and we are proud to call him son n law, future. He treats my daughter well and a dad can't ask for anything more.

Well he's about 6.5 240 lbs and my daughter is almost 6 ft so I guess I can ask for linebackers or quarterbacks. Lol

Top Bottom