• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Currently predicted low temperatures across West Texas and the panhandle will be almost at the lower operating temperature limits for wind turbines. Perhaps below the operating limit for some turbine models. So far, not seeing any precip in the forecast which is good. If the ambient temps go below the min. operating temp, wind generation will take a significant hit.

Guess we are going to find out how successful ERCOT's push for winter weatherization preparation is going to be.

Might want to be prepared for losing power.
    Hurley's Gold

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The February outage is what pushed me to get a solar system with battery backup.
    I don't want to go through that again.
    All I had was a 4kw gas generator and the roads were icy and was hard to get gas to keep it running.
    Plus 4kw doesn't get you very much as far as heating devices go.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The February outage is what pushed me to get a solar system with battery backup.
    I don't want to go through that again.
    All I had was a 4kw gas generator and the roads were icy and was hard to get gas to keep it running.
    Plus 4kw doesn't get you very much as far as heating devices go.

How well does your solar system charge at this point in time.

I have a solar panel on one of my cameras, and I need to charge it myself every winter.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hurricanes and Northers are good opportunities to figure out how well you can survive without public service systems. You never know what might happen that would knock out systems for very long periods - years, maybe. If you can't handle a day or two, you need to do some soul searching about where you invest your money.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    That reminds me, I need to go get fuel for the small backup generator. It won't run the whole house but at least the fridge (I know, ironic) and small appliances.
    The fireplace is ready and so is far-wud.
    I expect the cold front to generate enough electricity with its fierce winds and lack of precipitation. As long as people put some sweatpants on and don't turn up their electric furnaces to 75F.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    How well does your solar system charge at this point in time.

I have a solar panel on one of my cameras, and I need to charge it myself every winter.
    You need more solar panel or more battery, maybe both, to get through low solar periods...

Low stock and urgency finally got me out cutting wood. I'm good for at least a month of the worst weather can throw at me.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You need more solar panel or more battery, maybe both, to get through low solar periods...

Low stock and urgency finally got me out cutting wood. I'm good for at least a month of the worst weather can throw at me.

My point was, once his battery wall powers his house for 24 hours, will it be recharged to provide power for the next 24 hours, if power is out for 48?

I don't know how long it can power the whole house.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My point was, once his battery wall powers his house for 24 hours, will it be recharged to provide power for the next 24 hours, if power is out for 48?

I don't know how long it can power the whole house.
    Assuming it's not super cloudy, it will charge back up when the sun comes out.
    There's 44 panels so it will produce up to 13.5kw per hour.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    We did OK during the February '21 outage, but I've added some convenience items like rechargeable lanterns instead of just handheld flashlights, more firewood, more water storage (already filled up), zero degree windshield washer fluid (screw standing out there in cold scraping at windshields), portable gas oven (in addition to the grill)

If that's not enough, we're having a problem of another magnitude and no amount of prepping short of going missile silo bunker with generators would help.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I hope ERCOT made some improvements.
    They improved the identity of "critical load" customers data.
    Now that natural gas facilities have registered as such, the gas should keep pressure and the gas fired generation should stay on line.

2021 was a hard lesson on "oversight".
    2022 was proof that things are right.

I still have generators and fuel.
    Lines fall and transformers fail.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso