• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    They improved the identity of "critical load" customers data.
    Now that natural gas facilities have registered as such, the gas should keep pressure and the gas fired generation should stay on line.

2021 was a hard lesson on "oversight".
    2022 was proof that things are right.

I still have generators and fuel.
    Lines fall and transformers fail.

You would think they had. If things go south again, there will be some Texans out for blood.

I agree, everyone should be prepared for at least a short term outage.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    The one little ”plus” in really cold weather that I have is after a substation blew out in July two years ago, we were moved on to a grid that powers a hospital and fire department. Not that it will never go down, but I’ve been told being on the same line as them puts any outage for us on a higher priority. So far, so good since that July, but luckily we also have natural gas in the fireplace and a cord of wood just in case.

A dual fuel generator is on the list to buy in January.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I’m prepared for the cold, but not mentally prepared for the annual “it never gets this cold in texas” social media posts that I see every year when it gets this cold.

I haven’t heard of any new power plants being built in the last year, or others brought back online(but maybe I missed it) so I’m hoping throughout texas it doesn’t get as cold as last year. Otherwise, I expect more of the same.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Breezy breezy, no worries. Power, no power, no worries. I was without all utilities for 8 days last time and it was an inconvenience, but then it was a vacation too. Acted like a kid for a few days. Unfortunately my genny's intake would start freezing after about 5 minutes and die. I bought another so I hope this one does better.

I guess when you've done plenty of playing in -10-25f, it all seems like no problem. Only thing I wish we had more of, board games for night time entertainment for the family.

I went out and was pulling people out in my FJ during the day, all in all it was kind of fun. Not so much fun for folks that have medical conditions, but why their families didn't cover that aspect is beyond.

Just in time society addicted to ample availability of resources when we want.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    As long as the natty gas holds out, we’re good. Have a 8000w trifuel genny and had a plumber installl a QD at the regulator. It’ll run what needs runnin’. As long as the natty gas holds out…If that takes a crap, the Saiga 12, the woods out back, the retention lake, and a fairly bad attitude will have to do.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Screenshot_20221220_035404_KTXS Weather.jpg

Screenshot_20221220_035417_KTXS Weather.jpg

I am expecting some type of outages

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The weatherman
    We were well below zero a couple of those nights. Actual temps not wind chills.

Atleast a 10 to 15 degree swing under what's predicted here anyways.

Still 15 below zero windchill readings aren't exactly balmy weather conditions anywhere south of the arctic.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It's going to be an interesting weekend. A few things have happened that impeded my Winter preparations this year. It won't be a fun time if ERCOT once again screwed the pooch.

I guess I'll see here shortly.
    Can't blame ERCOT for all the Federal taxpayer subsidies that have resulted in too many intermittent renewables on the grid.

Legislature could create funds for building and paying new gas fired plants to be on standby, but rate payers will complain about the higher bills.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    They improved the identity of "critical load" customers data.
    Now that natural gas facilities have registered as such, the gas should keep pressure and the gas fired generation should stay on line.

2021 was a hard lesson on "oversight".
    2022 was proof that things are right.

I still have generators and fuel.
    Lines fall and transformers fail.
    And wind turbines shut down if it gets too cold.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Can't blame ERCOT for all the Federal taxpayer subsidies that have resulted in too many intermittent renewables on the grid.

Legislature could create funds for building and paying new gas fired plants to be on standby, but rate payers will complain about the higher bills.
    Federal subsidies or not, it’s their job to make sure there is adequate power supply.

Top Bottom