Military Camp

Denied firearm at Academy because I answered a "prohibited" question at a different Academy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fideon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Austin, TX
    So, this morning I tried purchasing a P365X from the Academy closest to me.
    I bought it online, and picked the pick up today option.

Went there, brought all my documentation, filled the form, and after a long time was ultimately denied the purchase because I "answered a prohibited question at a different Academy", or at least that's what the guy said. And that I would be able to try again in 30 days.

They asked me if I had tried or had bought a firearm in another Academy in the past.

This is the first time in my life I've ever tried to purchase a firearm. Only firearm-related things I've bought at Academy is ammo and a holster.

Has anyone ever received that reply when trying to buy a gun at Academy? They gave me the paper which I assume everyone gets when they are denied the purchase of a firearm. Something that says Deny and Delay. But it's supposed to have a "case number" which I can use when calling the relevant government agency to see why I was denied, but they didn't write down said number.

Would like to know what exactly went wrong so I can know if I should try again at another store or what.

Thanks!
    Texas SOT

Fideon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Austin, TX
    Could be. But I mean I provided my address, SSN, LTC... I don't see how they could confuse me with all that info.

Now that y'all mention it though, my credit card and hunting license (I need hunting license because I'm an immigrant) have just my first last name, while my LTC and DL have my two last names (I'm from Mexico where it is customary to use both last names and that's the way it is on my Visa/I-94). So maybe it was a case of messing up with the last names...

Fideon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Austin, TX
    You have an LTC?
    Indeed. One thing to notice is that, following DPS' instructions, name on my LTC has to be just the same as my DL. And their system does not accept spaces in the Last Name field. Had to send an email and call DPS to figure out what to do. They just told me they're not able to put spaces in the field and that both my last names would have to be in there together without a space. So that's the way it is in my LTC...

Kinda seeing a pattern here... Most likely was an issue with my last names :(

Fideon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Austin, TX
    The more complex, I know it is not that difficult, you make it the more likely the simpletons at Academy will become confused and lock up. Most of them work there because they got fired at Taco Bell
    Haha and you know the way they worded it ("you answered a prohibited question at a different Academy"), and that they told me that I could try again in 30 days when AFAIK the government doesn't keep you from trying again right away... I think this was a case of Academy not wanting to sell the gun, rather than the govt denying the transaction.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Who refused you? Academy or BATFE? Large multi-location retailers usually do have a networked system where a problem at one location will flag you at any of their locations. Bad actors go from location to location learning the system as they go, and this prevents them from fooling the next location. That can get you a refusal.

If the BATFE refused you, then don't leave without the reference number. There's lots of things that can cause an issue. The Hispanic dual-surnames cause a lot of confusion because they aren't always consistent in the systems. A delay should either clear or expire. But some retailers won't transfer on an expiration, they insist on a clearance.

I worked at a large retailer and they were very serious about enforcement. As they should be.

Fideon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Austin, TX
    Who refused you? Academy or BATFE? Large multi-location retailers usually do have a networked system where a problem at one location will flag you at any of their locations. Bad actors go from location to location learning the system as they go, and this prevents them from fooling the next location. That can get you a refusal.

If the BATFE refused you, then don't leave without the reference number. There's lots of things that can cause an issue. The Hispanic dual-surnames cause a lot of confusion because they aren't always consistent in the systems. A delay should either clear or expire. But some retailers won't transfer on an expiration, they insist on a clearance.

I worked at a large retailer and they were very serious about enforcement. As they should be.
    I honestly have no idea who refused me. They gave my a paper that one half says Deny and the other Delay and it gives you the instructions on what to do in any of those cases which include doing things like calling a certain I assume government body to find out why exactly you were denied.

The paper has a blank space where the employee is meant to write down, like, the number of your transaction, so you can find out why you were denied, but he wrote nothing on that space.

Like I mentioned this was my first time ever trying to purchase a firearm. I have never tried purchasing a firearm at Academy or anywhere else before. (besides private transactions ofc).

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I honestly have no idea who refused me. They gave my a paper that one half says Deny and the other Delay and it gives you the instructions on what to do in any of those cases which include doing things like calling a certain I assume government body to find out why exactly you were denied.

The paper has a blank space where the employee is meant to write down, like, the number of your transaction, so you can find out why you were denied, but he wrote nothing on that space.

Like I mentioned this was my first time ever trying to purchase a firearm. I have never tried purchasing a firearm at Academy or anywhere else before. (besides private transactions ofc).

That's a BATFE Deny/Delay. Go back to the store and get the number. Or just call. It's in the system. You may find the Delay has been lifted and they'll transfer the gun. If it's a deny call the BATFE and find out why.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    He got DELAYED otherwise he could not try again in 30 days. It's Academy's policy and procedure. If he was denied they would have given him the BATFE Denial Procedures.

We've had many Academy customers complain of this same situation here on TGT.....

Get your refund.........

Go to a a REAL gun shop that will accept your LTC for the transfer without getting the BATFE/FBI involved....

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    My understanding is that Academy runs a background on everyone regardless of LTC. I have not purchased a firearm from Academy but have seen numerous posts on TGT from folks that have.
    I asked at Academy last time I bought a gun there if they ran a background check when you had an LTC. The guy said they don't. I don't know what to believe but I asked.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    He got DELAYED otherwise he could not try again in 30 days. It's Academy's policy and procedure. If he was denied they would have given him the BATFE Denial Procedures.

We've had many Academy customers complain of this same situation here on TGT.....

Get your refund.........

Go to a a REAL gun shop that will accept your LTC for the transfer without getting the BATFE/FBI involved....

This!!!

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Warning Don't buy firearms at a Big Box store from people who don't really know what their doing. This will cost you the 30 days no matter how far you dig into the problem. Infact the more you disturb it the deeper it will go. So just let it Go!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If Academy denied you because of how you answered a question on the form, it should never have been submitted to the ATF. If itbdidcget sent to the ATF and they denied the sale, there IS a NICS Transactin Number. And you are intitled by law to have that transaction number if you so desire.
    If they gave you the denied information form, it should have been on there. The info on the form is worthless without it. No NTN, no appeal.

As others have stated, go somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom