APOD Firearms

Denied firearm at Academy because I answered a "prohibited" question at a different Academy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My understanding is that Academy runs a background on everyone regardless of LTC. I have not purchased a firearm from Academy but have seen numerous posts on TGT from folks that have.

I’ve bought a few guns at Academy and they’ve never ran a background check on me since I have a LTC.

I suppose other stores could have different protocol, but generally national stores have SOPs that are followed by all locations.

I’ve bought in Garland, Plano and Waco with no checks.

Last edited:

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Did you contact the store manager or district manager to get better instruction and communications? I would go this route first before contacting a State agency.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Good grief....some Academy's run background checks even with an LTC. It is not the first time it has been discusssed ad nauseum....
    I have never had Academy run a background check on me with my LTC. Wait I don't buy firearms at academy so that might be something. Find a good local gun shop and build some rapport and never look back. It might be a little higher but with a good lgs loyalty goes a long way.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Why would anyone buy a gun from Academy anyways? They are no huge Defender of the 2A.

Do they sell anything other than Fudd guns?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    So, this morning I tried purchasing a P365X from the Academy closest to me.
    I bought it online, and picked the pick up today option.

Went there, brought all my documentation, filled the form, and after a long time was ultimately denied the purchase because I "answered a prohibited question at a different Academy", or at least that's what the guy said. And that I would be able to try again in 30 days.

They asked me if I had tried or had bought a firearm in another Academy in the past.

This is the first time in my life I've ever tried to purchase a firearm. Only firearm-related things I've bought at Academy is ammo and a holster.

Has anyone ever received that reply when trying to buy a gun at Academy? They gave me the paper which I assume everyone gets when they are denied the purchase of a firearm. Something that says Deny and Delay. But it's supposed to have a "case number" which I can use when calling the relevant government agency to see why I was denied, but they didn't write down said number.

Would like to know what exactly went wrong so I can know if I should try again at another store or what.

Thanks!
    <>

”Go to a a REAL gun shop that will accept your LTC for the transfer without getting the BATFE/FBI involved....”

AMEN !

leVieux

<>

Fideon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Austin, TX
    <>

”Go to a a REAL gun shop that will accept your LTC for the transfer without getting the BATFE/FBI involved....”

AMEN !

leVieux

<>
    Roger roger.

I'm worried about that 30 day stuff Academy guy said though. Did he mean I have to wait 30 days to try again at Academy, or do I have to wait before trying at any store?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I asked at Academy last time I bought a gun there if they ran a background check when you had an LTC. The guy said they don't. I don't know what to believe but I asked.
    <>

”Academy’’ (and, Walmart) employees are notoriously IGNORANT.

”Academy is for Tee shirts, ice chest parts, & lawn chairs. . . . . NOT guns & ammo!”

This has been a common topic on TGT.

leVieux

<>

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty