• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I well remember having to pick my own plum switch. And the consequences of picking a bad one were not pleasant. The sound of Momma running her hand down fast on the limb and stripping the leaves still makes me shiver to remember it.

But, I wholeheartedly believe I am a better person for it. I learned to respect authority. I also learned to behave correctly. Way too many of today's generation are growing up with no consequences of bad behavior IMHO.

You can disagree, but you will not dissuade me from the truth. But I'm guessing many of the members of this forum who grew up in the 50's and 60's will agree with me that the lack of discipline rears problems.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I had to pick my switch. I also had to choose if I wanted to stand in the corner first or after. It was best to get it over with and then stand in the corner vs standing there thinking about what was coming when time was up.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Mom used whatever was to hand! Rollin' Pin, Pasta Spoon........etc. That was fine, EXCEPT......she always told Pops.

Pops? He used the shaving strop.....

None of that, "It's going to hurt me, more than you, neither."....

Start to crying...then it was, "I'm a giving ya something to cry 'bout!" LOL

So, the lesson was..."Yes Sir. Yes Ma'am....etc"...(sass was an instant backhand...........right into next week!) LOL

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    :)) the “Saint George” was a switch that me and my brothers would pick and set on the top of the fireplace when the old Saint George would break on us.:) we were a handful, looking back I wonder how come we didn’t get it more often.
    We would set it on the fireplace to dry faster because we all knew that a fresh one out of the tree would hurt way more than a dry one.
    We like to say in my country “welcome to Romania, set your watch 50 years back”
    So yeah, kids are still getting a whooping when they misbehave, none of this new mentally that you should never spank a child because he will turn into a violent psychopath. (Oddly enough, I think there’s more psychos in the newer generations that didn’t get disciplined that in the older ones, I’m sure there’s a study somewhere to explain why)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Momma had cast iron skillets, no switch there.
    Pop had a filigree belt with a big buck running across a meadow. When he was done, there was a big herd running across my ass.

I worked at a cabinet shop when the kids were younger. 3"x 16" oak paddle. If it came up missing, they got toted to the shop, I would open up and make them watch me make a new one to use.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yes, that was part of the punishment.

One time I left the leaf's on it. I screamed and howled in pain just like every other time I got whipped.

Then my dad came home and found the switch. I'm sure him and mom, who whipped me, had a laugh about it as he removed the leaf's and then properly whipped me again with a few lashes tossed in for thinking I was a clever boy and tricking my mom.

Oh, she didnt know better cause she usually used a belt for her administrative duties which for some reason she couldnt find that night.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Once the elastic line broke this ceased to be a toy.

No switches were readily available in in suburban Chicago.

1628684366006.jpeg

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I well remember having to pick my own plum switch. And the consequences of picking a bad one were not pleasant. The sound of Momma running her hand down fast on the limb and stripping the leaves still makes me shiver to remember it.

But, I wholeheartedly believe I am a better person for it. I learned to respect authority. I also learned to behave correctly. Way too many of today's generation are growing up with no consequences of bad behavior IMHO.

You can disagree, but you will not dissuade me from the truth. But I'm guessing many of the members of this forum who grew up in the 50's and 60's will agree with me that the lack of discipline rears problems.
    Mom told me to get a switch but I told her, Hell no! That's an electrician's job!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Willow switch was the way. Never got the belt, but I was threatened with it, same as I did to my stubborn girl child. Jr High featured a long wooden paddle from the Vice Principal, bend over and grab yer knees... however, coach had a similar paddle with holes in it for increased velocity due to less wind resistance and made me grab my feet.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Willow switch was the way. Never got the belt, but I was threatened with it, same as I did to my stubborn girl child. Jr High featured a long wooden paddle from the Vice Principal, bend over and grab yer knees... however, coach had a similar paddle with holes in it for increased velocity due to less wind resistance and made me grab my feet.
    Oh theres a memory. Mrs Phillip's in 3rd grade. So tiny and old she blended in with the kids and you wouldnt think she could even pick up a paddle much less swing it. The one person besides your parents you didnt want hollering out your full name.

She would call you to the front of the class and say grab your ankles. Then use the swats to teach counting by having the class call out each one.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Oh theres a memory. Mrs Phillip's in 3rd grade. So tiny and old she blended in with the kids and you wouldnt think she could even pick up a paddle much less swing it. The one person besides your parents you didnt want hollering out your full name.

She would call you to the front of the class and say grab your ankles. Then use the swats to teach counting by having the class call out each one.

Makes me remember the nuns in elementary school... they liked to bang yer knuckles with a ruler or a 3' pointer. Priests in H.S. used to throw chalk and erasers at my brothers, but I was kicked out and in public school before it was my turn. Dad punched out a priest that dumped one of my bros chair over on poor brobro. Dad wasn't Catholic.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom