Texas SOT

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    He’s a dumbass for accepting an EV from the rental car company, especially if he didn’t reserve it or did and didn’t do his due diligence.

Herrz tried to give me an EV when we were in SD last summer. I asked them if they were drunk and told them to give me the ICE large SUV I reserved. The counter guy tried to convince me I would prefer the EV; I asked if he had a hearing problem. I got the keys to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    Oh, I get it. But per the article, EV was the only available option despite him reserving a gas powered vehicle ahead of time, something rental companies are notorious for, whether it's now ICE/EV or size such as luxury/midsize/compact, etc.

His surprise, as well as mine, was that it failed to make just a three-hour round trip, albeit as he describes in hilly areas, and just highlights the real limitations of EVs plus the lack of charging stations. I've had hunting leases that were three hours or more away and in very remote areas that I'd never be able to reach, much less get back out of if this garbage was ever our only option.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Wonder how UAW feels about the associated jobs cuts. Never mind, it’s an EV and that shit’s all robots and computers nowadays so I guess UAW doesn’t care.
    I dunno, they're pretty furious they haven't gotten their claws into Tesla yet. Kinda makes me want to stop making fun of Teslas...

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Trying to ram the square peg of a EV into the round hole of the US infrastructure is about as imbecilic as it gets.

An EV makes sense in certain conditions and locations. Commuters that have access to a charging station @ home are the most likely market segment. Lots of folks who live within say 50 miles of work and sit in traffic can benefit from an EV. Assuming they can charge each night at home after their daily BS is over. Folks like the Chicagoans with no access to chargers that rely on charging stations are NOT it. Physics (long time to charge) and lack of available chargers are not going to work. Same for those who drive long distances for whatever reason. Not enough available infrastructure to support that.

Don’t know how many MBA’s or PhD’s it takes to understand that EV’s are a niche market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    An EV makes sense in certain conditions and locations. Commuters that have access to a charging station @ home are the most likely market segment. Lots of folks who live within say 50 miles of work and sit in traffic can benefit from an EV. Assuming they can charge each night at home after their daily BS is over.
    Exactly and 36% of the US population rents (apt, home, etc) where installing a charger isn't allowed or cost effective. Sarcastically, I'd say 2/3s of homeowners have their garage packed full of junk so they'd be running their charger out to the driveway.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    That's the point....there were no chargers where he was and it was a rental. He couldn't get back to where the nearest chargers were before it ran out of juice in the middle of the night. Your motorcycle uses gas that is available everywhere. Poor analogy.

I get you don't want to put your email in to read the article. But it's ridiculous to post shit in response to an article that you never read.
    Again, I put the blame on him. He knew how far he had to drive and just kinda hoped for the best. Didn't plug it in regardless of supercharger stations because the wedding venue didn't have electricity maybe? And no, my motorcycle analogy isn't poor; if I know I'm bone dry at 150 miles and never bother thinking about refueling on a 3 hour ride, I'd be laughed at too. Driving through West Texas regularly, there are long hilly stretches without gas stations. Not too mention the gas stations that do close for the night in extra rural areas.

And if that truly was the very last vehicle available, he's not even well traveled enough to walk the 20 feet over to the next rental desk to ask for another car from a different company. He's an idiot on multiple levels trying to blame the car. Perhaps he needed a warning label to keep him safe?

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Exactly and 36% of the US population rents (apt, home, etc) where installing a charger isn't allowed or cost effective. Sarcastically, I'd say 2/3s of homeowners have their garage packed full of junk so they'd be running their charger out to the driveway.

Ironically that may be a safety feature that could save their home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Anything that doesn't increase range and reduce charge time, is of little benefit to most drivers.
    My thought also. Most of these slick high-tech adds will just deplete the battery faster.

ETA - OTOH, maybe the ability to watch a full-length movie while waiting for it to charge is a good thing?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    My thought also. Most of these slick high-tech adds will just deplete the battery faster.

ETA - OTOH, maybe the ability to watch a full-length movie while waiting for it to charge is a good thing?
    The useful trip range of an ev is reduced further as driver fatigue becomes a factor with additional time necessary for charging added to the total travel time.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1706287767889.png

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    To Hell with them.

Went back to old motorcycles.

Easy to work on.
    Reliable.
    Manual everything.

I've been reminded yet again how even a "low performance" bike out performs a "high performance vehicle" on the road.

Keep your horse for off road stuff.

Top Bottom