Military Camp

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    IMG_1183.jpeg

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Gonna be 79 May 5. Still driving, and both vehicles run on gas. We use gas powered golf carts . electric ones weren't suitable. Would never buy an electric vehicle for every day driving. Toy...........................................................................

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Some of the chemical plants I worked at used golf carts for maintenance. The electric carts were not dependable and often had to be towed back to the shop by the gas powered carts.
    I don't ever want to need to be dependent on an electric vehicle.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Some of the chemical plants I worked at used golf carts for maintenance. The electric carts were not dependable and often had to be towed back to the shop by the gas powered carts.
    I don't ever want to need to be dependent on an electric vehicle.
    i like using a golf cartfor doing chores around the house and property!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    California calls electric cars “zero emissions vehicles” because they don’t have tailpipes. That is deceptive. Generating the electricity that powers those cars creates particulate pollution, and of course electric cars still use tires, which are made from petroleum. Electric cars weigh far more than gasoline-powered ones, so their tires degrade faster, as electric car buyers are learning. The same analytics firm cited earlier compared two cars—a plug-in electric and a hybrid. The electric car weighed about one-third more than the hybrid and emitted roughly one-quarter more particulate matter because of tire wear. Total direct emissions went up, not down, when the electric car was driven.

But when California’s air agency analyzed the effects of its ban, it used a model that assumes both kinds of cars have the same tire wear. When the public pointed out the error, the agency doubled down, claiming it would be “speculative” to assume that electric cars will continue to be heavier than gasoline cars.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, cars emit only about 1% of all direct fine particulate matter in California, and most of those emissions come from older models.

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    I know this won't be a popular take but I'm all for EVs.

1. When the SHTF you can generate power from solar, wind, hydro. Refined petroleum products are extremely energy intensive and difficult to produce to modern standards. Ethanol is not a long term option for most vehicles due to the hydroscopic nature of ethanol and the damage it can do to seals and hoses, and growing, fermenting, and distilling crops is time consuming and difficult.
    2. The minerals used in packs are highly recyclable regardless of some of the fud you read online. The packs also last a long time - especially LFP packs. Once used in a vehicle they can be repurposed for stationary storage.
    3. How many of you have driven a powerful EV? I have a Rivian R1S on order and its performance is unbelievable. No ICE vehicle can compare.
    4. Lack of maintenance, really it's just tires and brake fluid.
    5. Low cost to run due to electricity being cheap and low maintenance costs.
    6. Not being reliant on oil companies or middle eastern islamic hell holes to keep my vehicle running.

It's the ultimate choice for being self reliant. I'm not against ICE either, I plan on buying a 5L V8 mustang, but my primary vehicle will be the Rivian.

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    California calls electric cars “zero emissions vehicles” because they don’t have tailpipes. That is deceptive. Generating the electricity that powers those cars creates particulate pollution, and of course electric cars still use tires, which are made from petroleum. Electric cars weigh far more than gasoline-powered ones, so their tires degrade faster, as electric car buyers are learning. The same analytics firm cited earlier compared two cars—a plug-in electric and a hybrid. The electric car weighed about one-third more than the hybrid and emitted roughly one-quarter more particulate matter because of tire wear. Total direct emissions went up, not down, when the electric car was driven.

But when California’s air agency analyzed the effects of its ban, it used a model that assumes both kinds of cars have the same tire wear. When the public pointed out the error, the agency doubled down, claiming it would be “speculative” to assume that electric cars will continue to be heavier than gasoline cars.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, cars emit only about 1% of all direct fine particulate matter in California, and most of those emissions come from older models.

One part you are ignoring is a lot of the latest EV spec tires have higher levels of silica which reduces wear at the cost of lower co-efficient of friction, with the additional weight to an equal size ICE the grip levels remain comparable along with the particulate matter from wheels.

Also the emissions - if you care about that - is still more efficient to burn goal and charge your car from a power plant than to burn gasoline or diesel. As vehicle engines have to be lightweight in comparison and efficient over a broad range whilst a coal plant can be a combined cycle and highly optimized for a single RPM, then the efficiency of charging and electric motors are extremely high. If we are talking nuclear or hydro this is a complete non issue.

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    Plus maybe some suspension parts? And batteries.
    Your #6 is important, but only matters if we are free to pursue domestic sources.
    Most batteries will likely outlast the engine. LFP cells will do 3000 cycles down to 80%. That's a hell of a lot of miles.

Sure and I'm 100% behind domestic sources of energy, oil, gas, nuclear, all have an important role to play.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

1. When the SHTF you can generate power from solar, wind, hydro. Refined petroleum products are extremely energy intensive and difficult to produce to modern standards. Ethanol is not a long term option for most vehicles due to the hydroscopic nature of ethanol and the damage it can do to seals and hoses, and growing, fermenting, and distilling crops is time consuming and difficult.
    2. The minerals used in packs are highly recyclable regardless of some of the fud you read online. The packs also last a long time - especially LFP packs. Once used in a vehicle they can be repurposed for stationary storage.
    3. How many of you have driven a powerful EV? I have a Rivian R1S on order and its performance is unbelievable. No ICE vehicle can compare.
    6. Not being reliant on oil companies or middle eastern islamic hell holes to keep my vehicle running.

It's the ultimate choice for being self reliant. I'm not against ICE either, I plan on buying a 5L V8 mustang, but my primary vehicle will be the Rivian.
    You have been lied to, fooled, taken advantage of, mislead, snaked, dupped, ripped off and given gulible juice. Just for starters no im not a hater I've worked with electrical machinery, vehicles, equipment, chargers batteries and all that goes with the latest greatest technology
    When I say worked I mean turn wrenches re wire, install chargers, have batteries recycled, throw two-year old
    $10,000 chargers in the dumpster, drag machinery out of freezers because they can't wear freezer gear and tend to want to take a nap.
    The tires you speak of are trash wait until you need new ones if you dare replace with equivalent.
    Your monitor LOL yeah it aint an Apple or a Droid thats for sure.
    Anyway I'd wish ya luck with your EV but I'd be lying.

Last edited:

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014

Have you looked at repair cost for the Rivian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    You have been lied to, fooled, taken advantage of, mislead, snaked, dupped, ripped off and given gulible juice. Just for starters
    What have I gotten wrong? Perhaps it's better to be specific than just write a bunch of synonyms. I don't claim to be infallible or know everything in regards to combustion vs electric.

Top Bottom