• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I plan on starting my first custom AR saturday (at Saxet).
    I'm going to start with the lower using a dreadnought Industries stripped lower. What else exactly, do I need to get at the gunshow?
    I wanted to do a completely Texas build, but I guess thats not possible.
    Please tell me what parts to hunt for.
    This is going to be 5.56/223
    Thanks, Skip
    "Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Starting with the lower... A lower parts kit, a buffer tube (I strongly suggest a carbine tube unless you're 6'4"), buffer and spring (spring depends on the tube you buy), a stock to fit your tube. If you want to run a better trigger than the craptastic military-style one, now is a good time to get one and put in. If it's a target/long range/precision rifle, a two stage trigger is probably the best way. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of a single stage.

Then you can either buy an upper assembly, or build one of those. You can either get an upper less barrel and bolt, or you can get a stripped upper, dust cover/pin/spring, bolt carrier and bolt, charging handle, forward assist/spring/pin. Pick your barrel (gas system length gets picked here), handguard, gas block (suggest low profile with a floating handguard), gas tube, barrel nut (may come with and be specific to a floating handguard), muzzle device, sights, etc.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Starting with the lower... A lower parts kit, a buffer tube (I strongly suggest a carbine tube unless you're 6'4"), buffer and spring (spring depends on the tube you buy), a stock to fit your tube. If you want to run a better trigger than the craptastic military-style one, now is a good time to get one and put in. If it's a target/long range/precision rifle, a two stage trigger is probably the best way. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of a single stage.

Then you can either buy an upper assembly, or build one of those. You can either get an upper less barrel and bolt, or you can get a stripped upper, dust cover/pin/spring, bolt carrier and bolt, charging handle, forward assist/spring/pin. Pick your barrel (gas system length gets picked here), handguard, gas block (suggest low profile with a floating handguard), gas tube, barrel nut (may come with and be specific to a floating handguard), muzzle device, sights, etc.

Thanks for the list. I definitely want this to do this right and take my time. And getting the upper from Alex will help with the Texas "theme".

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    If you're lucky maybe you'll come across one of the KNS lower parts kits (made in Fredericksburg), although they are getting extremely hard to find as I do not believe they are making them anymore, and use a CMC drop-in trigger (made in Marble Falls).

There are a lot of Texas made lowers and uppers and Dreadnaught makes pretty nice stuff. Handguards, gas block, stock and grip, etc... can be obtained fairly easily, although expensively from Larue.

I have several Texas builds, but not any that are 100% Texas made components.

I have never found a Texas made barrel, BCG, buffer spring, buffer tube or buffer

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I prefer to use Texas stuff too, but I haven't found sources for everything either ;)

I console myself with the thought that the very existence of AR15 generates hippie tears.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    hippie tears.

If a jar of gypsy tears worn around neck will prevent from infect by Herpes and Gonnoreas. What can hippie tears prevent?
    borat-high-five.png

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I prefer to use Texas stuff too, but I haven't found sources for everything either ;)

I console myself with the thought that the very existence of AR15 generates hippie tears.

1367430961568.jpg

With any luck you can do it all up in Magpul TX style soon

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the list. I definitely want this to do this right and take my time. And getting the upper from Alex will help with the Texas "theme".

You're welcome. I probably missed some stuff in there, so the list is more an overview than anything.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I plan on starting my first custom AR saturday (at Saxet).
    I'm going to start with the lower using a dreadnought Industries stripped lower. What else exactly, do I need to get at the gunshow?
    I wanted to do a completely Texas build, but I guess thats not possible.
    Please tell me what parts to hunt for.
    This is going to be 5.56/223
    Thanks, Skip

LEGOs for big kids:eek:

Top Bottom