• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who prefers an OWB holster with a retention device like a thumb break?

• 1. Not worried about it.

Votes: 12 46.2%
    • 2. Yes, I always wear holsters with retention devices.

Votes: 9 34.6%
    • 3. Sometimes.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    IIRC, when the law was first passed there was a great deal of talk about the definition of a holster because the law used the word without defining it.
    Chances are if it's in a pocket, it's not very visible... and defining a holster in a way where it would exclude a pants pocket would be difficult.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a holster a requirement for OPEN carry. Concealed carry does not "require" a holster.

Effectively correct.

If any part of the pistol is plainly visible, the pistol must be holstered. If no part is plainly visible, the code is silent.

Let’s pull the thread. Let’s say @Moonpie wore his skin tight pleather hot pants to the local Glockshop and Drop today and stuck a little derringer in the front pocket. No part of the gun is visible, but the outline is obvious.

Can an LEO, upon the mere sight of this glorious image stop good ‘ol Moonpie to conduct an investigation as to what’s in his hot pants? If so, under what authority?

I think that’s the RCH people are trying to split.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Effectively correct.

If any part of the pistol is plainly visible, the pistol must be holstered. If no part is plainly visible, the code is silent.

Let’s pull the thread. Let’s say @Moonpie wore his skin tight pleather hot pants to the local Glockshop and Drop today and stuck a little derringer in the front pocket. No part of the gun is visible, but the outline is obvious.

Can an LEO, upon the mere sight of this glorious image stop good ‘ol Moonpie to conduct an investigation as to what’s in his hot pants? If so, under what authority?

Why have you been following me around?
    This makes me uncomfortable.
    Now I need to go see my therapist and write of this trauma in my journal.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Pocket carry completely concealed does not require a holster. It would be smart to use one though.
    I don't understand all of the questions here, if any part of the gun is visible it is open carry and needs a holster, if the gun is concealed it is not a requirement to be in a holster. OWB but completely covered is concealed carry even if it prints. So legally you can tuck your favorite .45 into your belt in the back like on TV and have it covered completely by your shirt and you are legal. You can also carry your .45 in a holster and have it visible in your car. The holster does not have to be on your body, just the gun must be holstered if it is visible. There is a big difference between legal and smart, go for the holster.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Why have you been following me around?
    This makes me uncomfortable.
    Now I need to go see my therapist and write of this trauma in my journal.

Think of me as your guardian angel. This is me most of your days:
    77994e65bdc66d4509c9a856efbfd9d2.jpg

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I wear OWB holsters but they are concealed under an untucked fishing shirt or similar. I never open carry and none of the holster that I use regularly has any kind of special retention device such as a thumb strap or police type retention device. Neither does any of the many holsters that are in a box that were tried and rejected that we all have.

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    I open carry with a locking system. Anyone not familiar with getting their finger in the correct recess to release it will fail. If I feel a tug on the holster my reaction will be to clamp my elbow against the grip while turning to the right to face the threat. At the same time my left hand will be reaching for my CS/Pepper can which I open carry on my opposite hip, with my spare mag. The would be snatcher will then get a face full of chemical nastiness.

Last edited:

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I open carry 90% of the time. If I'm at the house, I will use a level 1 holster. If I'm out in town, I will use a level 2 or 3 holster, depending on the firearm I choose to carry that day.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Effectively correct.

It would be a stretch...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Eh, be aware of who is around you. Don't let people get close. Retention holsters are not magic, and most retention holsters are meant to defend against a snatch from the front or side, not the rear. Even the arguable king of retention holsters - Safariland - is not immune to shit products either - the 7000 series holsters are a lot easier to break and snatch a gun from. The injection molded, screwed together holsters are not as strong as the wrap-around Boltaron made 6000 series holsters, and all of the current Safariland non-LE/security holsters are based on 7000 series designs. ALS isn't hard to defeat by itself. Their GLS is likewise easy enough to defeat by itself. Thumb breaks can be defeated. Rotating hoods can be defeated, especially the Spetz or the WRS hoods that are flexible plastic operated by a single motion / button push. An open top, form fit kydex holster is fine for open carry in plain clothes.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Fwiw....no LEO'S I know (and I know many) open carry off duty.....including my son....all CC.....

They aren't opposed to folks who do....but for all the reasons that have discussed to death....don't themselves...

Top Bottom