• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Well, I've read all posts and your replies - and there is little I could add to that, and would only want to take away from most of it. I've pared down my suggestions to only one.

My way is to first understand that every emergency is a come as you are event. I dont rely on expecting help from others, or that there will be cell service or any other modern thing, and that I may need to defend what I carry - whatever that entails.

Your biggest need will be hydration wherever you are. Hopefully you'd be able to go to a business or residence to ask to fill your water bottles, but depending on the situation - and how freaked out other people are - you might not be welcome through their gate.

That said, my suggestion would be to start now learning the natural water sources in areas you might be walking through. It'll take a while but I think you have time. As you drive to/from installs, take note of where the road crosses a river/creek/stream; then later mark on your maps where those waters are. Hopefully your maps also show where those waters go so you can plan your path as you go. Get your compass. No need to stay down in the creek bed - but choosing a route home that closely parallels water might be critical. For filtration I've used LifeStraws; they're light, pack easy, and sufficient to get home. Use them for every mouthful.

Best of luck!
    ARJ Defense ad

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I’d ditch all of the weather related crap and camping stuff aside from maybe a rain poncho and a medium weight jacket. With all that saved space, you might have room for a folding bicycle. There are plenty of bridges, cattle sheds, and other structures for temporary shelter. Plus if the situation is bad enough where I am on foot, I’d be like a cockroach hiding in the corners out of sight. No way would I pitching a tarp tent, lighting fires and sipping coffee. Keep it light. A life straw weighs nothing and takes little space so include one of those and a tumbler to reduce the water requirement to a single bottle or two. Some trail mix, dried fruit, MRE or something similar. Small triage kit, a reference book of edible plants and berries, bandana, compass and map. A handheld scanner or emergency radio. A flashlight, pocket knife and a few high capacity mags. If you want a bit of luxury, add half a roll of toilet paper. You can scavenge anything else you need along the way.
    Yep. Other than the foldable bike thing (which limits you to roads), and the edible plants/berries (unless you've already been doing it; this isn't a time for OJT) - I agree 100%. I'd add a 6x6 square of mosquito net to curl under for sleeping.

echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    For me the prep work is flexible, since I'm retired and a Kali occupant. Generally, my primary concern is getting over the Altamont Pass back into ag dirt. My "Pit" (SF Bay Aera) visitation rig is always the same, solo, .357 1 box ammo, 2 liters water, jerky. With spousal unit in tow, a couple .22 pistols & mags, brick of ammo, twice the water & jerky, 2 day packs. Another aspect for me, is to hunker down with armed Buds, access the situation and execute accordingly. If caught midway, commandeer a bike/motorcycle/walk, it's 30miles back to the barn from the top of the Pass with shelter halfway. Having been in ag in that area, I know all the roads that cross ditches, canals, or rivers. My son recently moved to Portland and we haven't gone to visit yet. When we do it's 2 Rossi .357 levers & a couple .357 revolvers. If at my summer gig I Idaho, I pack .41 mag Henry & Blackhawk, 20-gals fuel. It's a 12/14 hour strike to drive from our strip, but if it's truly a serious event I know I'd be able to jump in a flying machine and point south, and/or catch a ride with my ag pilot bud, who lives 12 miles from me in Kali. We'd be home in 6.

On a sideway note: when were on our way to meet my soon to be ex-nephew halfway from Phoenix, at Indio Kali, for the munchkins retrieval. We pulled into an '50s era "motor lodge" chosen based on the photo, taken from the one good angle. We'd been on the road 8 hours and were road fried and just parked it there. Our room had a kitchenette and was with a group of 3 units in the same quad where the hired help lived, based on the chairs outside and coffee cans full of butts We go after some libation, upon our return the only parking was behind a 4' revetment wall next to a dumpster. As we pull up the lid flys open and an obvious homeless dude crawls out with his bag of treasure, scurries across an alley, through a cyclone fence, into RV storage/ homeless camp. Get to our "room" and discover the bathroom window has no latch. Later we booby trap the window with the empty wine bottles. lay down a chair jammed around the head with another propped against rear door that opened to the alley. It was the first time I ever felt it prudent to set both loaded pistols out on the nightstands. PAX

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I travel to a limited area for work, it encompasses the Galveston area, Beaumont, Livingston, and Cypress to the West of San Antonio or Austin and surrounding areas, most days this is about 130 miles from home. This is a little over 2 hours drive time, but walking it would be much longer, I'd estimate under ideal conditions, 10 days. This is a guess based on my limited knowledge of the terrain and my ability to cover it. Most likely it would be longer.

I have been rebuilding my bag. I am shelter-heavy. I have a good tarp with tie-outs and stakes, a fairly heavy-duty survival blanket/tarp to use as ground cover or as a blanket, a heavy poncho with a woobie, and a sleeping pad, two large contractor bags. Other items are 72 hours of dried food, plus 10 packets of instant coffee, a fire kit, and a boo-boo kit, I do have 4 rolls of gauze, ace bandages for sprains or binding the gauze on a larger wound on an arm or leg. (I need to add some items to this for larger wounds and some Tylenol or Aleve for minor pain). Multiple knives, a quality folding saw, extra long wool socks, and beanie if it is cold here, assorted cordage (small spool of braided Kevlar, a roll of tarred bank line, 100 feet of 550), and a small fishing kit. I have a 64 oz. container for water (stainless steel), a way to heat/cook, this is a second stainless steel 1 qt. canteen, with "cup". I need to add purification tabs and filtration for water. I also have a flashlight with 2 sets of extra batteries a headlight and lined pigskin gloves. I always take a filled 2 qt. plastic canteen, for staying hydrated throughout the day. I do have a couple of maps I don't expect road signs to magically disappear, but need a compass and skills to use.

I will have my p365XL as I do every day with 2 extra magazines, a folding knife, and whatever tools I carry on the work truck. I'm thinking of something to cut wire (dykes) and assorted pliers. I keep a lightweight jacket in my work truck, hoodie-type

I did put in a hundred rounds of 22Lr because I might add my Buckmark, a holster to strap to the pack's shoulder harness, and extra magazines. I may need to acquire some small game animals along the way. I think I may need to add some seasoning to the pack, salt, and pepper.

One major concern is crossing the metro areas, I am used to using major freeways and highways and am not at all knowledgeable of what lies below or to the sides of the major arteries.

If anyone has any thoughts or critiques, please do.

You should work on getting where you can walk 15-20mi without too much soreness afterwards. If you can do 20mi "regularly" you only have a 3 or 4 day journey. Meaning you need to carry less stuff, carrying less stuff lets you move faster and draw less attention.

My goal for get home bags is keeping it small where it will fit in a generic college style backpack. A dude walking around with an enormous hiking pack will draw attention. It is too out of place here. A normal sized backpack is more difficult to notice and if seen isnt near as interesting to those who may seek to do harm or report you to someone.

Compromise pure function for a spectrum of function. A fixed blade knife and a leatherman multitool will be minimally redundant but massively ease life in the field

Keep the 22 pistol, keep the ammo, but 2x mags and a box of 50 should be PLENTY. if you get into a gun fight where you burn through that much ammo, you'll be fubar anyway so carrying more is only going to slow you down.

Modify the boo-boo kit by adding a tube of:
    -antibiotic cream
    -antifungal cream*
    -hydrocortisone creme (could skip this one)
    And add a handful of GOOD Band-Aid brand fabric bandages, they really are the best. Probably could do with less rolls of gauze, or switch to vac-packed for space. Any injuries much bigger than a booboo will need a dr or hospital. *the anti-fungal is good between toes to prevent blisters and prevents other foot and crotch issues...

I'd stick to 1x 32oz nalgene and a 1.5l Smart water bottle (they are skinny) max for water, dont forget to burp treatment to the threads or risk the consequences...

Shelter:
    A tarp and poncho and space blanket is too much imo, as are a full load of stakes. 2-4 stakes is plenty, there is no where you cannot use rocks or trees to tue to in the area you describe. Poncho or tarp, and include a mylar space blanket. There are some heavy duty ones that are better for making shelters. Get a roll of 2" gorilla tape and pull off 5 or 6 feet. I prefer to fold it. You'll lose the first section as it will be sticky side to sticky side, but continue wrapping so you end up with a 12x2x0.25" section of wrapped tape that is easier to pack than a fat roll. I'd pre-install tape tabs on the corners of the space blanket. Run loops of 550 under the tap to tie onto so you can avoid doing it in the field.

Consider a bivy, goretex or otherwise, they are warmer than a poncho sleeping, bug proof too. Poncho for shelter, bivy and woobie for sleeping.... a reinforced space blanket as a backup shelter.

I'd consider less food. Enough to do 24h comfortable will get you 48+ fine. If whatever prevents you from driving home is so bad you cannot buy food, you may not have a home to go back to.
    Do something that you can eat on the move without cooking. Noodle raman, for example, can be eaten dry, then mix the packet with water for a broth drink. If you can warm it great, but cold it is still edible. I'd do absolutely no more than a lighter and an esbit stove for a survival pack.

In the end, having a 22 pistol, a few rounds of ammo, a poncho, woobie, a little water and a few snacks will get you through 99.99999% of anything that could happen. The more you add to your kit to cover that last 0.000001% event the slower you can move and the more you need which actually will lower your ability to survive the more common stuff.

Don't forget a hundred or so bucks in smaller bills...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Someone mentioned trail mix, how will that hold up to the heat in an enclosed vehicle here in Texas, seems like the nuts would go rancid quickly, I am ignorant on that subject.

Natural water sources are fairly common where I travel, rivers (Brazos, Colorado, Trinity) and streams, stock ponds, I've noticed several solar powered water wells that people use to keep the stock tanks filled etc. When in the Austin/San Antonio area I note where the live water is flowing as I drive through the areas.

@Lead Belly, that is an item I have been researching as well. I have been considering something like this Makita 18V LXT Power Source since I use 18V LXT Makita tools. I have (6) 6 AH and (8) 5 AH batteries for my tools, at least half always have full charges

Edit: Wrong item linked

Edit : Correct item

Amazon product ASIN B09X64CZBD

@Grumps21, camping under a bridge is a no-go, I've seen the waterways rise up really quickly to do something like that, cow shed, I'm fullashit already I don't need that help either, and hay barn is very doable. Lifestraw, I have a few in another bag, and I need to transfer one.

Someone mentioned ditching the camping gear, being rested keeps you alert and functioning at a higher level, my opinion of course.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    You make very good points. I may be overcomplicating/overthinking the issue. My nickname when I was younger was "Overkill", cause I always came prepared for nearly every situation.

My daily foot gear has become Twisted X products. Very comfortable, good for walking. I'm on my feet all day long, climbing stairs and working on concrete floors. While it is somewhat heavy, I carry similar when going hunting. I do not use an ATV or motorized vehicle once I reach my hunting area. I'm starting heavy and have redundancy built in IF I need to discard gear.

I'm no longer a runner but a plodder. As to calories, I have a built-in backup supply, which I'm trying to remedy. I need to get back to workouts, while I can still carry heavy items up to 150 lbs. fairly easily, I'm no longer as strong as I once was. I'm not on or needing any meds as of yet.

The gear is based on having, IMO, a well-rounded pack, San Antonio/Austin area is dryer (need to be able to carry more water) than Beaumont/Galveston (more shelter, rains from off-shore). The need for hydration in my personal case will exceed what a normal person may need, I perspire heavily, and that is my normal. As I'm typing this I have the AC set at 76 and am perspiring, my body has always been "hot", not sexy hot, but temperature. I'm normally still wearing shorts and a T-shirt into the upper 30's low 40's.

Its not hard to find water in the Austin/SA region, there are many spring fed creeks and rivers... just walk downhill until you get to one.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    @cycleguy2300

Food, stretching out 3 days (72-Hour Kit) to make the 10+ days worse case. Need to add hard candy for on-the-go calories.

My pack is not a huge hunting/hiking pack. I just compressed stuff as much as possible.
    Chocolate, though it melts, is better than "candy". Chocolate has more fats which is more dense source for calories.

pecans, pistachios and nuts in general are a good source of Kcals.

3-days of food is a lot. 24h or 48h max supplemented with things you can find or buy.

Don't carry what you can get later, be it water or food, its wasted work.

I hiked about 60mi over the last 10 days. 18mi Thursday 10mi sunday and then 30ish miles over the next week teaching a Wilderness Patrol class... was sore after my 18mi hike, but I did it in 5h flat...wanst sore for anything else.

The 18mi day was a normal light breakfast of one bowl of cereal and then one slice of pizza (Homeslice, yum) and a coke as I went through Austin, no trail snacks.

A 12-15mi morning and similar afternoon isnt difficult out here with it being so flat and not at altitude(even in the hil country). You should be looking at 4-days moving max if you are trying to push to get home which should look like this: eat, 4h walking, 2h nap/lunch, 4h walking, eat sleep and repeat. That's 12h max up and about time leaving PLENTY making shelter and sleep. If you keep non-moving time short, eating as you walk, there is no reason a trail fit person carrying a small, light pack cannot do 12h of walking a day at a good clip and put 35-40mi behind them each day. Would it be hard? Yeah, but I'd rather walk farther each day than carry more. Everyday away from home is a day of being exposed to unneeded risk.

The only thing I forgot to mention was wet wipes. They are worth the weight (but carry a half-pack of them so its lighter)

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What is the "burp treatment to the threads"?
    You'll get untreated water on the threads, where your lips will go. Drop your treatment in, let it disolve and start its magic... then a few minutes later hold the bottle upside down and BARELY loosen the cap to flush the untreated water with treatment. Keeps the cooties...

It literally takes less than a drop of untreated water to give you giardia...

echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    Forgot to mention steri-straws. 1 per combatant. PAX

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I did see life straws mentioned I think a much better alternative would be a sawyer mini dual threaded filter. You can install it in line to your hydration pack or you can just fill a plastic water bottle with water and squeeze through the filter for filtering, or drink, straight from the dirty water bottle.

You might look at ditching the stainless steel canteen/water bottle for 2 “life water” plastic bottles. (Cheap - free)

With chemical treatment of water do you need to wait anywhere from 30 mins to 4 hours for it to take effect.

Pretty much unlimited water supply for you on your trip for $23.

Remember, grams equal ounces, ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain

Reconsider, the folding saw, I chose he Leatherman multi tool that has a small sawblade included. For the amount of wood cutting, you would need to do for this particular trip would probably be minimal and be able to be handled by the Leatherman saw. It also has a fairly decent wire cutter on it that you can possibly replace the standalone wire cutters you mentioned.

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    A small/lightweight canister of pepper spray or mace attached to your backpack strap to address stray dogs that may take too much interest in you. May keep you from having to discharge a firearm and attracting unwanted attention.

If you already have a suppressor for the 22, I would definitely include that, if you don’t already have one, I would not bother with purchasing one for this.
    You might want to consider bringing some subsonic 22 to keep the noise report lower than normal 22 if you’re planning to use this for hunting small game.

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    This kit I made up, as a backup to my filter, will disinfect (not filter) 50 qts of water and weighs next to nothing.

IMG_6030.jpeg

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I have a good tarp with tie-outs and stakes, a fairly heavy-duty survival blanket/tarp to use as ground cover or as a blanket, a heavy poncho with a woobie, and a sleeping pad, two large contractor bags.
    Like others have mentioned, my inputs are meant to be constructive and helpful not picking.

You might look at a late fall - early spring shelter vs spring summer fall set up.

The description above seems like it is your winter setup.

What size tarp are you packing? Do you know how much it weighs? Is it bigger than you really need for this application?

How heavy is your hd poncho?

I had originally planned on using a milsup poncho, (70’s vintage), but it weighs in at 3 lbs! I ended up going with a rain “cape” that doubles as a shelter. @ 10oz

Most of the aftermarket ponchos out there only came down to mid thigh, even though the were milspec, (I am 6’2””) not good.

I have only found a couple of manufacturers that have long enough ponchos.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    My poncho is heavy duty about 16 oz, in anticipation of possibly having to go thru heavy brush/woods. I have a problem with overthinking things, this can be a boon or problem. My tarp is 10 X 12 so a portion can serve as a ground barrier if needed, it is not a cheap chinamart tarp. The sleeping pad, due to the areas I travel, is there not only for comfort, but many areas are WET, low lying areas, keeping dry is important. Finding dry debris for sleeping in a wet area would be time consuming in a time when the need to travel needs to be used to the best.

Anyone that comments or makes suggestions are welcome, if I seem to be critical, my apologies. BTW I'm a portly guy, so I need things to sometimes be extra roomy, LOL.

El Coyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Spring, Texas
    I’d ditch all of the weather related crap and camping stuff aside from maybe a rain poncho and a medium weight jacket. With all that saved space, you might have room for a folding bicycle. There are plenty of bridges, cattle sheds, and other structures for temporary shelter. Plus if the situation is bad enough where I am on foot, I’d be like a cockroach hiding in the corners out of sight. No way would I pitching a tarp tent, lighting fires and sipping coffee. Keep it light. A life straw weighs nothing and takes little space so include one of those and a tumbler to reduce the water requirement to a single bottle or two. Some trail mix, dried fruit, MRE or something similar. Small triage kit, a reference book of edible plants and berries, bandana, compass and map. A handheld scanner or emergency radio. A flashlight, pocket knife and a few high capacity mags. If you want a bit of luxury, add half a roll of toilet paper. You can scavenge anything else you need along the way.
    Hi and yes ditch all of the stuff only the bare minimum to get you were you are going and yes use the terrain to your advantage hide keep low profile. until you get to your destination and of course by al means your weapon and of course your water you can go a few days withour food or carry a few power bars in your bug out bag these are only my opinion

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom