• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I had to go grocery shopping this morning which for me is 30 minutes one way. I don't know whats going on, but I never seen so much beef outside their fences as today. And they were spread out along most my trip. Just last week I notice a unlucky cow taking a nap along 39. She was fresh because the turkey buzzards hadn't even found her yet. Hopefully whatever she collided with was big enough to survive the hit.
    Lynx Defense

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    When the grass goes dormant in the pasture from heat and lack of rain the ditches are often still somewhat green. Cattle can see the difference. Surprisingly, cattle are pretty good jumpers, easily clearing a 6 foot fence with no run up. Common cattle fencing is just over 4 feet tall. Most will stay inside the fence but now and then you get a jumper. We usually haul the jumpers to the next auction but sometimes a clueless drunk townie tests the frontal impact performance of his vehicle against a cow that’s totally mystified by cars at high speed with brights ablazing. When we drive in the pastures, cows have the right of way.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No cows but do have a cowboy hat. Black angus lives matter.

Was in a restaurant one afternoon - idiot a table over started up on me for whatever reason, said the old "All hat, no cattle" line (I was wearing my <even then> worn-out straw work hat>. I looked at him and laughed. Buddy I was with told him he'd just helped me move about 50 head from one pasture to another. Yeah - I don't miss them days!

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Never dealt with a long horn but I have had a few close scrapes with a Holstein bull. They will stalk you with all intent to kill you. Not too many fences can hold back a 2000+ pounder with a bad attitude. They belong in the freezer, not my land.

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    When the grass goes dormant in the pasture from heat and lack of rain the ditches are often still somewhat green.

Interesting and good explanation. Thanks.

On another note, I choose to believe that cattle wandering around on public roadways are free for the taking.

Now I need to figure out how to get them into the bed of my truck without shooting them first. :abduction:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Interesting and good explanation. Thanks.

On another note, I choose to believe that cattle wandering around on public roadways are free for the taking.

Now I need to figure out how to get them into the bed of my truck without shooting them first. :abduction:
    Current law punishes cattle thieves with a third-degree felony, which is punishable by as much as 10 years in prison and a fine of as much as $10,000 if they steal more than 10 head of cattle, horses or exotic livestock.

Top Bottom