• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I believe it was Westside Shooting. Appreciate you letting me know it's shotgun only.

Commercial or club is fine either way. Distance is not an issue.
    Anytime. My daughter 4H team practices there once a month at the Sporting Clay and Five stand stations. We have a team membership with them just like Greater Houston Gun Club where my daughter practices with them 3 times a month as her SCTP and NSCA team practices there.
    Hurley's Gold

LL_Spartan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2023
    Houston
    Yeah, but if he's looking for a private club, Bayou Rifles, the Addicks range, is out that way. Too bad he just missed the latest membership cutoff, though, if that was what he wanted.
    Honestly never really had to good of a time out there. When I could get in early and be left alone it was nice but a few to many of the RSO's wanted to act like they were feds when it came to my suppressors. I get what the range policy says, but they are still a fudd for asking for my paper work.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    they are still a fudd for asking for my paper work.
    Bayou Rifles is definitely a Fudd club.

When I attended orientation, the president of the club actually told everyone "Don't even wear a holster when you're here." That's how much of a Fudd club they are; under no circumstances are you allowed to draw from a holster.

But for formal target shooting in the old, established disciplines (and a few of the newer ones), they're awfully good.

Different clubs for different tastes.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I've been a member of Bayou for several years and they still won't embrace steel targets.
    Definitely a bunch of old Fudds there.
    I haven't been there yet since the last bit of construction though.
    They are really scared that a bullet will leave the property and I think that fear has bloomed into other silly rules like the no steel. Its still the closest 1000 yard range to me.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I haven't been around for a while. I've moved back to Houston. The Boyert Range on Westheimer was closed for a while but now it's a Range USA facility (9099 Westheimer). I had figured I'd be back at Top Gun. The two are equal distance from me but also very close so it doesn't matter much. I recently shot at both and while I have a lot of history at Top Gun I had to go with the Range USA. The lighting at Top Gun is..well..let's call it "not good". Like shooting in a cave for these old eyes. Range USA is lit up like an operating room. I'm considering sunscreen.

Cost is about the same. The "ambiance" is better at Top Gun. Range USA locations tend to be a bit corporate-sterile but always clean modern facilities. But I'm there to shoot and the Range USA facility is much nicer. Top Gun is showing its age.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Typically go to Texas Gun Club in Stafford because it’s close to my house.

If I’m in the Lake Jackson area visiting my folks I sometimes drop by Big Kountry in Richwood.

I really need to check other places in the area

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I haven't been around for a while. I've moved back to Houston. The Boyert Range on Westheimer was closed for a while but now it's a Range USA facility (9099 Westheimer). I had figured I'd be back at Top Gun. The two are equal distance from me but also very close so it doesn't matter much. I recently shot at both and while I have a lot of history at Top Gun I had to go with the Range USA. The lighting at Top Gun is..well..let's call it "not good". Like shooting in a cave for these old eyes. Range USA is lit up like an operating room. I'm considering sunscreen.

Cost is about the same. The "ambiance" is better at Top Gun. Range USA locations tend to be a bit corporate-sterile but always clean modern facilities. But I'm there to shoot and the Range USA facility is much nicer. Top Gun is showing its age.

I’ve heard range USA has a limit on rapid fire, is that true at the Houston location?

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I’ve heard range USA has a limit on rapid fire, is that true at the Houston location?
    Yes. More ranges have that restriction than don't these days. Considering what I've seen happen at ranges over the decades I can't say I blame them. I for one like the rule but I understand why it seems to upset a lot of shooters. But their range, their rules. Top Gun might. They rent NFA weapons so they'd pretty much have too.

BB76

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2023
    Katy
    Hi All,
    I just moved back to Texas recently. Y'all have any recommendation for a good outdoor range near Katy/Fulshear/Brookshire areas.
    Thanks in advance

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2022
    Houston
    Hi All,
    I just moved back to Texas recently. Y'all have any recommendation for a good outdoor range near Katy/Fulshear/Brookshire areas.
    Thanks in advance
    Wallis/Orchard range isn't too far from you, got rifle, pistol, shotgun. rifle range is 100-400, steel targets from 200-400. No ammo restrictions, pretty nice place to do as you will.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wallis/Orchard range isn't too far from you,
    You and I have very different definitions of "isn't too far."

Katy/Fulshear shooters will mostly likely join Bayou Rifles (if they are willing to put up with the rampant Fudd-ery) or, for a commercial range, go to American Shooting Center.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    For locals who follow this thread, does the Texas City Municipal Shooting Range still exist?

Same question for the HW Gun Range and Shooting Center.

Their websites are gone and I'm wondering if they no longer exist or maybe I just need to find a new link and update page one. A little help from folks near them would be much appreciated.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Hi All,
    Thanks in advance
    Boyert shooting range off of Mason rd in Katy. Its and indoor range I went to with a group from TGT once. It was a nice range

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    For locals who follow this thread, does the Texas City Municipal Shooting Range still exist?

Same question for the HW Gun Range and Shooting Center.

Their websites are gone and I'm wondering if they no longer exist or maybe I just need to find a new link and update page one. A little help from folks near them would be much appreciated.
    HWSC shut down and went up for sale a year ago.
    I would imagine it’s already strip centers and subdivisions full of Californian’s by now.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Typically go to Texas Gun Club in Stafford because it’s close to my house.

If I’m in the Lake Jackson area visiting my folks I sometimes drop by Big Kountry in Richwood.

I really need to check other places in the area
    They tried to charge me a $100 “storage fee” while waiting for my tax stamp on the first supressor I got. It was a new fee they put in place after I ordered it, and I was only informed of the policy change when I picked up the can. They had me by the short hairs and not much I could do at that point. They reduced it to $60 as a good will gesture, but that’s still a very shady deal.

BB76

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2023
    Katy
    Wallis/Orchard range isn't too far from you, got rifle, pistol, shotgun. rifle range is 100-400, steel targets from 200-400. No ammo restrictions, pretty nice place to do as you will.
    Look like a nice outdoor range and only 15 miles from me. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

Top Bottom