• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Thanks for all the help and comments. I can put this to bed now. My wife made it a moot point, said she didn't want to risk a scene with a couple thousand people in the lobby, ballroom, and restaurants because of my having a gun. So I just left it at home in the safe. She also insisted that the dress code for this event was above what I was wearing, so I also changed my clothes. What I found, though, was this. After finally finding parking in the attached garage (the hotel and an office building are attached with adjoining lobbies), I walked into the garage hotel entrance, and there were no signs of any kind. No 30.06 or even 30.07. I had intended to check the front door too, but the level of activity--aka pandemonium--with hundreds of dance groups practicing in the lobby, eating carried in lunches, looking for where to go, etc., I never made it to the front door. However going through two doors into the hotel and and also saw the office building entrance, which was not posted, I'm fairly confident this is a non-posted hotel.

Oh, and after seeing how everyone was dressed, I also needn't have changed my clothes, either.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I was there around 10 years ago and they had a warning sign about the dangers of walking around that neighborhood to the Mall after dark.

A few years before that, Greenspoint Mall was known as Gun Point Mall.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    I was there around 10 years ago and they had a warning sign about the dangers of walking around that neighborhood to the Mall after dark.
    A few years before that, Greenspoint Mall was known as Gun Point Mall.
    Gunspoint is what they called it.

Yeah, and it was safer then than it is now. My wife ended up staying the night with the daughter and granddaughter. I reminded her that they shouldn't leave the building. They had activities until after 10:30, so it was a minimal probability of coming up, but just in case. Interesting how misleading the initial impression can be. The hotel looks modern and upscale, as do the office buildings in the immediate vicinity. Even the row of apartments across the street from the parking garage look, at first glance, pretty nice. You only need watch for a few minutes before you see residents come and go, and then you realize what is right across the street from this place. Bulldozing those apartments and putting something better in their place would be a start, but right across the freeway is a whole 3rd world area. The hotel and office buildings have significant private security in place, but even the hotel guards will tell you that if you want something to eat other than the hotel restaurants, it's best to have it delivered. Indeed, I saw a lot of Domino's Pizza boxes in that lobby. Of course, a few hundred six to twelve year old girls will consume a lot of pizza. We had dinner in the Vino Restaurant in the hotel. It's prices made it a lot less crowded than the other restaurant. Worth it.

BTW, the rooms on the Concierge floor are really nice. Luckily a friend of my daughter was also staying, and her husband has a traveling job and got them a deal with some of his zillion Hilton Hotel points. I think the room otherwise was around $369 a night! At least they don't exclude CHL holders. :-)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom