• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMechanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    sd9ve, reliable as a glock, love it. Issue is i've put about 600 rounds through it and noticed to night when I was cleaning it the cup at the end of the guide rod that sits against the barrel lugs has warped a little bit. I've found Steel guide rod upgrades for it, but i've never been one for putting aftermarket parts in my guns except for sights. What do you guys thing? It runs fine with no issues, but i'd like to get it fixed to avoid possible future issues. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? Thoughts on it all, thanks in advance.

20150126_213505.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Some people have swapped to steel guide rods in the SDxVE's and had some problems with the frame getting beat to hell. If you go that route, just keep a close eye on it. Personally, I'd probably just get a backup/replacement factory guide rod assy and keep it in my range bag.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Check Galloway precision. I bought their stainless guide rod/spring for my SR9 so that I could increase spring weight from 18# to 20# for my 9mm +P loads. Works like a charm and I'm not much one for gadgets either, but since most 9mm pistols are sprung for standard pressure 35,000 PSI loads increasing spring weight helps and 20# is what Ruger uses for the SR40.

In any debate about beating up a 9 x 19mm pistol, particularly a poly framed one, many lose sight that there's little difference with the same pistols chambered in .40 S&W. When I started handloading in the mid 80s the pressure standard for the 9 x 19mm was 35,700 CUP where if you measure the same loads by the SAAMI PSI standard, they'll be close enough to 38,500 PSI for +P to get your notice. I've yet to beat a 9mm pistol to death while I've never saw any need to load any differently than how I started.

Since the Europeans use a higher pressure standard, they simply spring their pistols lighter for export to the US. Those manufacturers that still build their pistols in Europe, anyway. At one time the CZ 75 was available in the US chambered for 9 x 21mm that has a higher pressure rating than 9 x 19mm. Other than the chamber and cases being 2mms longer, the only other difference was the heavier recoil spring.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Well, guys, I'm a member at rugerforum.com and this is the first time I've heard of any problems using a SS guide rod with the 9e that's no different than my SR9 as far as frame and slide or recoil spring guide. I've had my SR9 for close to 2 years and it's rarely seen anything but +P type handloads with 124 gr. JHPs and I've been running the Galloway rod the with 20# spring since I've owned it. Opinions are fine, but just passing rumors, not so much.

I'm one of those people that prefer it to any 9mm Glock I've owned because if you do a trigger job the pull can be excellent and lighter where I've always felt that a manual safety is a good idea, particularly if you also shoot 1911s.

Last edited:

TheMechanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'll probably just go with my gut and stick to factory guide rod. As cheap as they are I figure I might as well and as said above keep an extra in my range bag. Unfortunately it's harder to find the damn original asmby than it is too find the SS. Here's one I found but it's for the SW9VE which is the gen1 and sd9ve are basically the gen2 so i'm not sure if it will work or not as far as fit and Lbs of tension. Should I send an email to smith? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Again I thank you all for the replies!

Smith & Wesson Recoil Spring Assembly SW9C SW9E SW9G SW9GP SW9P SW9V

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'll probably just go with my gut and stick to factory guide rod. As cheap as they are I figure I might as well and as said above keep an extra in my range bag. Unfortunately it's harder to find the damn original asmby than it is too find the SS. Here's one I found but it's for the SW9VE which is the gen1 and sd9ve are basically the gen2 so i'm not sure if it will work or not as far as fit and Lbs of tension. Should I send an email to smith? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Again I thank you all for the replies!

Smith & Wesson Recoil Spring Assembly SW9C SW9E SW9G SW9GP SW9P SW9V

First off, other than appearance, the guide rod flange in the pic you posted won't cause any problems, but, Ruger will replace it for free, so why not.

Secondly, I would not accept rumour as fact, particularly if the source of (e issues came from Glock Talk. If you have an aptitude consistent with your screen name, I can easily debunk, the BS. Because some Glockers have a hard time with a pistol that's every bit as good, if not better, while costing $100 less and that's the SR9. The 9e drops it to at least $150. Other than swapping the adjustable sights for fixed, blueing (oxide) rather than nitriding the slide and giving you 1 magazine rather than 2, it is "essentially" an SR9.

The guide rod in the SR9 series has NO interaction with the frame, period. It has a stainless steel camblock, that along with the barrels underlug is the only thing the flange at the end of the guide rod comes into contact with. Compare Ruger's CamBlock to Glocks . . . OOoops, you can't, because the Glock doesn't have one. This concept comes from SIG/Sauer and the P-22X series where a steel camblock was used to prevent any battering of the alloy frame, and even then, polymer absorbs recoil better than aluminum alloy. The Ruger ss camblock is pinned to the frame in 3 different locations and on top of that, there's the much larger diameter slide stop pin.

There is another issue that most inexperienced shooters overlook and you'll find that their percentages tend to be higher among Glock owners than just about any pistol in existence. That is Ruger's polymer compound, which so far as I know with the P-95, was the first poly-frame that eliminated steel inserts for the frame rails. They are polymer and integral to the frame. Others have tried with 9mm pistols to one degree or another with varying degrees of success. BUT, the .45 ACP is another animal in terms of recoil stresses and to date, only Ruger has made a polymer frame with the slide rails integral to the frame, and they did it twice, where no one else has done it once. The P-97 and the P-345.

Whatever you want to do concerning your guide rail is up to you, but I highly recommend that you not get "facts" on Rugers from Glock Talk or shooters that don't even know their way around their own Glocks.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Why are you ranting about the SR9? Dude has an SD40VE - made by Smith and Wesson.

Because Glock dumbasses don't have enough brain's to know the difference. S&W had their asses sued off from supposedly copying Glock. Compare the number of Ka-Boom incidents from S&W SIGMA'S to those of Glocks in .40 S&W that in the early years were merely the G17/19 with a larger hole drilled in the barrel for the larger diameter bullet; using a heavier recoil spring. Try explaining that in a civil court in a patent infringement lawsuit in the US. Land of, "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit," where the typical American can tell you who the top 5 rap artists are but can't name the first 5 presidents of the US. S&W engineered the SIGMA around the .40 S&W, their proprietary cartridge. They got it right, where today, some believe that Glock has finally figured out the concept of support of the case-head for S&W's .40 cartridge. Not so much.

Why would I rant about the 2nd amendment when we have a communist tyrant in the whitehouse. That's the level that American stupidity has stooped to. Evidenced from idiots who couldn't pass a 10th grade-level GED examination before being given a high school diploma.

Essentially, the S&W SIGMA never really got the chance to compete head-to-head with Glock because of dumbasses that thought they have, "brains." Ruger has easily surpassed either while the majority of shooters haven't even handloaded their first cartridge, let alone have the ability to discriminate against the follow the herd (i.e. Jerry Springer) mentality of buying a Glock because it's used by more LOCAL LE Agencies than any other pistol without understanding the big scheme of things.

Glock virtually gives their pistols to LE for the marketing value while knowing that less than 1/4 of them are active shooters and probably fewer of them believe in the right the forefathers intended to give us in the keep and bear arms thing. Then they buy them back for little and then turn around and sell them for nearly their new retail price to morons that think they have, "Brains." So we have a majority of shooters espousing the wonders of Glock when their too frickin' stupid to know any difference. Kinda like Texans re-electing John Cornyn to the senate because he says nice things about sportsmen in his comments and at his website while being a RINO suck-up who's only interested in the retirement benefits he knows are headed his way while bending over for the Abomination and selling us OUT.

So, what are the odds that everything I said in my last post, where I ranted, didn't fly right over your Brains. Why do US Service personnel carry an originally foreign made service pistol while our elite military units tend to favor John Browning 1911s in .45 ACP? Why will Ho-Larry Clinton be the next POTUS while John Cornyn supposedly opposes the ugly bitch of the anti-Christ, but wants to keep the status quo? You know, the first dike whose husband allowed secrets to leak from the nuclear regulatory commission that advanced Chinese warhead technology by 20 years without any semblance of MERV capability.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    yeah the revolvers are awesome. Their semi auto stuff sucks especially when comparing them to glock. I'm a big fan of the mk series pistols though.

Well tell us oh wise one, which Glock would that be, one of the exploding variety? I won't defend any of their past pistols beyond what they were: good, reliable and inexpensive service pistols too large to carry except on the hip.

What is this superiority that you imagine where the design hasn't changed or appreciably updated since its introduction into the US around 1985? You think it's timeless or something? It ain't no 1911 and try to find any special warfare professional who would choose one over a 1911 or any other pistol that's superseded it like the XD, Walther or HK or a Ruger which you've obviously never directly compared to a Glock. Sights? Ruger's are fully adjustable, but then again, so were Glocks imported into the US to obtain the necessary BTF score for importation as a result of the GCA 68. Then Glock in Smyrna, Ga. removed them and replaced them with the junk u-dot plastic versions that you end up getting if you don't pay more for a tritium option.

That superior polygonal rifling? HK started that crap, as well as polymer frames long before Gaston got tired of his wife and replaced her with a woman younger than his daughter. I can easily imagine that you've yet to load your first cartridge, maybe even supported the demo-commies responsible for ammo and component shortages, so how many rounds are you putting through your Glocks. Some die-hard glocksters will defend the practice of firing cast lead through polygonal bores with explanations they don't even understand but memorized from some theorists blog while just as many, if not more experienced handloaders know that leading of the bore can and does occur. To a dangerous level in some cases. This while the SR9/40/45s have conventional land and groove rifling, not to mention that the barrels are stainless steel.

Did you catch that part where I said compare the camblock in the Ruger SRs to that in the Grock? Then, of course I corrected myself and said, OOoops, you won't find one in a Grock. Structurally? A Grock would have to stand on its mother's shoulders in order to be able to kiss the Ruger's ass, but that's probably beyond your comprehension.

Accuracy? I've owned both brands and I'll be glad to shoot with anyone for beer money that would like to show up with their Grock. Not to mention the number of handloads I've shot from the rest for accuracy testing.

So why is it that they're revolvers are awesome, DUDE, but their SR poly's suck, DUDE? Because Grock can't design another pistol type, of any kind, DUDE?

New Braunfels? That sounds suspiciously close to the democommie mecca of Austin where asswipes that screw up their own states leave and then flock to a city that would be better located in the People's Republic of Kaliforniastan . . . . DUDE.

xcrazydx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014
    Because Glock dumbasses don't have enough brain's to know the difference. S&W had their asses sued off from supposedly copying Glock. Compare the number of Ka-Boom incidents from S&W SIGMA'S to those of Glocks in .40 S&W that in the early years were merely the G17/19 with a larger hole drilled in the barrel for the larger diameter bullet; using a heavier recoil spring. Try explaining that in a civil court in a patent infringement lawsuit in the US. Land of, "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit," where the typical American can tell you who the top 5 rap artists are but can't name the first 5 presidents of the US. S&W engineered the SIGMA around the .40 S&W, their proprietary cartridge. They got it right, where today, some believe that Glock has finally figured out the concept of support of the case-head for S&W's .40 cartridge. Not so much.

Why would I rant about the 2nd amendment when we have a communist tyrant in the whitehouse. That's the level that American stupidity has stooped to. Evidenced from idiots who couldn't pass a 10th grade-level GED examination before being given a high school diploma.

Essentially, the S&W SIGMA never really got the chance to compete head-to-head with Glock because of dumbasses that thought they have, "brains." Ruger has easily surpassed either while the majority of shooters haven't even handloaded their first cartridge, let alone have the ability to discriminate against the follow the herd (i.e. Jerry Springer) mentality of buying a Glock because it's used by more LOCAL LE Agencies than any other pistol without understanding the big scheme of things.

Glock virtually gives their pistols to LE for the marketing value while knowing that less than 1/4 of them are active shooters and probably fewer of them believe in the right the forefathers intended to give us in the keep and bear arms thing. Then they buy them back for little and then turn around and sell them for nearly their new retail price to morons that think they have, "Brains." So we have a majority of shooters espousing the wonders of Glock when their too frickin' stupid to know any difference. Kinda like Texans re-electing John Cornyn to the senate because he says nice things about sportsmen in his comments and at his website while being a RINO suck-up who's only interested in the retirement benefits he knows are headed his way while bending over for the Abomination and selling us OUT.

So, what are the odds that everything I said in my last post, where I ranted, didn't fly right over your Brains. Why do US Service personnel carry an originally foreign made service pistol while our elite military units tend to favor John Browning 1911s in .45 ACP? Why will Ho-Larry Clinton be the next POTUS while John Cornyn supposedly opposes the ugly bitch of the anti-Christ, but wants to keep the status quo? You know, the first dike whose husband allowed secrets to leak from the nuclear regulatory commission that advanced Chinese warhead technology by 20 years without any semblance of MERV capability.
    Y so mad, bro?

Top Bottom