• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shinnosuke

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    San Antonio
    And yet Bitcoin is the most exciting thing to happen to currency in the last decade. Explain?

Some people have made a lot of money. Others have lost everything when Mt. Gox, for example, went bust. Personally, I prefer my money independent of electricity, and the Internet.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Some people have made a lot of money. Others have lost everything when Mt. Gox, for example, went bust. Personally, I prefer my money independent of electricity, and the Internet.

To be honest, one of the reasons I keep current as a paramedic (on the side, full time in tech/consulting) is that I know it's a skill set that would be in demand should SHTF. In other words, I can barter skills, which have no carry weight and can't be stolen from me.

shinnosuke

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    San Antonio
    To be honest, one of the reasons I keep current as a paramedic (on the side, full time in tech/consulting) is that I know it's a skill set that would be in demand should SHTF. In other words, I can barter skills, which have no carry weight and can't be stolen from me.

Your skills should be in high demand. If you are not already a highly-prized member of a group of like-minded individuals, you should be. I have a nurse in my small group.

Now, how does that saying go...?
    Noobs talk about stuff. Pros talk about skills...or something like that.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

That's a skillset I wish I had. Definitely a hot commodity in an emergency or SHTF.

Sometimes rubbing dirt on it just doesn't cut it, lol

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Your skills should be in high demand. If you are not already a highly-prized member of a group of like-minded individuals, you should be. I have a nurse in my small group.

Officially, no. Unofficially, we know who's who when it hits.

Another thing - I gave my brothers-in-law .22LR rifles for Christmas this year. I'd call that a strong hint in their direction. The gifts were well received and at least one nephew is a shooter now, too.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    That's a skillset I wish I had. Definitely a hot commodity in an emergency or SHTF.

Sometimes rubbing dirt on it just doesn't cut it, lol

Many volunteer fire departments will put you through ECA or EMT training (the basics, everything 'external' to the body... bandaging, broken bones/splinting, childbirth) for free in exchange for volunteering.

Honestly, most of what you'd get in American Red Cross First Aid and a good Wilderness Medicine course (ask around at REI) is enough for 80% of what you'd encounter.

My biggest downside as a paramedic is that much of the advanced life support gear and medicines would have to be acquired and maintained for me to be able to use them. I've got some of the "manual" stuff, but $10K+ for a non-automatic EKG/deifbrillator is a hard-sell, especially considering that FIXING those kind of problems requires medications that require a prescription to order and/or time in a monitored environment... if not outright surgery. For me, the "basics" that any EMT can perform are more likely to be used.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    And yet Bitcoin is the most exciting thing to happen to currency in the last decade. Explain?
    Bitcoin is to traditional currency as the internets is to newspaper. It's not just another currency; it's a decentralized peer to peer payment system. It has more useful capabilities as well that haven't been explored yet.

Mt. Gox, for example, went bust.
    Mt. Gox lied about their security levels and got hacked. Probably from the inside. Similar to keeping money in an offshore bank and them getting "robbed".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    One of the funniest conversations I get to have is when someone says "When everything goes to hell, I'm coming to your house"

And I get to say "No you're not."

Lately it's become more common to ask "depends on what you can bring".

"Lead, bread, or spread. Nobody stays for free."

Sent from my HAL 9000

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    "Lead, bread, or spread. Nobody stays for free.

That's funny because back in the 70s the saying for hitch-hikers or asking for a ride was "Gas, Ass, or Grass", nobody rides for free.

Living in a rural area and having a skill, fuel and machinery to be able to fix or fabricate almost anything will be valuable as well as having land and livestock (if the world is not contaminated to death).

bob

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    oooh.... it just dawned on me the range cards are for other people. Doesn't matter than I "just know it." Yeah, I'm gonna make some, lol

Top Bottom