• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shinnosuke

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    San Antonio
    Cash is on the way out, especially big bills. Welcome to Barter Town!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-18/end-economic-liberty-war-cash-wont-end-well
    These are strange monetary times, with negative interest rates and central bankers deemed to be masters of the universe. So maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that politicians and central bankers are now waging a war on cash. That’s right, policy makers in Europe and the U.S. want to make it harder for the hoi polloi to hold actual currency.

Mario Draghi fired the latest salvo on Monday when he said the European Central Bank would like to ban €500 notes. A day later Harvard economist and Democratic Party favorite Larry Summers declared that it’s time to kill the $100 bill, which would mean goodbye to Ben Franklin. Alexander Hamilton may soon—and shamefully—be replaced on the $10 bill, but at least the 10-spots would exist for a while longer. Ol’ Ben would be banished from the currency the way dead white males like him are banned from the history books.

Limits on cash transactions have been spreading in Europe since the 2008 financial panic, ostensibly to crack down on crime and tax avoidance. Italy has made it illegal to pay cash for anything worth more than €1,000 ($1,116), while France cut its limit to €1,000 from €3,000 last year. British merchants accepting more than €15,000 in cash per transaction must first register with the tax authorities. Fines for violators can run into the thousands of euros. Germany’s Deputy Finance Minister Michael Meister recently proposed a €5,000 cap on cash transactions. Deutsche Bank CEO John Cryan predicted last month that cash won’t survive another decade.

The enemies of cash claim that only crooks and cranks need large-denomination bills. They want large transactions to be made electronically so government can follow them. Yet these are some of the same European politicians who blew a gasket when they learned that U.S. counterterrorist officials were monitoring money through the Swift global system. Criminals will find a way, large bills or not.

The real reason the war on cash is gearing up now is political: Politicians and central bankers fear that holders of currency could undermine their brave new monetary world of negative interest rates. Japan and Europe are already deep into negative territory, and U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said last week the U.S. should be prepared for the possibility. Translation: That’s where the Fed is going in the next recession.

Negative rates are a tax on deposits with banks, with the goal of prodding depositors to remove their cash and spend it to increase economic demand. But that goal will be undermined if citizens hoard cash. And hoarding cash is easier if you can take your deposits out in large-denomination bills you can stick in a safe. It’s harder to keep cash if you can only hold small bills.

So, presto, ban cash. This theme has been pushed by the likes of Bank of England chief economist Andrew Haldane and Harvard’s Kenneth Rogoff, who wrote in the Financial Times that eliminating paper currency would be “by far the simplest” way to “get around” the zero interest-rate bound “that has handcuffed central banks since the financial crisis.” If the benighted peasants won’t spend on their own, well, make it that much harder for them to save money even in their own mattresses.

All of which ignores the virtues of cash for law-abiding citizens. Cash allows legitimate transactions to be executed quickly, without either party paying fees to a bank or credit-card processor. Cash also lets millions of low-income people participate in the economy without maintaining a bank account, the costs of which are mounting as post-2008 regulations drop the ax on fee-free retail banking. While there’s always a risk of being mugged on the way to the store, digital transactions are subject to hacking and computer theft.

Cash is also the currency of gray markets—amounting to 20% or more of gross domestic product in some European countries—that governments would love to tax. But the reason gray markets exist is because high taxes and regulatory costs drive otherwise honest businesses off the books. Politicians may want to think twice about cracking down on the cash economy in a way that might destroy businesses and add millions to the jobless rolls. The Italian economy might shut down without cash.

By all means people should be able to go cashless if they like. But it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that the politicians want to bar cash as one more infringement on economic liberty. They may go after the big bills now, but does anyone think they’d stop there? Why wouldn’t they eventually ban all cash transactions much as they banned gold and silver as mediums of exchange?

Beware politicians trying to limit the ways you can conduct private economic business. It never turns out well.
    Capitol Armory ad

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Cash facilitates crime the same way guns facilitate murder.

All the justifications are the same thing we hear about removing any freedom. If it can't be controlled they want to ban it.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Honestly, I'd rather see "cash" in all its forms (electronic, physical, digital, etc.) demolished. The concept of cash is an interesting adaptation of barter where a trade value is based off a meaningless thing such as currency. Think about it, cash has what value, really? It's not backed by gold, or anything else really. Cash is only relevant because governments MAKE it relevant. I think the world would be a substantially different place without it, possibly for the better.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Honestly, I'd rather see "cash" in all its forms (electronic, physical, digital, etc.) demolished. The concept of cash is an interesting adaptation of barter where a trade value is based off a meaningless thing such as currency. Think about it, cash has what value, really? It's not backed by gold, or anything else really. Cash is only relevant because governments MAKE it relevant. I think the world would be a substantially different place without it, possibly for the better.

Well, my HOA won't allow me to keep livestock in my backyard, & I really wouldn't want to have to raise/feed it, what else do you propose we use to barter with if you want to do away with currency?

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Well, my HOA won't allow me to keep livestock in my backyard, & I really wouldn't want to have to raise/feed it, what else do you propose we use to barter with if you want to do away with currency?
    Lol. I'll trade you two chickens for a keg of beer.

Lots can still be traded... Services, metals, food, fuel, etc. List could go on forever.

Now, the likelihood of currency disappearing, voluntarily, is slim to none with the dependency the global economy has on it. I do, however, think it will become useless during extreme crises suchlike an economic destruction, global disaster, etc.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Lol. I'll trade you two chickens for a keg of beer.

Lots can still be traded... Services, metals, food, fuel, etc. List could go on forever.

Now, the likelihood of currency disappearing, voluntarily, is slim to none with the dependency the global economy has on it. I do, however, think it will become useless during extreme crises suchlike an economic destruction, global disaster, etc.

I'd need more than two chickens for a keg, but I like where you're going with this. I just kegged a brown ale last night :)

shinnosuke

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    San Antonio

What you're talking about is fiat money -- an object declared to be legal tender by some government entity. Our paper money used to be backed gold, and our coins, except for the penny and nickel, were silver. Both gold and silver have been recognized as real money everywhere for thousands of years.

Even the Federal Reserve Notes used to be called silver certificates which you could exchange for silver. The wording above and below George Washington's image reads: This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of The United States of America...One Dollar in silver payable to bearer on demand. So originally, Americans recognized the importance of something backing the paper money. Now, most are too dumbed-down to understand how vulnerable our financial conditions are.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep.

It's much easier to do business when there is one lightweight and small item that has an agreed upon value that is commonly available for trade.

I do enjoy being able to sell my gun for X dollars which I can take to the gun store and use the X dollars to buy a new gun and the dollars have the same value.

It's be a pain to work out a barter deal for the gun, then go to the gun store only to find they don't want 6 chickens, a calf, 2 rims off a 97 Chevy, and a the hood ornament from a Mac truck.

Sent from my HAL 9000

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    What you're talking about is fiat money -- an object declared to be legal tender by some government entity. Our paper money used to be backed gold, and our coins, except for the penny and nickel, were silver. Both gold and silver have been recognized as real money everywhere for thousands of years.

Correct, USED to be. That's what I meant by metals in my list (gold, silver, iron, copper, tin, etc.) among other things. I'm talking about killing a piece of paper that someone else tells me is worth a dollar. Why is that piece of paper worth a dollar? Because you said so? Well then, take all my gold! That's basically what our government did when they fell off a metal backed currency in the 70's. A set value can be be achieved without our government telling us what something is worth. A free market will tell us what something is worth.

Last edited:

shinnosuke

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    San Antonio
    Correct, USED to be. That's what I meant by metals in my list (gold, silver, iron, copper, tin, etc.) among other things. I'm talking about killing a piece of paper that someone else tells me is worth a dollar. Why is that piece of paper worth a dollar? Because you said so? Well then, take all my gold! That's basically what our government did when they fell off a metal backed currency in the 70's. A set value can be be achieved without our government telling us what something is worth. A free market will tell us what something is worth.

Thanks for clarifying. We see eye to eye.

shinnosuke

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    San Antonio
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...te-compare-cash-firearm-which-guarantees-free

Some politicians in Switzerland are trying to prevent the outlawing of cash. Here's some delicious tidbits from the article:

In this context "cash is comparable to the service firearm kept by Swiss citizen soldiers," the pair argued in their motion, saying they both “guarantee freedom”.

In France and Italy already cash payments of only up to 1,000 euros are allowed and the question of the abolition of cash is being seriously discussed and considered in Europe, “ Brunner said on his Facebook page.

The move toward electronic payments allows governments "total surveillance" over individuals, the pair claim.

As we predicted over a year ago, in a world in which QE has failed, and in which the ice-cold grip of NIRP has to be global in order to achieve its intended purpose of forcing savers around the world to spend the taxed product of their labor, one thing has to be abolished: cash.
    This explains the recent flurry of articles in outlets such as BBG and the FT, and op-eds by such "established" economists as Larry Summers, all advocating the death of cash, a process which would begin by abolishing high denomination bills and continue until all physical cash in circulation is eliminated, something we warned about when the first made it first NIRP hint last September.
    We were s rather surprised by the candor of a WSJ piece overnight which actually told it how it is:

The real reason the war on cash is gearing up now is political:Politicians and central bankers fear that holders of currency could undermine their brave new monetary world of negative interest rates. Japan and Europe are already deep into negative territory, and U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said last week the U.S. should be prepared for the possibility.Translation: That’s where the Fed is going in the next recession.

Top Bottom