• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Got the f*ck outta that cesspool soon as I could, propelled by Sylvester’s regime. Sadly, the city, which I first experienced in 1951, is now the bell cow for where Texas is headed.
    In1982 when I got to Houston it was mind boggling how new & clean it was compared to the rust belt shit hole I left. I managed to stay ahead of the downfall of areas of town. The house while not in the greatest place paid off really well for me as the value increased. I still regret not selling that house when I was getting daily offer from builder for over $400K. I really thought it hit $500K

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    In1982 when I got to Houston it was mind boggling how new & clean it was compared to the rust belt shit hole I left. I managed to stay ahead of the downfall of areas of town. The house while not in the greatest place paid off really well for me as the value increased. I still regret not selling that house when I was getting daily offer from builder for over $400K. I really thought it hit $500K
    1982, with Reagan’s tax policies sad to say (which inadvertently ripped away the IDC (Intangible Drilling Costs) incentive to invest in domestic oil and gas drilling), was the beginning of the end of old time Houston’s robust economy, and its resultant slide into it’s current blue tint.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Love ya blue Houston broke? Color me shocked.

I don't (and wouldn't) live there and no idea of their financial condition. Though part of me wonders if the city leaders are just playing up the financial desperation to grease the skids for higher taxes and more pet lefty projects. Either way, it's the result of overwhelming dems at the helm and will ultimately result in an exodus of producers a la California, but on a smaller scale.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Prepare for infrastructure sales in 3....2...1

Chicago sold all 3600 parking meters for 75 years for $1Billion, Mayor Daley want to get Olympics. They sold the skyway toll road from Chicago to indiana to Australians for $ 2 Billion, faction of what it was worth.

Parks, etc will be up for highest bid.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    1982, with Reagan’s tax policies sad to say (which inadvertently ripped away the IDC (Intangible Drilling Costs) incentive to invest in domestic oil and gas drilling), was the beginning of the end of old time Houston’s robust economy, and its resultant slide into it’s current blue tint.
    One of my best friends is a senior driller on a drill ship. Since Obama he been doing foundations for off shore wind farms on the east coast.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Prepare for infrastructure sales in 3....2...1

Chicago sold all 3600 parking meters for 75 years for $1Billion, Mayor Daley want to get Olympics. They sold the skyway toll road from Chicago to indiana to Australians for $ 2 Billion, faction of what it was worth.

Parks, etc will be up for highest bid.
    Several years after moving to Texas my old beater car that I left behind would get parking tickets from Chicago. My grandfather would get them while in Florida.

Illinois graft & corruption goes back to Capone. I couldn't tell you the amount of Illinois governors that did time the big house.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Several years after moving to Texas my old beater car that I left behind would get parking tickets from Chicago. My grandfather would get them while in Florida.

Illinois graft & corruption goes back to Capone. I couldn't tell you the amount of Illinois governors that did time the big house.
    You lived not far from my old house back there. I bet you went to Joliet East from your comments? I went to Providence for a bit.

In Illinois, it's a big deal when a Governor (Rauner) doesn't go to prison.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You lived not far from my old house back there. I bet you went to Joliet East from your comments? I went to Providence for a bit.

In Illinois, it's a big deal when a Governor (Rauner) doesn't go to prison.
    IIRC East was closed when I went to High School. I went to Central. Class of 1977. I actually got thrown out my senior year. My dad said a GED was not executable, so I went to night school & graduated early.

I actually lived on the west side on Reed Street. My older sister & brother went to West. Redistricting pissed my dad off. I actually like central it was a very cool place.

I lived on the Eastside when I hit 18. My dad said get out & go figure it out. I lived on Baker Street for a good bit. It gave me my Hood Rat credentials.

A buddy of mine lived down towards were Penn's Auto Body Shop was. The Outlaws M/C had their clubhouse down the street towards the paper mill. The east side suited me fine because the cops seldom got called out for anything. We had nightly pony keg parties because most of us were not working. Adella Street was were he lived of of East Washington.

Providence was damn near New Lenox. I worked for TriStar Cabinet while in High School.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Providence was damn near New Lenox. I worked for TriStar Cabinet while in High School.
    I played little league for tri-star. They are still there. I lived down Schoolhouse from them in Manhattan.

That ammo plant you mentioned your dad worked at is National Park now Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It was a classic Democrat Party fiasco. They promised the police and fire folks they'd increase their pay, and then they strung everything out for years because they knew they'd have to raise taxes to pay the increased salaries. Not one of those mayors - until Whitmire - was willing to take the political hit. Meanwhile they helped their buddies suck money out of every public project they could find. Take a look at the "train" they installed. It loses handfuls of money for each passenger it hauls. Each one of the little waiting areas with a plastic cover cost the tax payers millions. Several of those mayors should have gone to prison for what they did, but the Democrat who followed them in office wasn't about to punish their own party. The Mafia is more honest and more effective. I'll give Whitmire credit for having the balls to state the truth and for settling up on raises.

Of course if you really want to generate an ulcer, look at what Kim Ogg has done to the county.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I played little league for tri-star. They are still there. I lived down Schoolhouse from them in Manhattan.

That ammo plant you mentioned your dad worked at is National Park now Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

My dad is in a niche at the National Cemetery. I have great niece who is a Firefighter/ EMT in one of the small towns out past Manhattan.

There is a lesbian couple that live around the corner from me, that are from Minooka, Illinois. It really is a small world.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Are they hot?
    Not in my opinion. They are senior citizens, as are most of the people around.

I will give them this they are first responders for or local VFD. And they answered the 2:00 am call for the house that burned down.

They are really well liked by everyone out here including me. We do have another neighbor who is from Illinois that is pretty much despised by everyone except them. That will be decided in court on April 26.

Top Bottom