• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This pathetic! Springfield Armory is offering the opportunity to test fire a new XD & XD(M) pistol for $10, and receive a free XD(M) 5.25 Competition Series t-shirt for doing so.

The price includes rental of the pistols, time at the range, ear and eye protection, a target and 20 rounds of ammo (ten per pistol).

So I think, "sweet deal, I'm in!" and look at the locations in Texas where this is being offered. Guess what, here I live in the 7th largest city in the country, and second largest in the state, and there isn't a range in SA that is offering this deal! :banghead:

Why do the ranges here suck so badly? I boycott the Bullethole due to all the buffoonery I've witnessed there, and the uncaring staff. I won't risk my life at a range where the staff is only interested in my money (and my spent brass!). Bracken has a reputation for being jerks to their customers, Blackhawk is nice but a little primitive (it's great for USPSA shooting) and a bit out of the way. Texas Thunder is a joke, and while Bass Pro has an indoor range it requires reservations and is expensive in comparison.

If it weren't for Bullis, I don't know where I'd shoot; but even that range has its downsides (only open on the weekends for only four hours per day, and you cannot bring any guests that don't have a DoD ID card).

A city of this size with this many shooters should have much better options!

Cheers! M2

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    I just don't understand why our "world class" shooting range is pretty much closed to us..."world class"? Yep, The National Shooting Complex. National Shooting Complex If I remember correctly they actually have rifle/pistol ranges...I don't think that they have been used since Winchester left, but I think they're still there. I know that the trap/skeet/sporting class fields are used and there is a SASS club that shoots there, but open shooting...not as far as I know...what a pity!!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Personally I love Bexar Community. Doesn't hurt that it's closest to me. And those guys sure don't care about keeping your brass! Hell- they have millions of casings covering the ground saying, "Please take me home!"

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I just don't understand why our "world class" shooting range is pretty much closed to us..."world class"? Yep, The National Shooting Complex. National Shooting Complex If I remember correctly they actually have rifle/pistol ranges...I don't think that they have been used since Winchester left, but I think they're still there. I know that the trap/skeet/sporting class fields are used and there is a SASS club that shoots there, but open shooting...not as far as I know...what a pity!!
    I dont understand that either, I took some classes there, huge range tons of bays, steel plates. Seems it is only open to instructors and for events.

TwoOneOh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    I wanted to shoot the 5.25m as well and found out the same thing you did.

I don't mind bullet hole as long as you shoot in one of the private bays...the regular pistol range is a joke. Nor does BulletHole offer any kind of annual membership fee that would allow a person to shoot there when and where they want routinely. I haven't had the chance to run out to Bracken or Blackhawk but neither of them really sound that appealing either.

I have some friends that work in Bexar County Sherriff's Dept and said that their new range is expected to be completed in Oct.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I'm thinking about doing the Cowboy Action Shooting with the Alamo Area Moderators and they shoot there. I know for clay shooters it's open to the public like one night a week, or something like that. It's only like 5-10 mins from me.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I'm waiting for comments on Cedar Ridge.

London, is that the one off I-10E? I love it when they want you to take brass. I could go with my dump truck. Its parked close by along with the Bobcat, too.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I think so. I've lived near SA for almost my entire life and still don't know the names of most of the streets and highways. It's just not the way my mind works. Anyway, I always get there by taking 1604 then a bunch of back roads.

It's right next to my favorite bar, the Double Ringer.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    I live in Cibolo (think Schertz) assigned to Brooke Army Medical Center, FSH, SATX. Even though Bracken is close to me I'd rather do my handgun target practice at an indoor range. I grew up in Austin which will always be home. Reds 100 yard Indoor Range in Oakhill has been in business many years.

I spent several hours at Reds the other day. Not a fancy place by no means but very adequate. No one was breathing down my neck while I was popping rounds down range in lane #4. Bring your own ammo vs I've heard some SaTX Ranges only allow in house ammo. Reds also provides eyepro/hearing protection at no additional charge. Rather than $14/hr with my active duty mil discount I paid $11/hr... and no time limit. My nephew has gone to Reds many times with always positive results.

In fact, I'll be meeting my brother at Reds in a few
    hours for some more target time.

... just my

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    I echo what TwoOneOh said, Bullethole is not bad if you go to the private bays, and even more so, the ones OUTSIDE of the of the office near the portable buildings, I don't EVEN see the inner areas where all the safety issues occur, lemme put it to you this way, they have an Alvis Saladen on display that I have YET to see, why? Cause I get an outer private bay, and they just recently installed video cameras around the whole facility, so I think they are starting to be more active in watching how their patrons use their facilities.

I'm supposed to go shoot tomorrow (money depending ofcourse) but really in all honesty, if you get in to one of the private bays, you are responsible for you and your party, so if your party shoots like a bunch of lunk heads, don't come shooting with me :)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Juan

While I will agree that the private bays are a better choice if someone is gonna shoot at the Bullethole, their cost is a prohibitive factor for most people. Hell, their "public" range fees are now up to $9.50 per day per person; which is ridiculous; and $15 per person for two hours in the private bays is still no deal in my book.

And, as I've said numerous times before, I still can't bring myself to shoot at the Bullethole based on the numerous negative experiences I've had there in the past. The owners/management of that place turned a deaf ear to our complaints over safety issues, so as far as I am concerned they will never get my business or my money again...

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    Different Strokes for Different Folks Brother, I can understand your reservations about it, I know there are places that I too have had negative experiences with and gave them the perma-ban in my book where others had little to no issues, but on the money side of it, $15 to basically have your own bay and not have to worry about the general public and whether or not they know how to shoot a gun is fine by me :)

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    Hell, if anything, with all the like minded individuals here, and some of you with the money, resources and testicular fortitude, why not open a range that YOU all agree upon. Just sayin :)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Personally I love Bexar Community. Doesn't hurt that it's closest to me. And those guys sure don't care about keeping your brass! Hell- they have millions of casings covering the ground saying, "Please take me home!"

+1. I love that range. I drive past a couple others to shoot there. Sometimes I bring a bucket with me.

I've got clean brass in calibers I don't even shoot! Anybody wanna buy some cleaned up .44 mag brass? :D

I'm waiting for comments on Cedar Ridge.

The old lady that works there is evil. Make sure you check the target frame sticks with the staff before and after you shoot, or they'll accuse you of putting excess holes in their precious 1x2s. They actually told my friend that they were going to ban me for shooting up their sticks. You know how long it's been since I put a shot off the paper!?

Been there a few times, didn't really like it (don't drink any water during a cease fire, either - if the staff notices, you'll get yelled at. You can't have anything in your hands during a cease fire). After the last incident, won't be back.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Think I'm going to have to check out Bexar.

LOL. I was just wondering why CR wasn't mentioned at all so far. I know all about Cedar Ridge. I only live 15 minutes away from there and go often as I can. I have heard of the stick deal, but never witnessed it. Cease fire deal is the same as the range I used to hit when I was a kid, so that isn't a big deal to me. They seem to not have a prob with me...so far. I just wish they weren't so anal about the brass deal. At least you can pick up your own. If not, I would not go there. My brass leaves with me, no exceptions.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Hell, if anything, with all the like minded individuals here, and some of you with the money, resources and testicular fortitude, why not open a range that YOU all agree upon. Just sayin :)

Been wondering this myself. Would be cool to start one from the ground up. I may not have money, but I am a concrete, site work and welding contractor. Let's get one going somewhere.

I'm partial to the North Side close to me.......

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    I'm telling you guys Reds 100 yd Indoor Range in Oakhill is a great place. In fact, they gave me a fair trade-in on my S&W Bodyguard 380 (fired @ range only twice) for a brand new Glock 26 4th Gen.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    i shot at reds once, first time paying to shoot somewhere and first time at an indoor range. The stool on my lane wwas alittle wobbly but other than that it was a nice range, loved bringing the target to me instead of the 100 yard walk.

Top Bottom