• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Humble man charged with capital murder in shooting deaths - Your Houston News: News

Investigators at the scene found spent bullets from an AK-47 rifle, an illegal assault weapon, at the scene. The black Impala had been struck at least 10 times. The force of the rifle’s bullets had penetrated the vehicle and struck the occupants, investigators say.

really? whats up with the fud? pretty sure an ak47 is not illegal, nor an assault weapon. unless harris county has some other definition, which is plausible.
    Target Sports

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Piss poor journalism with an anti-gun bias foisted on ignorant reporters by Left-Wing professors of Journalism.

It was not the "investigators" but the journalist who labeled the AK-47 illegal.

It is high time we take note of these bogus "reports" and call the editors on their failure to correct misleading and false reporting.

Be well.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Ever seen a news story first hand, then see them report on it later?

I have. Several times. It makes me surprised they get anything right. I bet the LEOs on this board can testify to this better than I can.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Perhaps it was illegally modified to full auto and the reporter just made the mistake of assuming all ak-47s were illegal. Oooo, who am I kidding. Probably another biased liberal piece of propoganda.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Well, I bothered to take the time to address this and received a reply about 2 hours later:
    "Thank you for pointing out the error in the story. I will correct it right away. I assure you it was not intentional, but you are right in saying I should have researched this better. My apologies and thank you for reading the Observer.

Best regards,

Stefanie Thomas

My email to her and her editor

> I was looking through the news article regarding the shooting on July 24th. I do have a question regarding the Humble area based upon the statement made regarding the weapon or weapon(s) used. "Investigators at the scene found spent bullets from an AK-47 rifle, an illegal assault weapon, at the scene." . The question is does Humble have a different set of gun laws than the rest of the state? or country?.
    > AK 47 rifles are not illegal to own in either semi or fully automatic form (yes there are rules regarding who can own the full auto version). Using very basic investigative tools, (GOOGLE SEARCH) you can find them for sale. I would expect a true news report to have facts, not conjecture or at worst, made up hype. Checking with the local gun shops or the police would have also cleared up the question as well. The AK 47 fires a 7.62 x 39 round that is also used by a number of other rifles, did the shell casings have for use in ak47 only stamped on them?. Or is this made up also?
    > News Reporters like scientists should report what they find and verify as fact. Not made up fluff. At best, it demeans your craft, at worst, it indicates you are not a reporter, you are a public relations official for whatever group you are being paid by and passing yourselves off as a real journalist.
    > It is time reporters reported. Leave it up to the government or industry to lie and make up stories
    > Respectfully,

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    And the correction will be a fine print blurb nondescript buried on the back pages with a slight mention of the original article
    Possibly, however it is a start. Also, if the "paper" were to get a hundred or so other emails regarding the same thing then possibly we would start making inroads in getting proper reporting. If every time an error such as this hits the press the reporter and editor get a few hundred emails.. well they either pay attention or not. As it stands no emails equals no need for any action on their part.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Remember, AK 47s are full auto and unlawful to posses. My guess it the gun in question was not an AK47, but a semi auto clone. Much like the Ar15 is a semi auto version of the M16.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Remember, AK 47s are full auto and unlawful to posses. My guess it the gun in question was not an AK47, but a semi auto clone. Much like the Ar15 is a semi auto version of the M16.

AK47s aren't unlawful to possess, you just have to pay taxes on them and have them registered with the ATF. You also can't drive a car down the street unless you pay a tax and have it registered, and they're not "illegal." Yeah, yeah Texas blah/blah Defense to Prosecution blah/blah.

Come on TXI, you know this.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Ruger chambered their model 77 in 7.62x39 - an excellent little brush rifle. They also chambered/chamber their mini-30 in 7.62x39. Wonder how the "investigators" were able to ascertain that the rounds were fired from an ak-47??

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    AK47s aren't unlawful to possess, you just have to pay taxes on them and have them registered with the ATF. You also can't drive a car down the street unless you pay a tax and have it registered, and they're not "illegal." Yeah, yeah Texas blah/blah Defense to Prosecution blah/blah.

Come on TXI, you know this.
    True, there are tranferable Ak-47s. But referring to AK-47s generally as "illegal" is not incorrect, in my opinion.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom