• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've had some great fishing experience in my life.

There was a time when I was catching 200+ Steelhead a year, the average joe was catching 2-3. Those days are gone now, but I had a great 15 year run.

I've caught sturgeon up to 13' feet long. I got my 40+ Chinook salmon in 2011. I've caught 4 of the 5 Pacific salmon in one day.

I've had a day where we were culling 5 lb Smallmouth.

Now that I'm here in Texas I've discovered white, hybrid and striped bass. I've got a boat. Sadly due to health issues it's been idle for over a year.

Just got a call today to reschedule an appointment that was supposed to be next week to the week after that. That means another week of living in diapers. That's kind of got me down. Been living in diapers for over a year and a half. I had three major surgeries last year. Two of them were 11 days apart in the same area. Last one was the day after Christmas.

Prostate cancer is the gift that just keeps on giving.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Yeah, they're quick to point out that it's probably the most survivable cancer. They don't talk near as much about the side effects. Good luck brother.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've had some great fishing experience in my life.

There was a time when I was catching 200+ Steelhead a year, the average joe was catching 2-3. Those days are gone now, but I had a great 15 year run.

I've caught sturgeon up to 13' feet long. I got my 40+ Chinook salmon in 2011. I've caught 4 of the 5 Pacific salmon in one day.

I've had a day where we were culling 5 lb Smallmouth.

Now that I'm here in Texas I've discovered white, hybrid and striped bass. I've got a boat. Sadly due to health issues it's been idle for over a year.

Just got a call today to reschedule an appointment that was supposed to be next week to the week after that. That means another week of living in diapers. That's kind of got me down. Been living in diapers for over a year and a half. I had three major surgeries last year. Two of them were 11 days apart in the same area. Last one was the day after Christmas.

Prostate cancer is the gift that just keeps on giving.
    Yeah, that's the way Washington state was for fishing, but when the fish started to decline, so did my interest.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If I could.....
    Ahh. I got no complaints.
    For a couple of kids that eloped in 1981 and been going with the flow, winging it, we've done pretty well.
    Only long term plan we ever made was to stick together.
    So far, so good.

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    As I am still in my 30s, I'm refusing to continue this path I'm still on. To be honest, I hate nursing. People say the medical field is rewarding. You know what, if your a man, it probably is. Women, though, no. They suck to work with. You never know what day they decide to hate you and when they decide to like you. It gets old. When the staff is mixed male and female, Yea it can be fun. All female? Hell no. I'm female, but I've learned how truly evil a lot of women are and it's ridiculous! I refuse to run with that pack. I always hear people say, "Thank a nurse." "A nurse works so hard." "The nurse is such a hard job." Pffffffffft! No! Most are lazy. They don't want to carry their own weight. Almost their whole job gets thrown on a CNA. They expect a CNA to pretty much hold their lisence down. These CNAs never get recognition. You want to talk
    about a hard job?! Try being a CNA. This is not happiness for me.
    I've enrolled into Texas A&M. I'm going to get that extra degree Texas requires for me to do what I did in Colorado. I'm going to live my dream of one day being a Coroner. I cleaned up homicides, suicides, decomposing corpses, etc. Then, I read crime scenes. Blood splatter, hairs, bones, etc. I loved what I did. That was what I was meant for. I hear the elderly always tell me stop chasing dreams and just go after them. Well, I'm going to take that advice. I read everyone's post here and it only turned my desires to concrete. I was never meant for the medical field. It was actually someone else's dream. Not mine. The university told me with all my credits from the degree I currently hold (and can't use here in Texas by itself ) it will only take me a year. So, I'm going for it!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

My wife’s an retired RN working part time and I’m a 70 y.o. retired Reg. Respiratory Therapist. I was a Dept. Director for my last 24 years.

Medicine is interesting and so are the people, but it got more and more like the Business World over the years. 20 Years ago, another Dept Manager/Pharmacist told me, “ Chuck, it’s just not fun anymore.”

I worked beside a slew of Nurses over my 39 years and, as you stated, there are some lazy ones; but there are the Real Nurses who love their work and their patients. However, there is some obvious jealousy, meanness or resentment that makes the lazy ones close ranks and ostracize the good ones. Sometimes they drive them off.

If you get a job as Coroner, your knowledge of terminology, anatomy and physiology will be an advantage. You know, there’s a CSI Program at OSU in OK that is one of the best there is. Just saying.

Anyway, good luck. From what you said I can tell you are one of the Real Nurses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I tried to talk my wife into letting me get a welder. I got shut down pretty quick. I just wanted to make some angle iron ingot molds. But she figured that at a net cost of somewhere around $500 per mold......

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If I could, well, not sure I would. Who knows how different it would be.

5 kids, 2 grandbabies so far, still on my first marriage, everybody healthy and happy. Wouldn't want to mess that up.

Finally back doing the job I was meant to do.

Could it be better? Of course. It could be much worse too.

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    As I am still in my 30s, I'm refusing to continue this path I'm still on. To be honest, I hate nursing. People say the medical field is rewarding. You know what, if your a man, it probably is. Women, though, no. They suck to work with. You never know what day they decide to hate you and when they decide to like you. It gets old. When the staff is mixed male and female, Yea it can be fun. All female? Hell no.

Up until this point I thought you were a guy. A very angry guy. Then I read that you’re a female, and thought if anyone has perspective on this - she does.
    Two interesting things as I read this. First, just last night I had a similar conversation with a good friend of mine who lives in a Colorado. He and I are very much alike in that we are good at whatever we do. Doesn’t really matter. From hanging Sheetrock to writing HTML code to welding, to building excellent AR’s , I’m good at those things. And a lot more. It’s not bragging because it’s not really that great of a quality. I want to find that one thing and be excellent at it. I want to love what I do to the point that $$ is secondary. (but it does have to provide.). I have a good job, it puts a good roof over my family’s head. It puts good food on the table. It affords my son to go to a good school which is important to me. But it’s not my life’s dream. Not even in the top 5. But it is a means to provide the necessities.
    My friend in CO says that he does not want to make a living at the things he loves doing. He said that when he’s tried that - he’s gotten burned out. He used to love working on cars - did it as a living for 7 years and now hates to work on them. And he is a really good ASE mechanic.
    If I could see my dream realized, I would build custom guns, AR’s in that sweet spot between the KAC and budget. The sweet spot that I excel in. I’d make custom gear. I never buy a price of gear without finding someway to improve it.
    But those things - no matter how good I am are not going to put food on the table, nor allow my son to attend a school that reinforces what his number 1 teacher (me) teaches him and believes that educating the heart is as important as educating the mind.

My calling? I once thought it was Africa, which if you knew the racist redneck I once was - would find that thought nothing short of miraculous. As far as the things that I have an overflowing of passion for? I may have to learn to be happy to express that in a hobby and not a full time job.

I’ll keep my eyes open. Maybe that opportunity will present itself. Maybe I will build the perfect AR for the perfect person, and that will be the spark that lights the rocket. The proverbial foot in the door. But until then?

“Time to make the donuts...”

(Metaphorically speaking...)

I do wish you all the luck- sounds like you are going to attack your dream with vigor and determination. I do wish you the best, and hope all the right doors open, and all the wrong doors say closed.

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Up until this point I thought you were a guy. A very angry guy. Then I read that you’re a female, and thought if anyone has perspective on this - she does.
    Two interesting things as I read this. First, just last night I had a similar conversation with a good friend of mine who lives in a Colorado. He and I are very much alike in that we are good at whatever we do. Doesn’t really matter. From hanging Sheetrock to writing HTML code to welding, to building excellent AR’s , I’m good at those things. And a lot more. It’s not bragging because it’s not really that great of a quality. I want to find that one thing and be excellent at it. I want to love what I do to the point that $$ is secondary. (but it does have to provide.). I have a good job, it puts a good roof over my family’s head. It puts good food on the table. It affords my son to go to a good school which is important to me. But it’s not my life’s dream. Not even in the top 5. But it is a means to provide the necessities.
    My friend in CO says that he does not want to make a living at the things he loves doing. He said that when he’s tried that - he’s gotten burned out. He used to love working on cars - did it as a living for 7 years and now hates to work on them. And he is a really good ASE mechanic.
    If I could see my dream realized, I would build custom guns, AR’s in that sweet spot between the KAC and budget. The sweet spot that I excel in. I’d make custom gear. I never buy a price of gear without finding someway to improve it.
    But those things - no matter how good I am are not going to put food on the table, nor allow my son to attend a school that reinforces what his number 1 teacher (me) teaches him and believes that educating the heart is as important as educating the mind.

My calling? I once thought it was Africa, which if you knew the racist redneck I once was - would find that thought nothing short of miraculous. As far as the things that I have an overflowing of passion for? I may have to learn to be happy to express that in a hobby and not a full time job.

I’ll keep my eyes open. Maybe that opportunity will present itself. Maybe I will build the perfect AR for the perfect person, and that will be the spark that lights the rocket. The proverbial foot in the door. But until then?

“Time to make the donuts...”

(Metaphorically speaking...)

I do wish you all the luck- sounds like you are going to attack your dream with vigor and determination. I do wish you the best, and hope all the right doors open, and all the wrong doors say closed.

Thank you for sharing.
    I wish you the very best as well.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    From my perspective don't convert a hobby to a job. I did and I don't have a hobby now, I have a job. All the fun is gone. It's OK to follow your dream, that's not a hobby, it's a dream. Enjoy what you do. All that being said if your dream won't put food on the table and pay the bills????

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I had for 30 or more, but I sold all my bikes after my last wreck.
    I just can't ride slow.
    My last ride was, I hope, not my last ride. It was over six years ago, put me in the hospital for 141 days, resulted in 25 surgeries, and (eventually) an above the knee amputation.

I might just have to trike out that GL1800 of mine . . .

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My last ride was, I hope, not my last ride. It was over six years ago, put me in the hospital for 141 days, resulted in 25 surgeries, and (eventually) an above the knee amputation.

I might just have to trike out that GL1800 of mine . . .
    Damn sorry to hear about that. I never knew the extent of your injury.
    I still think about riding, but just can't control my right wrist, so I stay off of them.

No out of context quotes either....

Top Bottom