Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When the Ukraine thread became too contentious and unwieldy, it was split in two. One new thread was dedicated to the politics, motivations, history, etc. behind the war. The other thread was devoted to hard news, i.e. where are the fighters and what are they doing? While some politics seeps into the news thread and vice-versa, the split has generally worked well.

The "Israel Attacked" thread has become just as contentious and unwieldy. I'm trying the same solution.

In this thread, feel free to talk about the politics of the situation and the history that led up to it.

I realize that in the Middle East, politics and religion are often the same thing. There is a rule against discussing religion on this forum and people should adhere to it. However, some small allowance will be made for acknowledgement of religious realities giving rise to political situations. This is not the place to assert you know what it says in the Talmud or the Quran and to point to that to make a point. Instead, a general acknowledgement that there are groups of people who hate each other and have occasionally done really despicable things to each other is enough. For the purposes of this thread, everyone will acknowledge that. Individual situations may be rooted in religion or may not but this is not the venue to tease out all the subtleties of the situation. None of us are scholars qualified to do that. Personally, I doubt such scholars exist; the situation is too complex for anyone to fully understand all the nuances.

And if those people do exist, they're too smart to waste time on TGT.

So let's talk real politics here and maybe even the attempts of folks like the MSM to cover up political reality. Say how you think things are and be respectful of the folks who will disagree with you.
    DK Firearms

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I hardly feel qualified to comment because I’ve not kept up on the developments like many of you have.

But if it has not been being said, I’m sure we’re all thinking it, that this is developing ironically - that Hamas(i.e. Gaza) started this mess and Israel is going to come out of it as a minimum as owning the Gaza territory. And I be applauding.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I hardly feel qualified to comment because I’ve not kept up on the developments like many of you have.

But if it has not been being said, I’m sure we’re all thinking it, that this is developing ironically - that Hamas(i.e. Gaza) started this mess and Israel is going to come out of it as a minimum as owning the Gaza territory. And I be applauding.

Frankly, "who to support" becomes an easy choice when one side's slogans all involve murdering the other side, us, anyone who doesn't look like them, and anyone who doesn't obey their specific version of their religion. And then there's the whole "raping, murdering, taking hostages, beheading said hostages, and then playing the victim card" factor.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I like it.

House Republicans rolled out the 13-page bill Monday, which would completely offset the foreign aid by rescinding the $14.3 billion in funds from the Inflation Reduction Act passed last year. Specifically, the bill targets some of the $80 billion the package allocated toward the Internal Revenue Service for audits on wealthy individuals.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wh...setting-unprecedented-bar-new-bill-aid-israel

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I like it.

House Republicans rolled out the 13-page bill Monday, which would completely offset the foreign aid by rescinding the $14.3 billion in funds from the Inflation Reduction Act passed last year. Specifically, the bill targets some of the $80 billion the package allocated toward the Internal Revenue Service for audits on wealthy individuals.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wh...setting-unprecedented-bar-new-bill-aid-israel

Now if they can just stick to their guns and...

laugh red forman.gif

...except it's really not funny. If it passes without being completely defanged, I'll be amazed and delighted.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I'm backing out of the Israel discussions, but want to say two things. First I appreciate all of your comments, ideas, links etc to this ongoing situation. I've learned, and am still learning a lot; and your contributions are much appreciated.

Second, and it's been on my mind since this all started, is the quantity of Palestinians massed at the southern border of Gaza. Soon, many will starve to death; their numbers alone make it impossible for any humanitarian effort to avoid this. Anyone who understands numbers/logistics might confirm my guess that even 100 semi's a day with food cant feed a hundred thousand + people.

Yet more so - along with the human tragedy - comes the real consequence of what this will do to international support for Israel, which now seems on a knife's edge, at best.

Prayers all around.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm going to stay out of commentary on ME politics for the most part. Mainly, I'll just ask questions. I'm insufficiently educated on the subject to do otherwise.

However, where domestic politics is involved, I will have opinions. But is this domestic politics?

the bill targets some of the $80 billion the package allocated toward the Internal Revenue Service for audits on wealthy individuals.

Personally, it just looks to me like poor business sense. Any entity owed money that makes no effort/laughable efforts at collecting it isn't being run by particularly savvy folks, is it?

Less than a page in and I'm already derailing. Such a bad mod... :)

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    You would think Iran would reel in the Houthis to keep the Suadi's teamed up against Israel. Saudi Arabia is gearing up against them now though. Hopefully it doesn't get too much more spicy, but with the Potato Of The United States in control, it's bound to get worse.
    Potato is in control? Have to think about that one for a bit. He can't even control his own bowels.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Do they want it? Didn't they own it once just because Egypt didn't want it?
    I’ve seen statements from Israeli officials both saying that they have no desire to occupy that land and that they will reclaim it. Some argue they will push them below the Wadi Gaza and make a DMZ buffer.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Less than a page in and I'm already derailing. Such a bad mod... :)
    We have entered totally insane crazy world Ben. I am not sure how we keep rails as each new reveal pulls up centuries of sanity.

I will sing myself to sleep tonight with "Its the end of the world as we know it." In the morning, that means our universe lasted another day in spite of us.

Top Bottom