• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm getting the bug for a bike again. I sold a V-Strom 6 years ago and have been bike-less ever since.

I'm old now and looking for a cruiser.

My bucket list:

1 litre displacement
    FI would be nice
    nice seat
    fairing or a nice windshield
    storage
    2-up capable
    service history documentation
    under $4K
    no salvage titles

So that list puts me in V-Star, Shadow, Vulcan territory.

Which model/years to stay away from?
    ARJ Defense ad

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    LOL ...

Only Harley I've ever owned was either a 78 or 79 AMF version. Can't recall 'cause I got rid of it in short order.
    Was not impressed. I hear they are now much improved in ride and comfort, however.

A cursory look tells me they are priced out of my range.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've seen a Honda Shadow ridden by a genuine hippy. Chain on the wallet, long hair. Greasy round eye glasses in rose. Flannel shirts buttoned low. Faded jeans. Stock bike besides saddle bags.

I'd own a Shadow. This bike was his primary driver in town. It's a tight well made motorcycle that's ok priced. It held up really well too. The guy had some basic knowledge like it needs oil and gas. But the stuff like clutches and gear boxes was not his forte. It was impressive how solid the bike was.

If I had the funds for a motorcycle. I'd look at Yamaha first. Then Suzuki. Then Honda.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've been really happy with my V-Star 950. Works for 2-up with LG but not quite as smooth as when we took my dads 1300. The 950 has a better feel though IMO when it comes to handling.

Not a fan of the driveshaft on Hondas.

And I have no idea what a 1L displacement converts to. Speak engrish dammit!

Also, if you are particularly tall the 950 might not be for you.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For those who don't speak Liter, it's 1000cc.

I think the 950 could hang with a 1000cc cruiser. Has a pretty high rev limit and the power band hangs on pretty well.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Those are terribly sllloooowww bikes for today's traffic and zero fun. As luck would have it I am selling my Valkyrie which is a one owner and has been babied it entire life. Unfortunately I am not at the $4k price range though.

If you are looking for a bike that is ultra reliable, has gobbs of power and has the cruiser look and feel send me a PM.

valkyrie.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In 50 plus years of riding, I've owned around 30 motorcycles. The three most recent were the:

Honda Goldwing 1500cc 6 cylinder
    Kawasaki Concours 1000cc 4 cylinder
    Harley Davidson XL1200C Sportster V twin.

The Harley Sportster is my all time favorite! It's not the best road bike, quietest, smoothest, fastest or most economical but it's my favorite of all! I considered buying my neighbor's huge Harley but I stuck with the Sportster, instead. The 1200 cc twin hauls my ass with plenty of power.

The Sportster was redesigned for the 1200cc engine. It is the "EVO" engine with rubber isolation from the frame. The old Sportsters shook badly. The new style is much smoother. They have belt drive, now.

Flash

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Those are terribly sllloooowww bikes for today's traffic and zero fun. As luck would have it I am selling my Valkyrie which is a one owner and has been babied it entire life. Unfortunately I am not at the $4k price range though.

If you are looking for a bike that is ultra reliable, has gobbs of power and has the cruiser look and feel send me a PM.

valkyrie.jpg

I really like those. Tell us more.....

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    In your price range I'd go the Shadow 1100. Bulletproof bikes, although you want to get a later one when we had 70mph speed limits.

These days I too am partial to Sportsters...the post-2004 rubber mounts, that are basically Buell motors in disguise.

Attachments

• torismilesm.jpg
      torismilesm.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 142

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I'd go with a vstar 1100. I believe Yamaha has used the same 1100 engine for well over 10 years, which says a lot. They're very reliable and low maintenance. I had a 650 vstar, and have friends with high mileage 1100's. Aftermarket support is everywhere for them. IMO, the Vstars are a best buy for used cruisers.

The only negative thing I can say about the 1100's is changing the oil is a pain unless you install an oil relocation kit (ork), but a lot of them will already be installed by the previous owner. The other is the seat, they're uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I really like those. Tell us more.....

Seriously? erkay. They've been around for quite a while starting in 96. I started looking for a bike in 95 and then I saw this commercial on TV and was sold.

I picked up a brand new 1999 Black Valkyrie that at the time was rated 100hp out of the box. Realistically is was 95hp/95tq with a 7500 rpm rev limiter. Some said that there is power part that but I never disabled the rev limiter so I have no idea. The Standard Valk (pro rider) would turn a 12.5 in the 1/4 mile and tear up the twisies something fierce. The Valk is based off of the 1520 GoldWing with flat tappets, 6 carbs, bigger cams and much lighter weight. They built it to capture some of the cruiser market and did okay. Problem is that some were returning the bikes since they had TOO MUCH power LOL. The only place that the bike suffers is in very low slow speeds (under 5mph) parking lot speeds its a bit much to wrestle around. An experienced ride has no problem with it.

The reliablility in these bike is even better than the GW since it didn't have as many electrical dodads and things to go wrong with it. Just fill it up and ride. In 99 they released the Interstate which had a much larger tank (6.9) gallons) which made the bike easy for long ass hauls and most people wanted to stop just to get off rather than fill the tank. Gas mileage is good on them unless you twist the grip too much. Gas mileage started to suck after 75mph or twisting on it too hard which made all 6 carbs suck gas. Nice cushy ride from the start but most swicthed to a better set of shocks with Progressive. They are many tires available but the stickiest are the M880 Metzlers which really grip the road on the bike. Dual disc brake stop her fast and last a long time.

The 1520cc flat 6 motor is da BOMB! Smooth gorgeous power all the way up and has ultra Honda reliability. Some Valks are reported past 500,000 miles. YES that is a half a million miles on counting. As long as you do the maintenance they'll serve you well. Compression ratio is 9-1 so you can run 87 Octane gas in all temps and that's what the manual calls for. % speed manual transmission and I think the top speed is 135mph(?). Water cooled motor so running in Texas temps are no problem at all. They share many parts with the GW so parts can be easy to find. There are plenty of accessories to add to this bike to dress it up any way you like.

I might be selling it soon and I have many extras as well. I also have a bike trailer rated to 1500 lbs that is the tear down style that I am selling too. I am getting out of riding for a while and focusing on other interests like shooting and restoring my old convertible. Selling it to raise money to paint my car. Before I put it on CL and/or Evilbay I will post it here at TGT.

ETA: Back in the day and they might still be available, they were guys putting blowers on their Valks and some installed nitrous. TwoBrothers even had a video of one they installed TWO blowers on a Valk and ran it for a 1/4 mile. TONS and TONS of information on the webs about this bike and the VRCC is a great bunch of guys if you were to join.

ETA2: Dual Blowers from T B

https://youtu.be/1eM-2gp7bFY

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Seriously? erkay. They've been around for quite a while starting in 96. I started looking for a bike in 95 and then I saw this commercial on TV and was sold.

I picked up a brand new 1999 Black Valkyrie that at the time was rated 100hp out of the box. Realistically is was 95hp/95tq with a 7500 rpm rev limiter. Some said that there is power part that but I never disabled the rev limiter so I have no idea. The Standard Valk (pro rider) would turn a 12.5 in the 1/4 mile and tear up the twisies something fierce. The Valk is based off of the 1520 GoldWing with flat tappets, 6 carbs, bigger cams and much lighter weight. They built it to capture some of the cruiser market and did okay. Problem is that some were returning the bikes since they had TOO MUCH power LOL. The only place that the bike suffers is in very low slow speeds (under 5mph) parking lot speeds its a bit much to wrestle around. An experienced ride has no problem with it.

The reliablility in these bike is even better than the GW since it didn't have as many electrical dodads and things to go wrong with it. Just fill it up and ride. In 99 they released the Interstate which had a much larger tank (6.9) gallons) which made the bike easy for long ass hauls and most people wanted to stop just to get off rather than fill the tank. Gas mileage is good on them unless you twist the grip too much. Gas mileage started to suck after 75mph or twisting on it too hard which made all 6 carbs suck gas. Nice cushy ride from the start but most swicthed to a better set of shocks with Progressive. They are many tires available but the stickiest are the M880 Metzlers which really grip the road on the bike. Dual disc brake stop her fast and last a long time.

The 1520cc flat 6 motor is da BOMB! Smooth gorgeous power all the way up and has ultra Honda reliability. Some Valks are reported past 500,000 miles. YES that is a half a million miles on counting. As long as you do the maintenance they'll serve you well. Compression ratio is 9-1 so you can run 87 Octane gas in all temps and that's what the manual calls for. % speed manual transmission and I think the top speed is 135mph(?). Water cooled motor so running in Texas temps are no problem at all. They share many parts with the GW so parts can be easy to find. There are plenty of accessories to add to this bike to dress it up any way you like.

I might be selling it soon and I have many extras as well. I also have a bike trailer rated to 1500 lbs that is the tear down style that I am selling too. I am getting out of riding for a while and focusing on other interests like shooting and restoring my old convertible. Selling it to raise money to paint my car. Before I put it on CL and/or Evilbay I will post it here at TGT.

ETA: Back in the day and they might still be available, they were guys putting blowers on their Valks and some installed nitrous. TwoBrothers even had a video of one they installed TWO blowers on a Valk and ran it for a 1/4 mile. TONS and TONS of information on the webs about this bike and the VRCC is a great bunch of guys if you were to join.

ETA2: Dual Blowers from T B

https://youtu.be/1eM-2gp7bFY

Thanks. there is one local for sale, but I am not in a hurry. Is your naked?

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Non interstate valk's are naked, i.e. no fairings. V-star 1100's and 650's are air cooled. Please inspect and look at carefully the rear end on the those V-stars if the drive shaft has slop you cannot replace the coupler by its self . Shadows, given a little care are "bullet proof". Though I think a 1000 Vstrom would be better :-)

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Though I think a 1000 Vstrom would be better :-)

I thought so too.

Riding position was strange ... even after risers and off-sets on the bars.
    Weren't prone nor sitting ...

The motor was unbelievably pipey. But with that braun came a lot of noise and buzz transmitted to my ass and hands.

The fairing/windshield was useless.

It was top heavy on the street and just plain heavy on dirt roads.

Top Bottom