• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There are some interesting differences in the Gold Wing and the Valkyrie. (This applies to the 1520cc engine only). The Gold Wing has two electronically controlled carbs. The Valkyrie has SIX carbs! Cams on the horizontally opposed six cylinder are a bit hotter in the Valkyrie.

The performance of the Gold Wing is impressive. The Valkyrie will be similar or better......

My Gold Wing weighed just under 800 pounds. Both are big, heavy bikes. My GW went on two massive trips around the western US (6,000 and 8,000 miles). The amazing thing about the Wing is that with 2 up and full gear for a month long trip, the bike climbed El Centro Pass 6% grade going into San Diego in FIFTH gear! The bike never needed a downshift.

On the downhill side of El Centro pass, we did that in 5th gear and used engine braking all the way down that monster! If we wanted to slow down, I rolled the throttle back and never touched the brakes. The bike performed similarly on many other mountain passes.

Brakes are all hydraulic. The rear brake pedal works the rear brakes and one of the front disks. The other front disk is operated by the front brake hand lever. The GW's have very effective braking power.

We went 700 miles across Montana (west to east) at 95 mph, got 24 MPG heading to Sturgis SD. The Gold Wing never faltered. We passed herds of Harleys heading to Sturgis and occasionally, some would drop in behind us at 95 mph. They never stayed long and dropped out of our little train after a few miles.

Normal fuel consumption with 2 up and full gear was in the mid 30's.

The down side? Tire wear is ugly! Figure on 12,000 miles and you'll be visiting the tire store for another $200 +- tire. Dealer service is a major ripoff! Their service charges are shameful!

Flash

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Maybe I am misusing the term. Windshield, bags?

They are beating you up for no reason. My bike started life as a Standard which means it was in your terms "naked". No shield, bags, factory chrome (quite a bit actually), etc. I added a shield, bags, chrome, tuned headers, chrome 4" x 36" dual pipes, and other bits to improve the bike as well as a much needed seat upgrade. The Valkyrie is a cruiser style bike that everyone adds things to it to their style. IIRC the term "naked" is used more in the crotch rocket bikes that have no fairings or plastic parts added. In 1999 Honda added the Insterstate (IS) style Valkyrie that had a ton of added parts and some very nice bags, electronics, shield, tons of goodies. I didn't like that "style" but rather wanted the leather bags and other leather goods instead. Same bike essentially.

Roger, I didn't know that GW's had a finky braking systme like that. Seems weird. Valkyries didn't have such an elaborate system. Just a simple rear pedal for the rear single brake and a right grip lever for dual front brakes. The braking system on a Vlakyrie is one top notch deal that when you need to drop anchor it will stop that bike. The major key to it was not to use EBC cheapie pads and stay with the Honda factory pads. Tire wear ws not that bad considering the class of the bike. I will get 10k out of a rear Metzler M880 and 15k out of a front M880. I usually keep a spare rear at home to take to a friends house to swap out where he had a tire changer. Going to a stealer was a major rip off. Some guys bought a spare rear wheel and mounted the tire on it for a quick change.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I thought so too.

Riding position was strange ... even after risers and off-sets on the bars.
    Weren't prone nor sitting ...

The motor was unbelievably pipey. But with that braun came a lot of noise and buzz transmitted to my ass and hands.

The fairing/windshield was useless.

It was top heavy on the street and just plain heavy on dirt roads.

A buddy lent me his VStrom one afternoon when we went riding from Atlanta through the mountains in Alabama. Weird bike with the traits you talked about. I hated the shifter and it did have a strange riding position. I think it was an attempt at a souped up Enduro style bike. He didn't keep it for very long.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    No recommendations for the BMW bikes? I've never been on one; just curious about opinions. Seems like they are nice touring bikes.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    No recommendations for the BMW bikes? I've never been on one; just curious about opinions. Seems like they are nice touring bikes.
    They are nice, reliable & pricey. Exactly the same features and dependability you get with the asian market with only a 20% larger price tag.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)

The "R" series is my go-to fav. Always buy used, always have service done by an independent person (cheaper) or myself. I've owned three since the early 2000's. But the OP is asking for something entirely different.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    I was wondering what it meant. To me, I was thinking the bike is bobbed or had all the flaring removed. I enjoy motorcycles but some of the lingo escapes me.

I while back many years ago, crusing old sale ads for bikes. Saw late 70's gold wing that had been stripped down to just the frame, motor, controls I thought it was dam sexy without all that stuff on it.

check this easy to find example of what I'm talking about.

76 GL 1000 Custom Naked Goldwing | eBay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I while back many years ago, crusing old sale ads for bikes. Saw late 70's gold wing that had been stripped down to just the frame, motor, controls I thought it was dam sexy without all that stuff on it.

check this easy to find example of what I'm talking about.

76 GL 1000 Custom Naked Goldwing | eBay

The GF watches a house for a friend. The friends husband is an overseas contractor.

He has three similar bikes. I believe they're CB750's? Two of them are cherry. Ones for parts. Next time we check the house, Ill pay attention to the badging on the bikes. Seem awful big for 750. Unless they made them 4cylinders with 4 carbs.

Last edited:

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    The GF watches a house for a friend. The friends husband is an overseas contractor.

He has three similar bikes. I believe they're CB750's? Two of them are cherry. Ones for parts. Next time we check the house, Ill pay attention to the badging on the bikes. Seem awful big for 750. Unless they made them 4cylinders with 4 carbs.

been a while since I was on a CB750 but I thought they were inline 4's with 4 carbs. loved jap air cooled inline 4's. moved on to kraut boxers.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak

My cb650 had 4 cylinders and 4 carbs.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    been a while since I was on a CB750 but I thought they were inline 4's with 4 carbs. loved jap air cooled inline 4's. moved on to kraut boxers.
    Yep — at least since '78
    my%2Bfirst%2Btime.jpg

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    I own a DL1000, closest to a UJM these days.
    All the CB750's were air cooled inline fours with four carbs, the first year sand cast models fetch a big buck

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Get ready Mitch...lol Im a buy American kinda guy.

87% of the parts in a Honda Valkyrie were made in the USA and the bike itself was/is assembled in Marysville Ohio by American workers.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, when was it that a certain "American" motorcycle could no longer say "Made in the USA" but Honda could, and posted it prominently?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom