• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Had a prostate biopsy this morning. 10 minute minor procedure they said. Procedure went smooth although the doc took a couple of extra punches based on the ultrasound.

When finished, nurse said I had only minor bleeding and it looked like I might have only minimal issues with blood in urine, feces, etc.

20 minutes later I am the way home and blood starts flowing out of my rectum, through my pants, down my legs and all over the leather seats of my car. I told the wife to pull into a coffee shop and I went into the bathroom and filled my pants with wadded up paper towels. Told her to turn around and drive me back to UT Health Urology. Wife ran in and told them what was happening and all they said was “ take him to the ER”. Meanwhile I am laying face down on the back seat on a plastic sheet I keep there for hauling plants in the back of the SUV.

Bottom line is that 3 hours later the blood stopped pouring out just before the BP showed a need for blood units. Left the ER in two hospital gowns and a diaper because my clothes went in the trash. Took me another 4 hours before the bleeding stopped enough that I could sit and watch tv.

There is no such thing as a minor procedure
    Wow so sorry for you. That is scary shit.
    Gun Zone Deals

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Had a prostate biopsy this morning. 10 minute minor procedure they said. Procedure went smooth although the doc took a couple of extra punches based on the ultrasound.

When finished, nurse said I had only minor bleeding and it looked like I might have only minimal issues with blood in urine, feces, etc.

20 minutes later I am the way home and blood starts flowing out of my rectum, through my pants, down my legs and all over the leather seats of my car. I told the wife to pull into a coffee shop and I went into the bathroom and filled my pants with wadded up paper towels. Told her to turn around and drive me back to UT Health Urology. Wife ran in and told them what was happening and all they said was “ take him to the ER”. Meanwhile I am laying face down on the back seat on a plastic sheet I keep there for hauling plants in the back of the SUV.

Bottom line is that 3 hours later the blood stopped pouring out just before the BP showed a need for blood units. Left the ER in two hospital gowns and a diaper because my clothes went in the trash. Took me another 4 hours before the bleeding stopped enough that I could sit and watch tv.

There is no such thing as a minor procedure

It wasn't the fall that killed him.
    It was the sudden stop.

Keep kicking!

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    You know that if you live long enough you will die of prostate cancer. Have had the biopsies done too and they are basically blind punch procedures. By luck (bad) he hit a blood vessel but it would really piss me off that they just shunted you to the ER not that there is a lot that the doc could do in the office. I wouldn't hold this against the doctor as it could happen with any prostate biopsy. Hope the path comes back good, especially after that bleeding.
    When your PSA shoots up though what are your choices? Do nothing, MRI, biopsy, watchful waiting? My doctor has put me on antibiotics for a month and repeated the PSA to see if it had gone down, and it did.
    Also, did you have sex before the PSA? Abstain for a couple of weeks as that will raise your PSA.
    If there is cancer then you have to decide on Rx (or no Rx) and for me I would go for robotic surgery over radiation with someone that has done a lot of them. Hope your biopsy comes back normal.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    You know that if you live long enough you will die of prostate cancer. Have had the biopsies done too and they are basically blind punch procedures. By luck (bad) he hit a blood vessel but it would really piss me off that they just shunted you to the ER not that there is a lot that the doc could do in the office. I wouldn't hold this against the doctor as it could happen with any prostate biopsy. Hope the path comes back good, especially after that bleeding.
    When your PSA shoots up though what are your choices? Do nothing, MRI, biopsy, watchful waiting? My doctor has put me on antibiotics for a month and repeated the PSA to see if it had gone down, and it did.
    Also, did you have sex before the PSA? Abstain for a couple of weeks as that will raise your PSA.
    If there is cancer then you have to decide on Rx (or no Rx) and for me I would go for robotic surgery over radiation with someone that has done a lot of them. Hope your biopsy comes back normal.
    My fault; I should have worn my mask

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I had sex about an hour before the PSA test. Was NEVER asked. New Doc - I have a healthy prostate, but it is LARGE. So PSA # will always be high. Was NEVER any medically necessary reason for the biopsy, except white jacket revenue enhancement.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I had sex about an hour before the PSA test. Was NEVER asked. New Doc - I have a healthy prostate, but it is LARGE. So PSA # will always be high. Was NEVER any medically necessary reason for the biopsy, except white jacket revenue enhancement.
    If you had sex before the PSA that would elevate your lab result. If they didn't warn you about that you need a new doctor. Been there and done that with an elevated PSA, treated, for a month with antibiotics, held off on sex and repeat PSA normal. Biopsy would be done if a nodule was felt or mass showed up on sonogram. Hope your biopsy is normal. And yes, I have had biopsies too, no fun.

Top Bottom