• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    What about Gander? I'd settle for one of those in north Austin. Like to have it closer; but the outlet mall area might work.
    Shoot...now that I think about it, there's an empty HEB and an empty furniture store location on 183 in nw Austin. NOW we're talkin' ;)

Eh. Gander is like a lesser Academy. Never been too thrilled in there. Nonetheless, it's been a while since I've been there, and I've got time to kill, so I'll reaffirm my thoughts shortly.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Eh. Gander is like a lesser Academy. Never been too thrilled in there. Nonetheless, it's been a while since I've been there, and I've got time to kill, so I'll reaffirm my thoughts shortly.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

Dang...they put out a pretty good catalog. Never been in the store, however.

I wonder what happened to the Sportsman's ?Warehouse? that was at IH 35 and the 45 Toll in Round Rock. As I said, it was gone when we arrived in '08 and the building was still empty last time I went through. Surprised to think they were too 'early' for the area, especially since they were on the Interstate...sort of the 'last gun thing' before leaving Austin headed north(but maybe too close to Academy and AGL just one exit north).

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Dang...they put out a pretty good catalog. Never been the store, however.

Unimpressed again. They did have (just got a shipment in and were stocking when I went in) several personal defense rounds including 9, 40, 45 etc. All around prices on stuff were higher than the Academy across the street. Only thing I saw of interest was some 8mm Mauser which nobody stocks normally beyond Cabela's. Glad I reload for it though because it was almost $40 per 20 rounds.

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    selection wise: cabelas, bps, gander academy
    price: academy, gander,bps, cabelas

in my opinion! and i wish they would open up a cabelas in houston!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    selection wise: cabelas, bps, gander academy
    price: academy, gander,bps, cabelas

in my opinion! and i wish they would open up a cabelas in houston!

I disagree on the price thing. Cabalas is #2 for price. You can get some great deals on ammo there. $129 for 2000 rds of 22LR is pretty dang good.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Yes, there is Bass Pro, but no, not the same thing, even basically. Bass Pro pales in comparison to Cabela's. ESPECIALLY in their firearm area.

That may be so but they are still, essentially, the same. It's like comparing Wal Mart and Target. I even took a poll at work today for verification. Granted, only 4 folks had been in both.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I disagree on the price thing. Cabalas is #2 for price. You can get some great deals on ammo there. $129 for 2000 rds of 22LR is pretty dang good.

Plus don't forget about items that can be cost prohibitive to ship such as a 50 count box of hunting bullets (not ammo) for an obscure caliber or any hazmat items. A good face to face store has a lot of merits.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    If cost wasn't the main factor in this discussion, I would consider Cabela's to be top of the line in firearm, ammo, and outdoor selection. But that's just me. I'm no retail guru.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I've never had any issues with their pricing, but I buy the Vast majority of their stuff on clearance.

Gander mnt is high. But it's all name brand stuff.

Top Bottom