• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    get some muffler hanger strap. same as the erector set stuff.
    I was thinking of heading to lowes for some pieces of steel brackets but then I hopped on ebay again: rear fender is $55, tail light is another $30 that includes a license plate holder. I'll have to compare some more diagrams and photos because the seller pointed out to me he had a rear hoop added to the frame (See first post of the bike in the van) so a stock fender may not even fit without me cutting that hoop off. My concern is if there was a cross-brace removed to accommodate this rear hoop, I may be stuck with this bobber/cafe racer modification. I'll look at it more on my lunch break or after work.

Another issue is with the current shocks that rear hoop is about 3/4" away from the rear tire. Sitting on the bike that gap is still there with the shocks on the stiffest setting. If its just a hoop that isn't necessary and no other frame modifications, I think I'd be comfortable cutting that off and using a factory fender to sort out the tail light and plate holder so it doesn't look like I used Home Depot brackets to mount stuff.
    Guns International

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Fuel lines delivered, oil delivered and in the crank case.

I filled the front forks with ATF and they are s.t.i.f.f. might need to take a few milliliters out. They're nearly rock solid. Whoops. Easy fix with just a little frustration jamming that top nut on top of the fork.

Poured gas in the tank, turned the petcock to on and that little plunger on the carb is in fact a primer. I kept looking at the fuel through the fuel filter and got a few tablespoons of gas on the floor from the air filter pod before I noticed. Not the proudest routing of the fuel line, but its a 1/4" ID from the petcock to a 5/16" at the carb and easy enough to route inside the frame a little better later. I got lucky and mis-ordered these fuel filters that can work with both ID's, see photo for how it works.

Also, if any old-timer riders can give me the nickel tour of petcocks that'd be great. I assume switch the fuel to "off" when I park it for a while (how long?). Reserve if it stalls out due to low fuel in the tank, and "on" for regular riding?

I pushed the starter and it cranked for 2 seconds and it tried to fire up. Let it sit for a couple seconds and pushed the starter again, fired up before I could blink. Sound is a little silly because I accidentally covered one of my phone's mics. But she's alive. A little high idle, but takes light revs good and slowly comes down again. Doesn't appear I need to do any tuning or messing with the carb other than idle speed.

Downside is the clutch arm moves both on the bars and the crank case; it feels okay like my other bike. I got a little brave and clicked into first (at least it feels like its clicking into gears) and slowly let the clutch on the bar out. No power transmission. Tried second, same lack of power transmission. Its either because I took that 1 clutch disc out and now there isn't enough in the stack, or something deeper in the transmission is borked. Not terribly excited about draining this oil and back to square one on this clutch, I could really use some help and don't' really know where to find it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_191441230.jpg
      PXL_20240211_191441230.jpg
      238.1 KB · Views: 20
    Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    added the other clutch disc back, in first gear clutch pulled in theres still enough power to spin the rear wheel on my slick garage floor and adding any revs the engine just stalls. (front tire against car, brakes applied) like it needs another 1/16 to 1/8th inch extra travel, but the clutch cable is at its maximum for adjustment.

Clutch woes the bike so far; engine sounds good but smokes a bit, I attribute that to brand new engine and exhaust startup. Now its just sorting this clutch nonsense. Grip feels okay, cable feels free, and its just a little too much grip on the clutch itself.

Back to the healing bench and thinking stool...

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Classic ID-10-T error: I undid the cable at the bracket and noticed some slack. Adjusted to where it probably should be and all is well. I took it around the block (in mexico since its not plated or legal) at a leisurely pace testing front and rear brakes, 1-n-2 shifts, and it feels good. No unusual sounds or riding behavior. The idle is a little slow to calm down and the speedometer even at a stop also is slow to come back down to 0mph too but who cares about that; this bike will likely never get over 55 and it had 0 miles on the odometer... on a 42 year old bike.

Boys, its with great pleasure to announce I have a running and riding bike again! I'm going to work on the seat mount, test the brake light, and then look for brackets to mount the plate to, then see if theres anything I can adjust on this carb.

I'm going to get a few "miscellaneous brackets" from Lowes to mount the seat and maybe the plate to then paint them black to blend in with the frame. Rear fender is impossible now because of the modified frame. Painting the tank is still on the "if I get bored" list. Maybe after that fab up some side covers because I don't want to pay $100 for old cracked ones. I've never been a fan of ratrods or "I made this at home" sorta look, but we'll see what happens with it all.

Hop on FB market place and craigslist: if you were looking for a project bike and the price is right buy it. It gave me something to do for 30-60 minutes at a time and I've had so much fun getting it just to where it is today. I had a stupid grin the entire time I was scooting around the block this evening.

Attachments

• PXL_20240215_003731909.jpg
      PXL_20240215_003731909.jpg
      385.4 KB · Views: 26

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    A timid ole man once said

Feb 4, '24
    Plus this bike will probably never get over 45mph for a while.

And then . . . he felt young at heart again

Feb 14, '24
    . . . but who cares about that; this bike will likely never get over 55 and it had 0 miles on the odometer... on a 42 year old bike.

Boys, its with great pleasure to announce I have a running and riding bike again!
    Awesome, well done! I didn't even notice your thread until tonight.
    Motor sounds solid in the vid. <thumbsup>

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    So after 2 rides around the neighborhood, I think I feel confident enough to get it insured and plated. Lost 1 bolt or pin for the rear brake linkage. I heard exactly when it happened and it was an easy fix anyway. Got the brake light wired up and working just fine on the rear brake switch. Front brake switch was acting odd so I tried to remove it and it broke. I can touch the wires together and the brake light works fine so it had to be a broken switch to begin with. I got a 10-pack of LED plate lights to hold the plate on and be legal by illuminating my plate (as if the cop's headlights wouldn't do that) but I'm hesitant to wire it all up because the thru-wires will act as retention bolts. I'll wire it up and get it all ready to simply plug in when I get the plate.

Tail light that came with the bike had a curious blemish on it and the plastic cover. I think the seller tried touching the wires to a battery and killed it but didn't bother to tell me. I got pretty much the same thing shipped direct from china. Its alright, especially for the $12 it cost. (Turn signal was on for the photo)

I'm not super happy with the erector-set seat mount ONLY because the 6 10mm bolts are just difficult to get to but considering the options, it'll be fine. Its really only inhibiting how the gas tank is removed, which I'll probably explore a rattle can option when its august and 110 and just too darn hot to ride. I was thinking some black or blue enamel krylon stuff from Lowes.

Does anyone know the general process for getting a bike plated? I have the title (bonded) from the seller who never bothered to sign or have it registered to him, but near as I can tell I have to have insurance on the bike before the title can be in my name and plate sent? I assume insurance>tax collection and title process> wait for plate in mail> inspection> then sticker?

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_002017191.jpg
      PXL_20240217_002017191.jpg
      288.8 KB · Views: 17
    • PXL_20240225_014017907.jpg
      PXL_20240225_014017907.jpg
      302.5 KB · Views: 17
    • PXL_20240225_160557241.jpg
      PXL_20240225_160557241.jpg
      247.4 KB · Views: 18
    • PXL_20240228_205744270.jpg
      PXL_20240228_205744270.jpg
      307.7 KB · Views: 18
    • PXL_20240228_205753106.jpg
      PXL_20240228_205753106.jpg
      290.7 KB · Views: 15

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    And then . . . he felt young at heart again
    I did take it up to 50 after getting it inspected. Because the suspension has been modified and its a 42 year old bike it'll be a little while just to keep shaking it down. I lost a $25 case cap on this little ride. Why on earth would I check to see if a case cap was fully tightened? Oh well, fun little buzzy bike that'll be just fine for tossing on a backpack to head to the brewery, whataburg, or getting something from walmart.

I hope my thread inspired someone to find an inexpensive parts bike and just get it running again. Its rather fun bringing a pile of parts back from the scrap bin, maybe spending a few bucks to make it better, and getting it going again. The 'primer' tank kinda fits in with the borderline ratty condition of the bike. I'm still on the fence about buying some rattle can enamel to paint it, certainly not to disassemble it all again and dealing with paint, primer, bondo. Now if only I could get that Datsun for a reasonable price.

Registration, plate, inspection, and title transfer was $117. She broke it down and said it was I think $40 for the title transfer, $55 for registration sticker, a pile of fees and crap on top of it, plus $7 for the inspection. On the plus side $44 to insure it for a year.

Attachments

• PXL_20240308_180349067.jpg
      PXL_20240308_180349067.jpg
      395 KB · Views: 24
    • PXL_20240308_180358895.jpg
      PXL_20240308_180358895.jpg
      576.9 KB · Views: 24
    Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Here's a screamin' deal project for one of you . . . Yankees :what:
    Go get it and makes us proud . . . say by December. ;)

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Here's a screamin' deal project for one of you . . . Yankees :what:
    Go get it and makes us proud . . . say by December. ;)

Maybe I'll sign up to that forum and offer him $50 to see if he simply wants to get rid of the heap after seeing if the engine turns over by wrench. Even if I get it all back together and its got everything but a working engine that'd still be fun and not a huge loss hopefully.

I think I sold that bike lift from the Honda project; thats increasing the value of the Honda! Dang 'ol tag/title/reg/inspection ate into the value proposition. I rode it for 40 kilometers (metric speedo) yesterday, mostly soda-runs around town. I messed up and hit 55mph. I thought I was in mortal danger haha. (Sarcasm: old vehicles always feel like you're in mortal danger over 50mph)

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Saw a listing on craigslist for a "project bike" for $425 and kinda made an impulse purchase. I was looking for a little project to get me in the garage over the winter and this may be the ticket if the weather stays colder and I don't want to ride my other bike. Its a 1982 Honda CM250C. Seller said he's downsizing his house and wanted to get rid of a few hobby projects, time will tell if he knew something was truly broken and expensive, or telling the truth. Its my first project bike and its older than me so no real electronics to mess with, but its all ancient tech and parts. Seller said eBay (yuck) is flooded with bike specific parts. I already know even in immaculate condition these bikes only sell for $2500, okay driver condition are $1500-2000. I'm not looking for a flip on this, I wanted a project and maybe something to knock around town with its silly 14 horsepower. But if I can stay within a "profit zone" on this bike that wouldn't be so bad.

Not so great:
    Came with a rusty unpainted gas tank
    New seat but no way to bolt it down
    clutch cable detached but NOS Honda part included
    Rear tail light is a used LED unattached
    Something isn't right with the clutch. I can take the side cover off, but the clutch lever on the case will not move the clutch. I can't even push it in which makes me think something is jammed up.
    Tree lock appears to be keyed incorrectly; I took apart the tumbler this evening and 1 or 2 leafs sticks up with the key in. Lock guys will know.
    Just rolling it down a ramp, the front brake could slow the tire, but man these drums don't give me confidence yet.
    Something isn't right with the carb, but I can't tell what; its my first carb and I know it'll take some effort to make it right again; the linkage brackets just don't seem right.
    Kinda crummy rattle can black on the frame and engine fins, who knows if high temp paint was used; it looks oily when clean and dry.
    Old plug wires and starter motor wire.

Not so great, but not bad and maybe even good:
    All factory wiring is still working: Key on to aftermarket speedo works, headlight and front turn signals work. Horn doesn't for some reason, but there are numerous wires simply disconnected flapping in the breeze. Some other exposed connections, wires, and questionable prior installs would make me panic if there was a quick splash or rain while riding though.
    Came with a Haynes manual, so that saves me $40
    Starter motor works, engine turns over and it sounds like it has compression.
    Tires are fresh, chrome wire spokes look great, headlight is new.
    No rear fender and the frame now has a rear "hoop" around the back, no idea if I can still attach a rear fender or what.
    New battery with a drain hole I managed to splash on myself already
    New side gaskets
    Bike even came with some Harbor Freight Bike lift and a weird stand/ramp combo thing that already helped keep me from getting a hernia moving it from my van.
    New Chinese chain in box, new sprockets
    New NGK spark plugs

Took a few things apart just to spend an hour or two in the garage and so far I've got a bad ground lead, clutch hasn't healed itself but it will shift from 1-n-2 with the engine off, Battery is fresh, tree lock may be deleted, and 95% of the parts are with the bike. Now I just need to install and make it all work!

If anyone has any guidance for the clutch that would be very much apricated. I figure I'd try to get the clutch cable installed and sorted before disassembly of the clutch pack since I have a phobia of springs ejecting themselves from assemblies.
    Same with the carburetor; there are multiple blades that seem like they should work together, but maybe theres some vacuum wizardry I'm not familiar with.

Let me know if theres any interest to follow along with the restoration too, no sense in posting for nobody. And yes, I did haul the bike sideways in my minivan with a ramp and jack in there too haha. So much easier than a pickup truck with the lower deck!
    Nice!!!!

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    View attachment 441265

Re: the Seca 900 link

Dayum !!!
    haha oh well. I probably should have snagged it, but also my garage is full now. Figure I'll enjoy this little Honda for a few months, wait for the title to get to me in the mail, then try to sell it. I never look forward to the selling process and I imagine selling a $1000 or less bike is going to be its own weird process. All in the name of funding the next project though, I'm not greedy! (It'll be for sale soon, I'd just like to enjoy my handiwork for a bit first)

There will be other box-o-parts project bikes out there for pretty cheap or free in the future. I had a few brews over the weekend and looked on craigslist again finding some stuff that I was mildly interested in for under $200, and some actual crackhead listings like a disassembled bike missing title for $3000.

Top Bottom