• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm watching alot of information come in on engine failures and thr tear downs point to alot of lubrication issues being the problem

Looking at what I'm seeing the oil looks to be breaking down and building sludge and blocking oil squirter and passages. That almost always leaves the bearings starving for oil and begins the failure process

So what drives the manufacturers when they state the ODI on their engines? It's not what you think it is..and it's not about you getting the most life out of the engine.

Here are 3 factors that go into the factory recommended ODIs

They set the ODI to get the customers past the warranty period which on GM now on most models is only 60,000 miles.

If they can push the interval out to 7500 or even 10,000 they get CAFE credit points from the government because the vehicle will produce less waste oil and environmental impact.

Also they factor in the the reduction of oil changes into their total cost of ownership for the vehicle.
    These things are marketing and environmental government regulatory issues not how can we get the.best life out of this engine.

The oils in the great majority of factory fills and specifications are semi or full synthetic. But are being pushed beyond their limits in my opinion.

The oil change reminders in most cars are just timers..simple..although GMs version does have an algorithm that incorporates driving style into it

I have cut my intervals almost in half.
    The wife's new 4RUNNER says 10k
    I'm doing 5k and my 2024 Ram with 6.7 Cummins says 10k and I'm doing 7k

Also one sure fire way of knowing how far your oil can go in your engine with your driving style is to send in samples for testing. Kits can be bought on Amazon and other places for about $25 each.

If you catch a sample of your oil at say 5000 miles and the sample comes back ok then maybe next time you can push it out a little further and retest to find the limits

Just some food for thought here.
    Texas SOT

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    1 yr/5k here....period. For one thing, it's a LOT easier to keep track of - when I hit mileage evenly divided by 5k, it's time for a change. When I bought my Gladiator back in December, it supposedly had just had the oil changed, and it looked it.
    I'm leaving Monday for two weeks to make the "last trip" out west in memory of my late wife - it's the trip I promised her 2 months before her stroke in her new '22 Aviator. Sold the Aviator last week w/less than 3k miles on it (no way I'd ever drive that car without her). So, I had the oil changed last week, then will keep doing it at 5k intervals w/full synthetic oil Yeah - maintenance IS cheaper than repairs!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I've been doing annual oil changes with full synthetic whether they need it or not. But my vehicles rarely exceed 1,500 to 3,500 miles annually now that the wife can't drive. 5k has always been my max limit and I felt like that was pushing it.
    ^ This. Almost exactly my story - except I drive an exorbitant 8000 miles annually.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I knew a man who regularly put 60,000 miles on his Cummins with Amsoil. He tested his oil regularly and “ refreshed “ his oil by topping it off when needed.
    I use Rotella every 7,500 to10,000 miles. Have 495,000 on her.

RaySendero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    US South
    Our 13 yo Camry has recommended 10k mile oil change intervals. I’ve been changing at 5k miles since new, and at 220k + miles I’ve had zero issues. The 5k falls in with my 1k miles per sump capacity theory and it’s also easy to keep track of

Yeah, I change oil in my Camry after 5,000 miles even though it states in manual 10,000, the oil change light always comes on at 5,000 ?!

Use full synthetic and reset the "B" odometer after each oil change so when engine maintenance light comes on I'll know if its oil change time or some other problem.

PS: O'Reilly Auto Parts near me has a reader so if its not oil change and is something else.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Our 13 yo Camry has recommended 10k mile oil change intervals. I’ve been changing at 5k miles since new, and at 220k + miles I’ve had zero issues. The 5k falls in with my 1k miles per sump capacity theory and it’s also easy to keep track of

Eh and the 16 year old Camry that I handed down to my daughter now has 315,000 trouble free miles with 10k oil change intervals.

New engines run cleaner and are built to better tolerances than the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Last change was 7000 Miles. I sent it out to blackstone for oil analysis. It came back great they said to try 9000 Mile. I wont do that I will stick to 7000 . I am using amsoil XL

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    When I used the older Dino oils, it was every 2,500 miles; with the Mobil 1, every 5,000. Both easy to remember plus, I reset the "B" odometer to double check myself. Only thing is my Ram 1500 5.7 calls for 5-20 and I use 5-30, same as my wife's Nissan Altima with the 2.0 Turbo.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Last change was 7000 Miles. I sent it out to blackstone for oil analysis. It came back great they said to try 9000 Mile. I wont do that I will stick to 7000 . I am using amsoil XL

Yep this is what drove me to be comfortable going to 10k between changes.

If you want to know how much money you are wasting on old school thinking, pull a sample and send to Blackstone.

They will dispel the myths on the 3k or even 5k oil changes.

I ran my dirty old Cummins diesel to almost 11k and they said I could probably go to 12k with confidence. And this was with straight old Rotella oil, no synthetic oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Every one does what they think best.

Here in Central Pa...heat/thaw/condensation in crankcase...

I change at 3,000 miles. LOF...

Only vehicle to use synthetic oil is the Electra Glide. It gets changed at 3,000 miles. Trans & Primary once a year or 10,000 miles.

The Shovelhead uses regular oil...so it gets changed every 1,000 miles...

Welding machine (250cid FoMoCo six cylinder) gets changed once a year or every 100 hours....

Top Bottom