• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yep this is what drove me to be comfortable going to 10k between changes.

If you want to know how much money you are wasting on old school thinking, pull a sample and send to Blackstone.

They will dispel the myths on the 3k or even 5k oil changes.

I ran my dirty old Cummins diesel to almost 11k and they said I could probably go to 12k with confidence. And this was with straight old Rotella oil, no synthetic oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use oil analysis will confirm or expose oil condition.

It's not something that a blanket statement like yours will cover

Different engines, oils and driving conditions do effect how long the oil can go.

Also..Shell Rotella T4 is synthetic.

The big three Delvac, Rotella and Delo have been synthetic or blends for years

They all still make a non synthetic but the names are different
    Military Camp

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Use oil analysis will confirm or expose oil condition.

It's not something that a blanket statement like yours will cover

Different engines, oils and driving conditions do effect how long the oil can go.

Also..Shell Rotella T4 is synthetic.

The big three Delvac, Rotella and Delo have been synthetic or blends for years

They all still make a non synthetic but the names are different

That’s why I said send your oil off for testing. My example was just representative of my experience.

I don’t run Rotella T. I’ve not seen any conclusive, viable evidence that synthetic is better enough if any better to justify the extra cost.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Every one does what they think best.

Here in Central Pa...heat/thaw/condensation in crankcase...

I change at 3,000 miles. LOF...

Only vehicle to use synthetic oil is the Electra Glide. It gets changed at 3,000 miles. Trans & Primary once a year or 10,000 miles.

The Shovelhead uses regular oil...so it gets changed every 1,000 miles...

Welding machine (250cid FoMoCo six cylinder) gets changed once a year or every 100 hours....

Oil and filter are pretty cheap. Low cost maintenance items. I just never thought stretching an oil change out was worth the pennies saved (even when I was pinching pennies from necessity).

I can only lead you to water. I can’t make you drink it.

If I thought there wasn’t any proof that 3-5k oil changes are a farce for MOST people, I wouldn’t practice 10k+ oil changes with excellent results on my personal vehicles.

Another personal example I can refer to is my hand me down 2004 Z71 5.3L that my son is still driving with 400k miles on it on the original engine with OCI of between 9-10k per.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Bought my 2016 Tundra new and now has 35,000 miles on it, mostly in town driving with about 2,000 highway. I bought it very close to house so the dealer could do all the maintenance and repairs and they keep all the records. Oil change with their brand of synthetic and tire rotation every 5,000 miles. I have a few old friends who poo poo paying extra for synthetic but blow $$$ out the wazoo on other stuff. Never made sense to me….

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I can only lead you to water. I can’t make you drink it.

If I thought there wasn’t any proof that 3-5k oil changes are a farce for MOST people, I wouldn’t practice 10k+ oil changes with excellent results on my personal vehicles.

Another personal example I can refer to is my hand me down 2004 Z71 5.3L that my son is still driving with 400k miles on it on the original engine with OCI of between 9-10k per.

You are obviously free to go 20,000 miles if you wish.

I choose not to do so. Perhaps I am being conservative, but an oil change doesn't take much of my time or money.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don’t run Rotella T. I’ve not seen any conclusive, viable evidence that synthetic is better enough if any better to justify the extra cost.
    Then you're not looking hard enough or can't understand the data.

Obviously you saw the benefit of paying for oil analysis testing so your logic on running conventional oil doesn't make sense to me I guess

Last edited:

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I never thought I'd pay anyone to change my oil, I always did everything to my cars except body work. Then one day it became difficult to lay on the ground. Getting down was easier than getting back up. Reading all the posts here got me to remembering the 1970 VW Bug I had all those years, and the question of oil change intervals. There were several shops around town that worked on old VWs so word spread fast. Not a cult but definately enthusiasts. We debated oils and one constant was never use synthetic blends because the engines leaked bad enough as it was. At the end of the day, Valvoline 40w was the winner year around. I still have a few cans of old Valvoline in garage and oil change pans and funnels just for memorabilia only.

Top Bottom