• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    When OP started with a CHL, I asked a Police Officer what he thought about it, He said, in his opinion.
    If He and I were standing at the register and a bad guy came in to rob the place, He thought we were targets because the bad guy would want to eliminate the threats, which would be us. We would be taken by surprise if there were a lot of people in the store. I said what's the odds some other in the store would be carrying concealed? He says, would you trust your life to somebody you don't know? Me personally, if I'm at the store and somebody wants to rob it, so be it, it ain't my money anyway, if he points in my direction, my intention would be to dispatch his ars in one round, like the guy at the Church shooting if possible. Let"s just hope to God that never happens.

And it's rare somebody comes up behind me I don't notice. Pick your circumstance.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Except I was at a Valero waiting to meet a computer tech to give him a hard drive to diagnose. I was by my car and this day I was open carrying. Several people passed me going into the store. A manager came out and said some people were nervous because they could see my gun would I mind waiting in my car. I didn't have a problem with that.

I have a problem with it.

Not judging you or the situation whatsoever; you did what's right for you.
    That said - every time we 'hide' so someone else's feelings aren't hurt only reinforces their perceived justification for wanting/needing a safe space.

In my universe - everyone would have firearms training, and be required to carry.

How d'ya like them apples?
    1705848619385.png

Last edited:

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I've seen just three in Texas since it became legal for permit holders. One was at a Walmart in Sulphur Springs, another was a guy filling his truck at a gas station off I-10 west of Houston. The third was my home inspector when we bought the townhouse. She said she has to go to a lot of sketchy places. She had a SIG p365 with an optic. I didn't ask, I just recognized it.

I've been traveling around the south and west for the last couple of years. I probably saw 30 in a small town in Mississippi in the two hours I was there. We stopped for lunch and I realized that everybody in the place was strapped. Many open, some not. Might be the safest town in America.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a problem with it.

Not judging you or the situation whatsoever; you did what's right for you.
    That said - every time we 'hide' so someone else's feelings are hurt only reinforces their perceived justification for wanting/needing a safe space.

In my universe - everyone would have firearms training, and be required to carry.

How d'ya like them apples?
    View attachment 428508

I get what you are saying, but if he didn't get in the car, the manager could have made him leave the property.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I get what you are saying, but if he didn't get in the car, the manager could have made him leave the property.
    Could he? Under what authority? Unless there were signs posted, I mean.

The gov doesn't need to infringe on our right - as long as the snowflake sheep do it for them.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've been traveling around the south and west for the last couple of years. I probably saw 30 in a small town in Mississippi in the two hours I was there. We stopped for lunch and I realized that everybody in the place was strapped. Many open, some not. Might be the safest town in America.
    And I would bet that those in that town that didn't carry got used to others carrying. The only way to lessen peoples fears is to make it the norm.

george b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2023
    Texas
    I think that people who open carry are just wanting to show it off. Same with people who use their carry permit for photo identification somewhere instead of a driver's license. Just a "look at me" kind of thing.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I think that people who open carry are just wanting to show it off. Same with people who use their carry permit for photo identification somewhere instead of a driver's license. Just a "look at me" kind of thing.

There is also a deterrence factor!!

Let’s say Granny from Beverly Hillbillies has a 10th degree black belt in (pick a martial art). She and Jethro go walking through some tough neighborhoods. Which one is more likely to get mugged? Why?

Predators, two legged and four legged, look for the weakest for their attacks. The same reason that gun free zones have become the most likely places for mass shootings.

I think only humans go looking for trophies and you will mostly see tales of armed people being ”taken out” prior to an attack in the movies—not the news.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    What should he have done differently?

Stand outside the truck until the police arrived to trespass him?

He did what works for him, and I've no problem with that whatsoever.

My choice, when first approached by the Mgr, would be to ask him.."If I was black, and someone inside your store said negroes made them nervous, would you still come out here and ask me to leave? I'm sorry the person is nervous about it, but Texas law gives me the right to open carry."

In other words - I'd put it back on the person (Mgr) who is infringing. IF the Mgr then tells me he'll call the police if I dont leave... I'd decide then if it was gonna be a Rosa Parks moment, or not.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not confrontational, I take the easy way out, unless push comes to shove. I carry to protect myself and family.
    Exactly! While certainly I'll carry concealed in the big cities, in Odessa it's a non-issue to open carry (off campus). While there may be some who fears seeing someone other than LEO open carrying, they need to get over it.

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    I often carry a J Frame with a DeSantis Clip Grip hooked on the mouth of my jeans pocket.
    All you see is the small black grip.

I can carry a Government 1911 in my waistband with just the stag grip showing on the top of my belt. .

Or, I can carry a chrome Government with blinking pearl grips in a spiderweb holster on the outside of my belt. Ya know, something resembling the front bumper of a 53 Buick

Yeah, it's my right to draw as much attention to myself as I want to.
    I call it the Tactical Elton John look.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I often carry a J Frame with a DeSantis Clip Grip hooked on the mouth of my jeans pocket.
    All you see is the small black grip.

I can carry a Government 1911 in my waistband with just the stag grip showing on the top of my belt.

Or, I can carry a chrome Government with blinking pearl grips in a spiderweb holster on the outside of my belt.

Yeah, it's my right to draw as much attention to myself as I want to.
    I carry the same guns the same way (and in the same county). And with the Hip Grip, it's not only inexpensive, it's very comfortable.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom