• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    I’m a happy owner of an Sig Sauer P238 Scorpion… I needed, and it has, an ambi safety due to my “curse” of being lefty. A buddy who’s shopping for his first gun wants a carry gun and is also lefty, so we tried the S&W CSX 9mm due to looks and ambi safety (and ambi slide release, a bonus). The recoil was a bit too snappy for him so I figure he’s a good candidate for a .380 carry pistol. However, to my knowledge the P238 is discontinued… is that correct? If so, what comparable carry guns in .380 would y’all recommend, especially with at least an ambi safety? I could try helping him find a used Scorpion, but that could be quite a chore. Thanks.
    Target Sports

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Why would you want an external safety? Only one more thing to slow your response down and provides no benefit in return. Sig P365X or XL has less recoil than the P-238 (better frame design), uses the more reliable 9mm Luger ammo (shell tapered for better loading) and is cheaper to own (9mm vs .380ACP ammo cost). Otherwise look at P-322 as an option for someone that has a very low ability to handle recoil. Also, note the full-sized firearms are easier to shoot than any of the small guns.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Why would you want an external safety? Only one more thing to slow your response down and provides no benefit in return. Sig P365X or XL has less recoil than the P-238 (better frame design), uses the more reliable 9mm Luger ammo (shell tapered for better loading) and is cheaper to own (9mm vs .380ACP ammo cost). Otherwise look at P-322 as an option for someone that has a very low ability to handle recoil. Also, note the full-sized firearms are easier to shoot than any of the small guns.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    I like my P938 and felt recoil on it while next to a P238 is not a whole lot different. The .380 market is a tough game to play in now with the capacity of the Ruger LCP-MAX.

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    I liked my p238 but the Ruger Max won out due to capacity. Find a range with a good selection of rental guns and try some. Could save you or your friend a lot of money…and regrets.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Subcompact isn't always the best way to go, even for concealability. Plenty of people with all kinds of body shapes conceal full size pistols - it's a matter of a good holster and wardrobe - and that doesn't always mean an untucked button-up shirt. With a tuckable IWB I've concealed my Sig SP2022 under a dress shirt quite well at 3 o'clock. The only kind of concealed carry a subcompact like the P238 is "required" for is pocket carry. Something full-size (or even compact rather than subcompact)with a little more mass will handle 9mm better and be a more pleasant shooting experience when you're maintaining proficiency...and as Tcruse said, you'll save a lot of money on ammo (and have an easier time finding it).

And yeah, with modern pistol designs an external safety is not really a requirement for carrying safely. They're generally going to have passive safeties built in - often on the trigger or in the form of a decocker on a double-action only pistol. Or both.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I’m a happy owner of an Sig Sauer P238 Scorpion… I needed, and it has, an ambi safety due to my “curse” of being lefty. A buddy who’s shopping for his first gun wants a carry gun and is also lefty, so we tried the S&W CSX 9mm due to looks and ambi safety (and ambi slide release, a bonus). The recoil was a bit too snappy for him so I figure he’s a good candidate for a .380 carry pistol. However, to my knowledge the P238 is discontinued… is that correct? If so, what comparable carry guns in .380 would y’all recommend, especially with at least an ambi safety? I could try helping him find a used Scorpion, but that could be quite a chore. Thanks.

I own a P238. A great substitute would be the Mustang Pocketlite.

Also, the comments about the P365 are correct. It’s less snappy than the littler P238. Mrs Tonelar stopped carrying my classic Colt Mustang when she shot the P365 to qualify for her permit.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    He wants an ambi safety. His choice. Why do we always argue?

Because too many of us always think we know better and there are more than enough folks who think they know better on this or that so that in toto they know best about everything. One day Frank knows best about safeties, the next day Peter knows best about ARs, following day Mathilda knows best about 1911s & potted plants, and on & on ad infinitum.:argue::rolleyes:

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I thought I wanted an ambi safety on my 1911 and in short order went back to the standard safety........

I carry OWB right side and found sometimes just putting on my seat belt or bumping against counter/shopping cart I would inadvertently click the safety off only to be discovered later.......

just my worth less than 2 cents experience.....not against them for anyone else.....

Top Bottom