• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Busy rookies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2024
    Austin
    Howdy All,

New Texas resident here as I got my car registered, temporary Texas drivers license until the permanent one comes in the mail, and a home. I surrendered my Florida residency.

I DO NOT have a ccw from Florida as Florida became a constitutional carry state in 2023.

Per Florida law, a Florida resident needs to abide by all the stipulations as if one were to apply for a ccw in Florida in order to permitless carry.

I see in Texas, in order to apply for a Texas ccw, you need to be a Texas resident for 6 months preceding the application.

***Does this mean I need to be a Texas resident for 6 months before I can permitless carry?

Otherwise, my circumstances align with all legalities required in the state of Texas to carry.
    Venture Surplus ad

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Welcome to Texas and Texas Gun Talk.....

Yes you may carry with your temporary DL....

Please do carry, but educate yourself on where you can and where you can't carry legally. Even though an LTC is not required, there are several benefits to obtaining one, and I would encourage you to do so.

ULEWZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2023
    Georgetown TX

Found this on a website, not sure it is still valid:

12. Do I have to be a resident of Texas to obtain an LTC?​

No. Per Texas Government Code §411.173, legal residents of another state or persons who relocate to Texas with the intent to establish residency may obtain an LTC. Those individuals must submit an application, pay the required fees, successfully complete the required training in Texas and submit all supporting documents. They also must submit form LTC-6, two passport style photos and a copy of their out-of-state driver license or state issued identification card. Note, however, that all LTC applicants must be legal residents of Texas or another state.

Last edited:

ULEWZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2023
    Georgetown TX
    And from US Law Shield:

Who Can Carry Under HB 1927?​

• You must be 21 years of age or older;
    • With some exceptions (see below), you must be able to legally purchase and possess handguns under both federal and Texas law;
    • You can’t have been convicted within the last five years of certain misdemeanor crimes or you will be disqualified. Those misdemeanor crimes are: Assault Causing Bodily Injury, Deadly Conduct, Terroristic Threat, Disorderly Conduct – Discharge, or Disorderly Conduct – Display. Under HB 1927, you cannot carry without a license until five years have elapsed from the date of conviction.
    • Note: Texas residency is not required.

Last edited:

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    No matter what the law says, I've always follow the SAPD advice on carrying, back before we had LTC, or constitutional carry.
    'Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6'.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    You don't need to be a Texas resident to permitless carry. Assuming you are 21 or over, etc.
    That is absolutely correct and hugely misunderstood.
    People walking around spreading myths that only Texans can carry permitlessly in Texas.
    Negative.
    Texas is one of the very few states which allow any lawful human being to be armed. I wish more states did away with residency requirements.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    That is absolutely correct and hugely misunderstood.
    People walking around spreading myths that only Texans can carry permitlessly in Texas.
    Negative.
    Texas is one of the very few states which allow any lawful human being to be armed. I wish more states did away with residency requirements.
    28 other states allow the same thing

Top Bottom