• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nates0819

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    FT Hood TX
    Hey all, so let me give you the low down. I'm building 2 AR's. One for myself and one for my wife. For mine I am getting a complete battlers upper to drop on my complete lower. Easy I know.
    For my wife's I took in a trade a brand new Daniel defense modular float rail. I believe it has everything it should come with. The nuts and screws needed to attach. I know I will need a gas system so I'm going to use direct impingement as I don't want to spend a fortune.
    So I guess my question is what else will I need to make a barreled upper? I did some searching and couldn't find how to buy a gas system. Also not sure what size it has to be. I did research on the rail and it says to use a 16" barrel. That right? So I'm guessing I need an upper receiver, gas system, and barrel?
    Here's a pic of what I have. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    yhehyvat.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nates0819

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    FT Hood TX
    First paragraph should say barreled upper*

The rail is the Daniel defense modular float rail 12.0 btw

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Gas tube, gas block, barrel, upper receiver, charging handle, bolt carrier group, optic.

The gas tube length will be determined by the barrel you pick. I prefer rifle length gas, but that is hard to find in a barrel under 20"

Last edited:

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    You'll need a minimum 16" barrel to stay legal without having to pin or silver solder your muzzle device. When you order your barrel pay attention to what the description states about the gas system (rifle, intermediate, mid or carbine) buy the matching gas tube. Also pay attention to the gas block diameter required. Most are .750" but if you buy a light weight barrel they can come with .625. Also pay attention to what kind of upper receiver you buy. If it has M4 feed ramps, buy a barrel with a matching extension. Also find a book on Amazon on building it out and pick up one of the service branch armorers manuals. There are a lot of books to use. I got one by Walt Kulek and it had good pics and tips. It was pretty easy if you're somewhat used to working with your hands. Also get a crush washer for your flash hider in the pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Thank you, building an AR is more stressful then buying a house!

Not even close.

Hardest part is deciding what you want. That is pure personal preference. I like an 18" barrel with rifle length gas. An adjustable gas block will allow you to tune for a specific ammo. Couple that with the m16 bcg, and you really have a rifle that shoots easy and smooth. Get a muzzle brake that does what you want it to do.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    For what you have now, I would by a complete upper from palmetto or somebody with a cheap hand guard, and swap yours to it. If you can wait 7 months, DSA has some real inexpensive stuff, that is still good quality.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not even close.

Hardest part is deciding what you want. That is pure personal preference. I like an 18" barrel with rifle length gas. An adjustable gas block will allow you to tune for a specific ammo. Couple that with the m16 bcg, and you really have a rifle that shoots easy and smooth. Get a muzzle brake that does what you want it to do.

(Insert dislike of AR here)

But...I like those 18" barrels!

Nates0819

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    FT Hood TX
    For what you have now, I would by a complete upper from palmetto or somebody with a cheap hand guard, and swap yours to it. If you can wait 7 months, DSA has some real inexpensive stuff, that is still good quality.

So if I bought the "PSA 16" M4 premium complete upper, for $299 I could simply take off the hand guards that are on it and put on my rail I have? The front sight post will have to be moved forward I imagine..

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    So if I bought the "PSA 16" M4 premium complete upper, for $299 I could simply take off the hand guards that are on it and put on my rail I have? The front sight post will have to be moved forward I imagine..

You'd have to pull the barrel. Remove the muzzle device, remove front sight post, remove handguard cap, remove barrel nut and delta ring assembly. Replace barrel with DD nut that comes with MFS handguard, buy new low profile has block and install where the FSP was. (You could also grind the FSP down to size). Replace muzzle device.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008

Get a low profile gas block or grind the sight down. You can't move it because it is also your gas block.

Nates0819

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    FT Hood TX
    I'm debating selling my modular float rail. Seems like a hassle to do all the required steps to put it on that upper i plan on getting. It's for my wife, she doesn't need anything to fancy.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe you should just buy a completed upper.
    You normally don't save much if anything building.
    You will however be able to get the custom configuration you desire.
    But if you are clueless in what parts go into a build, the is no point to a custom build.

Top Bottom