• ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    ah a fellow homeboy with fine taste I see, gonna throw a single point optic on it or an oxford if ya can find one?

View attachment 308918

my very 90's Bushmaster Rebuild.

No optics for this one, keeping it Vietnam era correct. Eventually I'll build an early rifle with a Colt carry handle optic.

Now this would be cool if only it were possible to acquire one. This is pure 80's retro, same company that made the sight Arnie used in The Terminator on his AMT Hardballer.

Laser Products Corporation Helium-Neon Laser
    Target Sports

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How my Colt Commando left the factory in 86

FBCB6C61-C62E-49AB-8DAC-C1FA41E569B9.jpeg

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    No optics for this one, keeping it Vietnam era correct. Eventually I'll build an early rifle with a Colt carry handle optic.

Now this would be cool if only it were possible to acquire one. This is pure 80's retro, same company that made the sight Arnie used in The Terminator on his AMT Hardballer.

Laser Products Corporation Helium-Neon Laser

there were some early short range optics used during 'Nam

like this guy with a Single Point OEG
    guy with singlepoint on carbine.jpg

and this guy with an oxford electronic sight, a VERY early type of red dot sight circa 1968

xm177 oxford sight.jpg

You also had guys who would take spare A1 pistol grips, lop the ears off em and use them as a fore grip in the holes of the handguards
    XM177E2 with foregrip taped mag.png

MAC V SOG guy with XM177 with single point sight, foregrip and custom chicom vest modified to fit 30 round M16 magazines

MACVSOG soldier.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    there were some early short range optics used during 'Nam

like this guy with a Single Point OEG
    View attachment 308959

and this guy with an oxford electronic sight, a VERY early type of red dot sight circa 1968

View attachment 308960

You also had guys who would take spare A1 pistol grips, lop the ears off em and use them as a fore grip in the holes of the handguards
    View attachment 308961

MAC V SOG guy with XM177 with single point sight, foregrip and custom chicom vest modified to fit 30 round M16 magazines

View attachment 308962

Yeah I've seen a lot of early systems used, it's just not something I want to put on this carbine. I can get my hands on an AN/PVS-2 starlight scope, that would look awesome on my M16A1 an there's a guy on Etsy that restores them to functioning condition. Just not something I'm looking at doing right now. I've got too many irons in the fire as it is, I'm keeping this build simple.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yep, that's a rare and valuable example right there. I'd have that little beauty mounted up on my wall for display. That lock ring on the buffer tube is hard to get, I've got a reproduction part inbound.
    The original commando upper & rubber coated stock are off and in the safe. Currently a new monolithic commando upper in on the gun. I have a collection of uppers for the registered receiver.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    The old school early red dots are still pretty cool.......imho.....

View attachment 309032

That's really cool, one of these days I'll have to try an build a replica of Arnolds gun in the Terminator. I've seen several replicas in videos, the long tube and side mount made it hard for the operator to rack the slide back. Still, the cool factor would be worth it.

This one was made by Laser Products Corporation
    hNtrJKv.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Made some more progress, got the upper assembled and ready to go. I've also got a reproduction handguard ordered so now all I need is for the receiver to come back from engraving so I can get it ready for Cerakote.

The upper came with a modern dust cover shown on the bottom, I got a correct early Colt dust cover to replace it shown on the top.
    GCF93OK.jpg

I also got a correct Colt delta ring dated 1973.
    MAvCl9R.jpg

Here is the completed upper minus the handguard. I checked it for head space and all checked out, it's ready to rock. I managed not damage the new finish by covering it with lots of tape during assembly.
    7CYdJna.jpg

qw6VPA5.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    didnt early Car15 not have the fwd assist?

The very early ones did, I have no idea how widespread their issue was though.

Brownell's has a timeline on their website.

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    My Uncle used one back in the day. He's asked me where to find one & I didn't have a clue. He did say, however, that the 'yards' liked the M1 Carbine.

Attachments

• Clint Nam.jpg
      Clint Nam.jpg
      19 KB · Views: 79

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I've slowly started my attempt at building a clone of the CAR-15 XM177E2. This will be an early Vietnam version of the rifle carried by SOG and other elite groups. I've done a lot of research and I think I've got good information to get this carbine fairly accurate. I'm being held up by two hard to find parts, but I've got one of them on the way and I have a guy trying to get me the other so I should be able to get her done soon enough. One of the parts was a lock ring which I'm hoping they've sent me the correct one and the other is an early 6 hole handguard with an unshielded gas tube.

XM177E2
    YQ3bFtO.jpg

Here's a mock up of some of the parts I have for this carbine, a few originals with a lot of reproduction pieces. You could build an Ok carbine like this, but I'm going a little further to get it as close as I can to the original. I've stripped all components down for rework.
    KPTVyLG.jpg

For a receiver I'm using Brownell's excellent early M16A1 receiver made by Nodac Spud. This is the correct unreinforced receiver for early M16 type rifles. It's currently at the gun shop for laser engraving. I hope they haven't screwed it up, the last one they did for me didn't take this long, lol.
    HdvynJz.jpg

I'm having the early colt pony and script along with the US Gov property marks and auto fire select engraved on the Brownell's receiver. Unfortunately Brownell's puts their model roll mark on it so no room for the XM177E2 designation, I can live without it though.
    zUwjr83.jpg

Attachments

• AR 15 bakelitegrip.jpg
      AR 15 bakelitegrip.jpg
      679.1 KB · Views: 73

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I'm going to call the gun shop in the morning to see where they are on the engraving. Been trying to avoid calling them as I don't want them to think I'm in a rush. Hopefully not much longer. Also, I got the handguard today so now I'm just waiting to get the lower back.

Top Bottom