Lynx Defense

San Antonio: Homeowner shot thief stealing potted plant.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    This article would make more sense if it was a "Pot Plant" and not a "Potted Plant". Wonder if there is a bit of wink wink nudge nudge here by the reporter.

Note the time of day before you say good shoot by the way.

Homeowner shoots alleged plant thief - San Antonio Express-News

Personally I don't care if it was the darkest part of night. I'm not wasting my time and risking my life\lifestyle shooting someone over such pettiness.
    Capitol Armory ad

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    The more criminals who get shot, the better.

I find it sad when a someone chooses to serve as judge, jury and executioner over petty theft. Even worse for the property owner when they do it wrong, as above, and could at best be faced with a grand jury.

If they are steeling someone's livelihood, like tools they need for their trade I understand 100%. It's worth $1000 to me just to keep my name and address and actions out of the news though.

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    I agree, who the hell steals potted plants. On the other hand, who in their right mind drops off their kids at school and goes to steal.
    A bit harsh, but he needed a spanking. He's a lucky thief. Not so bright homeowner.
    Someone has to say this and I am kidding, 10mm would have prevented lodging between scalp and skull.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Who knows what else he had in mind once he cleared the porch...a run at the door, perhaps?

Speaking of "mind" the homeowner needs to do some research on firearms and ammunition (and learn to shoot).

A

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I dont know the specifics. 80 year old woman vs. 22 year old tatooed gang banger? the specifics would clear it up quite a bit.

The injured man, in his 40s, wife told police he had been shot in the head after dropping his children off at school.

The guy was way out of his way though... No school in the driving route I can find between the apartments and the house that was robbed.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Shadw...mpwQEd7zQg-inlLTpKYF5chjEPNpSyBb7Arg&t=m&z=17

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Police spokesman said he wont be charged. I suppose we sall see.

That is good news, however that is just the criminal charges. And when do the police decide who gets charged in cases like this? I bet the local DA will have a bit of input on whether or not that is the case. Don't forget about Civil court, that is another thing entirely. I predict that this will cost them a lot of money................

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    That is good news, however that is just the criminal charges. And when do the police decide who gets charged in cases like this? I bet the local DA will have a bit of input on whether or not that is the case. Don't forget about Civil court, that is another thing entirely. I predict that this will cost them a lot of money................
    When the police dont arrest you and go on TV/radio and say you were justified and then put in their report that they do not believe that the shooter committed an offense....it makes it tough on the DA to do much.

Essentially the police said "WE aren't going to charge him." And its hard to prosecute a case when you put the investigating officer on the stand and he tells the jury he sees no offense.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ummm...the guy was stealing property. Homeowner won't be charged - and frankly, shouldn't be. Would I shoot a plant thief? Likely not - but for all we know, this may have been the umpteenth time this dirtbag did it, and the homeowner just finally decided "enough!"

Sorry - see no reason to give this a second thought.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Essentially the police said "WE aren't going to charge him." And its hard to prosecute a case when you put the investigating officer on the stand and he tells the jury he sees no offense.

Not if he is an idiot who does not know the law.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    My point is simply that if the police are going to get on the stand and defend the guy it makes it a hard case to prosecute.

Right or wrong....many DA's wont go after a crime victim who has the police backing him.

And if I know Susan Reed's office, they will pass on charging the homeowner

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Discussed this ealeir at work, I have to say I don't see myself shooting someone over a plant but also think it sends a good message if no charges are pressed. You steal, you pay the price. I am wondering what caliber was used, seems like I've seen stuff in the past where these things happen more often with small calibers like .22 and .25.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom