Hurley's Gold

San Antonio: Homeowner shot thief stealing potted plant.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    I agree that no one should get shot over a plant, but we really don't know what was going on. Had the homeowner had stuff stolen before? Was the homeowner scared for their safety? I lived in a really nice area right on the edge of a bad area before I moved back to Texas - cars broken in to, I did indeed have my hanging baskets stolen & potted plants stolen (I had paid several hundred dollars for them and they were sold at flee markets I was told). I did, when pregnant, come very close to shooting a man over snow blower. I had been blowing snow, went in the house to warm up for a bit, left the snow blower on the sidewalk in my unfenced front yard within about a foot of my porch and saw a man stop his junky pickup in front of my house - initially I thought he was coming to see if he could finish shoveling for money, until he just started dragging the thing to his pickup. I blame the pregnancy hormones for how very near I came to shooting him. He was smart enough to stand very very very still while we waited over 20 minutes for the police to arrive. They only came that fast because I made it clear to dispatch that I was PG and standing in the snow with a gun on a man. We couldn't count on police to arrive in any kind of a hurry. He was actually quite happy to leave with the police when they showed up to discover that he had several outstanding warrants. My Yankee neighbors started calling me "Annie Oakely" after that. While I am not proud of the incident, it does help me to appreciate that one can get fed up enough that one would, indeed, shoot someone over a pot plant.
    Lynx Defense

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Discussed this ealeir at work, I have to say I don't see myself shooting someone over a plant but also think it sends a good message if no charges are pressed. You steal, you pay the price. I am wondering what caliber was used, seems like I've seen stuff in the past where these things happen more often with small calibers like .22 and .25.

Seems the guy was trying to run over the home owner now. Will verify later tonight.

I'd assume, with that information, that the bullet may have passed though a windshield? Don't know facts are still not out there.

Here I also think it's strange that the home owner and more exact address.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Ummm...the guy was stealing property. Homeowner won't be charged - and frankly, shouldn't be. Would I shoot a plant thief? Likely not - but for all we know, this may have been the umpteenth time this dirtbag did it, and the homeowner just finally decided "enough!"

Sorry - see no reason to give this a second thought.
    This did not occur at night.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    I agree that no one should get shot over a plant, but we really don't know what was going on. Had the homeowner had stuff stolen before? Was the homeowner scared for their safety? I lived in a really nice area right on the edge of a bad area before I moved back to Texas - cars broken in to, I did indeed have my hanging baskets stolen & potted plants stolen (I had paid several hundred dollars for them and they were sold at flee markets I was told). I did, when pregnant, come very close to shooting a man over snow blower. I had been blowing snow, went in the house to warm up for a bit, left the snow blower on the sidewalk in my unfenced front yard within about a foot of my porch and saw a man stop his junky pickup in front of my house - initially I thought he was coming to see if he could finish shoveling for money, until he just started dragging the thing to his pickup. I blame the pregnancy hormones for how very near I came to shooting him. He was smart enough to stand very very very still while we waited over 20 minutes for the police to arrive. They only came that fast because I made it clear to dispatch that I was PG and standing in the snow with a gun on a man. We couldn't count on police to arrive in any kind of a hurry. He was actually quite happy to leave with the police when they showed up to discover that he had several outstanding warrants. My Yankee neighbors started calling me "Annie Oakely" after that. While I am not proud of the incident, it does help me to appreciate that one can get fed up enough that one would, indeed, shoot someone over a pot plant.
    Very good perspective!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Might not be legal, but...

Don't steal shit, don't get shot.

What's not to be proud of there? He had warrants, you helped get someone off the street that shouldn't have been there. And you protected what was yours.

To all you 12 gauge home defense nay-sayers...this is when you drop in the rock salt load. Try that with a carbine

Rock salt bounces off windshields.

I can take his engine out with my AK. And his battery. And his tires. And his transmission. And have plenty left over if he still wants some. :p

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The San Antonio Express-News rarely gets a shooting story correct.

By omission, they don't ever tell the story correctly the first time. Then, when errors in the report are found, they take days or weeks to print a correction in some obscure section of the news under a paid advertisement.

The report ignores the caliber the homeowner used. The only calibers I know of that cannot penetrate "the space between the eyes" must either be a .22LR, .32 Auto, or .380 Auto. The only way a larger caliber did not strike a lethal blow is if it struck at a glancing angle.

The editorial board is overtly "anti-gun."

Not long ago, one of their columnists compared owning a gun to being the equivalent of a "Faustian Bargain."

Don't believe what you read in this syndicated news paper!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, not a fan of SA Express News, either. Going by their content and layout, they appear to be run by the same company as the San Francisco Chronicle.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    “He had a stance as if he was Dirty Harry. Like come back here or I’m going to shoot you again,” said Andrea Lebron.

What a load of crap. I definatly catch a negative vibe towards the homeowner. Also noticed iit is now a potted plant and other items being stolen. Wonder what they were, could hep understand the mans actions but seems like they were conveniently left out.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    I dont know the specifics. 80 year old woman vs. 22 year old tatooed gang banger? the specifics would clear it up quite a bit.

It seems in most cases that the newspapers or television stations give us the barest of facts, too few to get any real idea of what the heck was going on at a particular incident.

If you recall, there was a Fox News reporter (Rebecca Aguilar) in Dallas that took a legal shooting and ran with it in a manner that ended up getting her canned back on 2007. My point being that the individual agenda of the reporter or news agency has alot to do with what comes across the air or page.

FWIW, based on what I saw in the thread and links, my inclination is like several other, I'm not inclined to shoot someone over a potted plant, but as observed, there may be more to the story that didn't get told.

Jeff B.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Might not be legal, but...

Don't steal shit, don't get shot.

X2 I wouldn't shoot someone for it, but then again, I wouldn't steal someone's potted plant either.

Rock salt bounces off windshields.

I can take his engine out with my AK. And his battery. And his tires. And his transmission. And have plenty left over if he still wants some. :p

Rock salt doesn't bounce off of someone's hind end when they're running to their truck

Plus, you can take out pretty much anything with a slug too.

(I'm just being difficult cause I'm still waiting on my back-ordered upper :banghead: )

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    If its on the local news or in the SA Express News it is usually 90% inaccurate. I have seen many stories that were 100% inaccurate. They literally had nothing but an anonymous tip and they build a ficticious, yet entertaining story around it. News these days is entertainment, not fact. Pretty sad.

Top Bottom