• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Our one-story house was built (by the seller) in 2020 on piers, we bought it in 2021, and a year ago, we had a big alcoved garden tub pulled out and a walk-in shower installed, with a narrow ledge along the back, and tile down to the new shower pan. Our mistake is that lower part was finished in tile, to match with the existing upper part of the alcove. Over this last week, there must have been major settling - because suddenly the lower part along the back is bowed, including the ledge, tile is off, total mess.

We have someone to come and do the repairs next Thursday - but I dont want to put tile back on because I know this house is going to continue to settle/shift - so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about some other something? that we can 'line' the back wall bottom part of the shower alcove with... that wont wreck the next time the house moves. We cant afford a re-build/re-tiling every two years. I've looked on youtube but without success.

Thanks -
    Hurley's Gold

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Oh. Joy.

That wall is an exterior wall - and right up next to it is the massive carport slab. There have been other, smaller, signs of shifting throughout the house: one interior door no longer closes, floor has risen up under closet doors that now drag... ah geeze.

I wonder who out in this area could look at things -
    And in the meantime, we still need to do something with the shower ~

Thanks, guys

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    See posts 2&3. Then, after all is settled and level, look into installing a fiberglass shower stall, with or without bench. If you just want one or two walls replaced, it can be done with fiberglass or tile, but until all is settled and level, the same problem(s) can arise again.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    What kind of piers? Bell? What kind of soil do you have? What has your weather been like recently? You really need an expert to look into this. I live in a very old house, probably built in the late 1940's, the pier and beam system is fairly simple, pad and block type. Summer, when it gets really dry and the soil shrinks, I get a little movement, but since the house "floats" it is not a lot. I will get one door, the rear, start rubbing at the top of the jamb. But, I am on a sandy, loamy type of soil which is about 4-5 feet deep above clay.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What kind of piers? Bell? What kind of soil do you have? What has your weather been like recently? You really need an expert to look into this. I live in a very old house, probably built in the late 1940's, the pier and beam system is fairly simple, pad and block type. Summer, when it gets really dry and the soil shrinks, I get a little movement, but since the house "floats" it is not a lot. I will get one door, the rear, start rubbing at the top of the jamb. But, I am on a sandy, loamy type of soil which is about 4-5 feet deep above clay.
    I AGREE NEED SOMEONE THAT SPECIALIZES IN HOUSE LEVELING!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    New houses normally settle for the first few years, enough to cause doors to bind and hairline drywall cracks off door/window corners. Nothing as dramatic or extensive as you seem to be describing.

Soil type makes a big diff: any clay soils will expand with rains, and shrink during drying periods. These can sure work the floor and wall structures as well as patio slabs. The fix is the reverse of the logic one would think, which would be to dry out the soil... however, since you can stop the rains or movement of ground water, the answer is to install a system for keeping the ground moist. This way it doesn't rise and lower, which is what causes the most damage.

There are experts in soil conditions and clay soils. It's best to consult with such prior to spending $$ on supposed soil fixes.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    KIND OF WHAT I THOUGHTOUR HOUSE HAS A SLAB FOUNDATIONTHEY ROUGHEDIN A SHOWER DRAIN THE JUST SET THE SHOWER ENCLOSURE DIRECTLY ON THE FOUNDATION!

That should work if the slab is stable. But I like to put them on blocks to allow for a bit of movement.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom