• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    This happened to me tonight. Nothin came of it. All is well....But....Okay, Im walkin my dog. At a distance of 2 houses down I see a pitbull. The moment I see him, he starts runnin towards my direction. Pitbulls can be lovin animals but lets face it....they are not chihuahuas..know what I mean. No tellen what the intentions are of this here dog. Could be vicious, coud be lookin to strap it on with my dog, could be out for what ever. Well he gets in my proximity ....he was goin straight for my dog. Im Yellin and kickin at this dog to keep him off and away. My experience with these dogs tells me that mabe hes after my dog but could very well turn on me. Well his idiot owners had him runin loose in the front yard while they were doin whatever in the front yard and got there soon enough. Soon enough but this dog got kicked about 6 times before they got there. This situation had the potential of many outcomes. I thought to my self. If I had my CHL........see where I'm leading to..? Those out there with a CHL...would you have used your foot like I did or would you have a bead on this dog ready to squeeze a round off? Let it be said, I have nothin against pitbulls. Its up to the owners to raise them properly. But a charging pitbull is a definate threat.
    If this thread is not in the appropriate location.....my appologys. Moderators please relocate this thead if so.
    DK Firearms

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    First: why are you walking your Chihuahua around pit bulls?
    B: without actually having been there, YES, foot/stick etc. first.
    Third: NO, my weapon would not be exposed but my hand would likely be perched on it.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    Dont have a chihuahua. I have a Great pyrenees LGD . My referance to chihuahua was just sayin man this is a pitbull not some little chihuahua...meaning a big threat not a ankle biter. And Im not walking him around pit bulls. Im walking him threw the neighborhood for exercise. But having one hand perched and ready would be a good idea. Thanks for your input Glockster69

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    If I was out walking my dog, or child(similar in size and could have had same reaction from the other dog), it could have gone two ways. If this dog is running towards mine and doesn't dislay what to me appears threatening, I may try verbal commands and a stronger presence. But, if the dog attempted to attack mine, regardless of breed, I would shoot it if i felt the animal may pose a threat to me. Knowing the damage any dog can do when fighting, I would have know problems stopping it by means of my weapon. As stated above, I'd probably pursue action against the owners too. I don't like shooting animals if not in the capacity to provide(hunting, etc). But wouldn't hesitate if the situation came up.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Just remember, anything done is based on YOUR interpretation of the events at THAT moment. We can all give our input/suggestions, but only your specific case is your decision.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Ya TrailDust, pepper spray might work. But If I had a CHL I don't think Id be carryin pepper spray. But until I get my CHL...thats a good Idea.
    I carry gun and OC spray. The spray is for occasions that require force but do not warrant deadly force. Using spray as a substitute for deadly force is foolish, but it is good to have something at the bottom of the spectrum too.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Ya TrailDust, pepper spray might work. But If I had a CHL I don't think Id be carryin pepper spray. But until I get my CHL...thats a good Idea.

To be honest, even with a CHL I'd still carry both. It's good to have a non-lethal option because using your firearm isn't always going to be the best solution. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't shoot a dog, but for each situation you have to make that determination.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    ChunkyMonkey....its in those "moments" that a person will sink or float.....I hope I never see the day that the "moment" comes my way. Weather its a blood thirstsy dog or some stupid thug.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    A lot of good input. I just hate pepper spray . I test sprayed it once upon a time and learned that if the wind sudenly changes direction....well I learned what it does to the eyes Bwahaha.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Dont have a chihuahua. I have a Great pyrenees LGD.

My intent was the First; B; and Third; would have shown everything I write is not serious. However, I assume you're not psychic and didn't know where my pea brain was going.
    I used to have a Pyr pup. Worthless, hard headed, good for nothing, beautiful (when clean) 100lb lap dog. Loved her.
    LGD = large dog?
    Without going into the 'what ifs', when your walking your dog leashed and the neighbor's dog, whatever species, is running loose and showing aggression, you are within your right to protect yourself, your spouse/kid etc. from injury. What I was trying to convey is deadly force would be my last choice, but undoubtedly an option.
    OC foam is an option as well but has limited tragectory.
    Let us know how long it takes to get your license once applied for.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    Glockster69,..My bad..didnt read it right :)

Theirs your "show dog" Great pyrenees that are prettymuch like u say worthless but loveable lap dog.
    Then theirs LGD Great Pyrenees....Livestock Guard Dog. Loyal and protective. It all depends on the blood line. Show dog blood line or Working class blood line.

As far as my license...hell...I'm still tryin to get my head around all the laws first. Im good with the Castle Doctrine...so I'm in no rush.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    As far as my license...hell...I'm still tryin to get my head around all the laws first. Im good with the Castle Doctrine...so I'm in no rush.

As you wish, but you could be learning the law(s) while DPS processes the license. Just my $0.02

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    People across the street had a Pit. That thing was people and dog aggressive. He jumped us while I was walking my dogs in my front yard, the owner waded in and broke it up before it got bloody. ( I had my hands full with two 100# LabraMutts and one 65# Pit on leashes tryin' to defend me ) Told the owner then she best get that shit under control. Next eve'nin I came home, went to the mailbox, damned Pit started after me. I told him he didn't want no part of me, he kept comin', I had walked half way back to my house, stupid dog was fixin' to charge, I put one .45 round into the sandy ground three feet in front of him. 'Tween the shower of sand and the concussion, he cut ruts in the grass GTFO of there. I called HCSO, deputy showed up an asked if I missed, told him wasn't gonna just shoot the dog. He said that's the only way you're gonna get rid of him. He went over and had a prayer meeting with the owner, never saw that dog again.

Ever since that, I have made it a point to be armed when outside with my dogs. I don't think I would pop a dog immediately, but I would put one in the ground if I could safely. If not, it's the attacker's bad luck, 'cause ain't nothing gonna chew on my dogs if I can stop it.

Top Bottom