• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Guns AREN'T made for warning shots. You pull the trigger, make that shot count.

It's my gun, I'll do what I damned well please with it.

Alrighty then. Gonna have to agree with both you even though CM has the only sane answer. You can do as you please, just be prepared to accept the consequences.

I have 2 small dogs that have Chi in them. Mutts both and bigger than Chis. I would have picked them up to ensure no harm came to them. Then dealt with the dog verbally, physically and if he bit me...permanently. Love pit bulls. Hate bad dog owners. No excuse for any dog to be off a leash that charges other people or dogs, especially a pit bull even though I feel they get a bad rap. I am sure the owners would say "He has never done that before" or some other denial bullshit.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    LoL....

my size 15 jungle boots seem to to a pretty good job on bloodthirsty dogs up to 150 lbs

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    NO excuse for having a dog off leash off property, that said:

ANY dog off leash and free from owners command will start to come towards your dog. I don't care the breed.

If you have a dog the same size as the other dog or bigger just drop the leash.

This will keep you from getting tangled up and more importantly let the dog you're leading work it out. Dogs know how to deescalate agressors but they CAN'T unless you let that leash go.

Small "Toy" dogs this is NOT what you should do. Get in front of them but keep them on the ground. Picking them up turns a dog 100% more aggressive. Not to mention now you have two hands tied up and a small dog trying to make it's way to your head. Are you near a parked car? Get close and let your toy dog go under it.

Do not go for the heads in a two dog fight unless you want to get bit. Back legs are the best. They'll "Lockup" then grab the back legs like a wheel barrow and force the aggressor to go in circles.

Kicking won't work. They don't even feel it most of the time. If you want to see how little pain they feel google "pitbull porcupine" That dog went after, and kept going after the porcupine despite the pain.

Muzzle210, Have you ever been to a dog park with your dog? How socialized is it? How good are you at reading other dogs? Most of the time the dog in the leash is the aggressor because the owner is stressing out too much.

I have a black mouth cur that people ALWAYS say is a pit bull. He's well socialize and taken to the dog park often. That said I've had a gun drawn on him and another owner cuss me out because he misunderstood my dog wanting to play by barking at his dog.

How about you go over and suggest a play date with the neighbors dog? Take the two dogs to a dog park or controlled area and let your dogs ware themselves out while becoming friends.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

What my non bully bread dog looks like.

black_mouth_cur_1.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That's a pretty cur. I had a pit bull with similar markings growing up. She was the best dog I've ever had. Intelligent, super obedient, motherly, and just always seemed to know how to act around people. She was great with all the kids too. I even got her to retrieve birds, but she would chew them up on the way back

She grew up with several other "mixed breeds" and a bunch of kids so she was socialized pretty well.

We lived out in the country so "neighbors" may be miles and miles away (ie Country not Suburbia). Most people don't leash their dogs out there. That being said she came home with a face full of porcupine quills once.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    Matefrio, No, I do not go to dog parks. The socialization my dog gets is here in the neiborhood. Non of the encounters with other animal/people have turned agressive. In fact my dog stayed calm and cool and did not fight my control. During the incident. As far as reading a dogs as to his intent...well a charging pitbull growling tells me enough, and the fact that he kept charging after each kick( of course done to keep him at bay...ya kicking did work in this situation)...there was no doubt in my mind as to his intent, no way in hell Im i going to interprete this dog postering as a hello neighbor nice to meet you. Now if this dog decided to turn on me, Im sure my dog would not just sit there. Its al onl the owners as to how they raise them and keep control of theirs. I have seen what pitbulls can do. A pitbull not on a leash is a dangerous pitbull period. This incident showed me how well trained my dog is....my eyes are now open and ya, peper spray is on the list now,,,,,an a hell no to taking my dog over for a meet and greet with this pitbull and his owners..I have seen the how responsible the owners are to not have him on a leash and I have seen this dogs aggression first hand. Meet and greet is over. THere is nothing more for me to know of these people or this dog. I did learn that a call to 311 is the post action to do as well. I also learned to get an acurate discription of the dog like size color, ect... and most important the address to the house the dog came from. I was very fortunate. And so were the owners of this dog :) I have learned from this experience. If a pitbull ever latches on to my dog or me. I will be ready.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    These pitbulls and there like....I have seen some very well trained and freindly. They are the exception, not the rule. I have also seen these dogs act all calm and then go bonkers. I worked at a Vet clinic once upon a time. I learned never to trust a dog that thru breeding is naturally agressive and lethal. These types of dogs have there place and should not be owned by a weak minded people or a person not willing to take the time to train them properly.

Had my encounter been with a run of the mill dog (not pitbull, rotwiler or the like very dangerous type of dog) there would have been no problem as my dog is of substantial size and good temperment. The pitbull was breed for one intention, ...and they are good at it. Some owners dont have those intentions.....but the breed can help but be what they are. And unfortunaltly the bad owners greatly outnumber the good ones.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    Don't land the shots with your toes. Hit with the ball of your foot or the heel. Never the toes.
    Ya, your right. Hell, now that I think about it, it's been a long time since ive had to kick somethin in order to protect my self. I guess I was more focused on not getting bit whilest I kicked lol

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Don't land the shots with your toes. Hit with the ball of your foot or the heel. Never the toes.

Reminds me of a time as a kid in San Antonio and riding home from school with my best friend Kenny. This same damn dog chased after us every day, until he got too close one day and Kenny used the heel of his boot and kicked the dog in the face. Damn dog sat on the grass and watched us ride by every day after that. That was Kenny's advice, "Always kick with your heel."

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    People across the street had a Pit. That thing was people and dog aggressive. He jumped us while I was walking my dogs in my front yard, the owner waded in and broke it up before it got bloody. ( I had my hands full with two 100# LabraMutts and one 65# Pit on leashes tryin' to defend me ) Told the owner then she best get that shit under control. Next eve'nin I came home, went to the mailbox, damned Pit started after me. I told him he didn't want no part of me, he kept comin', I had walked half way back to my house, stupid dog was fixin' to charge, I put one .45 round into the sandy ground three feet in front of him. 'Tween the shower of sand and the concussion, he cut ruts in the grass GTFO of there. I called HCSO, deputy showed up an asked if I missed, told him wasn't gonna just shoot the dog. He said that's the only way you're gonna get rid of him. He went over and had a prayer meeting with the owner, never saw that dog again.

Ever since that, I have made it a point to be armed when outside with my dogs. I don't think I would pop a dog immediately, but I would put one in the ground if I could safely. If not, it's the attacker's bad luck, 'cause ain't nothing gonna chew on my dogs if I can stop it.
    Sorry to hear you had to put up with that sort of BS. Im glad the problem is solved. As Im firing at the range, looking up law.....I think of what grain and type of bullet to use.....There is so much bad that can come of a pass thru/stray bullet. I want a bullet that can mushroom good and stay with in what I am shooting at. I can see you did not really wanna shoot the dog despite its agression. Lucky dog. I'm also glad that warning shot stayed in the ground. I imagine the sand absorbed the .45 round safly.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    Reminds me of a time as a kid in San Antonio and riding home from school with my best friend Kenny. This same damn dog chased after us every day, until he got too close one day and Kenny used the heel of his boot and kicked the dog in the face. Damn dog sat on the grass and watched us ride by every day after that. That was Kenny's advice, "Always kick with your heel."
    Aaaaa back in the day...I liked to do tricks with my bike. Being so...any dog that got near me while I was on my bike would be greated with the axle of my rear tire. But that sure is funny TrailDust "sat on the grass and watched us ride by evrey day after that". Some dogs do learn. Even the old ones

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wouldn't pull my handgun on an attacking dog. Too small and fast a target. Also if it was tangled up with my dog I'd be afraid of hitting mine. Pepper spray would be ideal, but I don't normally carry it. I'd do like matefrio says and grab a leg or two. They break/sprain easy and will put the dog out of the fight. Would goto my knife if it just wasn't giving up. One aggressive dog doesn't really worry me. It's when there's multiple you're in real trouble.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    chrisp
    Top Bottom