• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Everyone needs to realize that ANY product, that claims to be, or even has the word "smart" in its name, is almost without exception, anything but smart.

Would a smart gun would butt dial if I pocket carried.

Last edited:

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    If the product succeeds, laws will be pushed in lesser states to mandate the technology. None of that is good. Hard pass.
    Aren't there already laws on the books in a couple of states that go into effect when one of these "smart guns" reaches a certain market penetration? I feel like I remember seeing something about this in New Jersey...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Just watched Ian at Forgotten Weapons examine it. A few interesting takeaways:

-DAMN the thing is rotund.

-It's interesting that this firearm apparently is not being marketed as a cure for "gun violence" or a fix for criminal activity - it's being marketed as a bedside/home defense pistol that can be stored (in its charging cradle) loaded and ready to fire, but more tamper resistant. This is not how it's being presented in news articles, and may elevate this from "hell no" to "well, that could be useful for some folks".

-New Jersey no longer has the poison pill law requiring all firearms sold in the state to be "smart" guns as soon as one hits the market. That law was repealed a year or two ago (there's info in the video)

-It appears to have a single stack 9mm mag, and Ian experienced a couple of stoppages while firing it. Neither of those is ideal for a self-defense weapon...but at least the electronics didn't shut down as soon as the recoil was felt.

-It's got two different systems for authentication, either of which will allow the gun to be used. That increases reliability...but also increases the amount of fragile electronics inside the frame.

-It can't be fired by disabling the electronics. There's no physical linkage between the trigger and the firing mechanism - the damn thing is fire-by-wire.

It's not something I would ever spend money on personally. But it's (apparently) not like previous efforts where the manufacturer envisioned their product competing directly with and taking the place of regular firearms. Time will tell what happens once it moves out of prototype stage, and how it's marketed once that time comes. It very obviously has a way to go before it's "ready for prime time" and the makers seem to be aware that most of us will not be interested. It was presented to Ian as very much a "niche" solution for a specific concern, not as a sweeping re-imagining of firearms ownership. That's somewhat reassuring.

Now, what I'm really creeped out by is...this video was at the top of my recommendations on YouTube after I posted in this thread. I didn't go searching for more info.

Anyway...

Top Bottom