• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Bear in mind, I still wouldn't own one of these things but...it's not being presented by the press the way it's being presented by the manufacturer. Imagine that.

Reactions: gll

olddirtygerm

Awesome
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Aren't there already laws on the books in a couple of states that go into effect when one of these "smart guns" reaches a certain market penetration? I feel like I remember seeing something about this in New Jersey...
    New Jersey had a law requiring only smart guns to be sold but it is apparently gone now. I could see California jumping on this for its handgun roster ..maybe with a requirement that the face unlock also records.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    No thanks. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

2CE25999-9F58-498F-A325-FFE1F4BDFF38.jpeg

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Just watched Ian at Forgotten Weapons examine it. A few interesting takeaways:

-DAMN the thing is rotund.

-It's interesting that this firearm apparently is not being marketed as a cure for "gun violence" or a fix for criminal activity - it's being marketed as a bedside/home defense pistol that can be stored (in its charging cradle) loaded and ready to fire, but more tamper resistant. This is not how it's being presented in news articles, and may elevate this from "hell no" to "well, that could be useful for some folks".

-New Jersey no longer has the poison pill law requiring all firearms sold in the state to be "smart" guns as soon as one hits the market. That law was repealed a year or two ago (there's info in the video)

-It appears to have a single stack 9mm mag, and Ian experienced a couple of stoppages while firing it. Neither of those is ideal for a self-defense weapon...but at least the electronics didn't shut down as soon as the recoil was felt.

-It's got two different systems for authentication, either of which will allow the gun to be used. That increases reliability...but also increases the amount of fragile electronics inside the frame.

-It can't be fired by disabling the electronics. There's no physical linkage between the trigger and the firing mechanism - the damn thing is fire-by-wire.

It's not something I would ever spend money on personally. But it's (apparently) not like previous efforts where the manufacturer envisioned their product competing directly with and taking the place of regular firearms. Time will tell what happens once it moves out of prototype stage, and how it's marketed once that time comes. It very obviously has a way to go before it's "ready for prime time" and the makers seem to be aware that most of us will not be interested. It was presented to Ian as very much a "niche" solution for a specific concern, not as a sweeping re-imagining of firearms ownership. That's somewhat reassuring.

Now, what I'm really creeped out by is...this video was at the top of my recommendations on YouTube after I posted in this thread. I didn't go searching for more info.

Anyway...

I have no need for one, I don't have the concerns it addresses, but I have to wonder whether anyone commenting here besides you, me, and popsgarland actually watched the video...

As to concerns that it might encourage bad legislation, I have to agree, but it's not like we can influence it's production, except by not buying it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2023
    Houston
    I can hardly wait to hear about the available subscription service to "unlock" extra features. $4.99/mo for heated grips. $9.99/mo to enable full semi-auto mode.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I have previously read that a couple of states have laws already on the books - that once a gun like this is made available commercially, then that effects sales of normal firearms. That is another reason there has been a stoppage of this technology. Now, we see it coming along again.

This is actually a VERY bad thing for people in those states.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I look at it this way. This company did not spend the last seven years developing this pistol with all the costs of employees R&D costs and everything else just to be able to market it to a small market of people for a bedside gun.

They are gambling this technology will be expanded/mandated into civilian firearms is my guess. Once they complete proof of concept etc. The money will be in the licensing rights for the use of the technology, to other manufacturers Who will pay that instead of spending the money on R&D.

The success of this or show that the technology is available, which will lead some states to go down the path of mandating it.

This is just a way for them to get their foot in the door.

Of course this is all just my opinion but that’s what I think I see out of this development.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I have previously read that a couple of states have laws already on the books - that once a gun like this is made available commercially, then that effects sales of normal firearms. That is another reason there has been a stoppage of this technology. Now, we see it coming along again.

This is actually a VERY bad thing for people in those states.

New Jersey was the state. That law has been repealed.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I'm all for new gun technology and this is at least interesting, as long as it's not forced upon us.

This is nothing new, and they have definitely not developed the world's first smart gun - FN did it 20 years ago through a project funded by the National Institute of Justice, specifically for LE use, and FN has implemented numerous patents (long since expired i assume) for authentication systems and fire control disabling systems.

Interestingly, for a LE application, such a smart gun should be "fail-fire," verses a civilian application be "fail-safe". Needless to say, LE in general was not impressed. And the NIJ finally scrapped the project because cases of officers being wounded/killed by their own sidearm taken away from them had greatly reduced due to the i troduction of level-3 high retention holsters, bulletproof vests, and increased/better training.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Want to buy a new gun. Either the one below or a Hi-Point C9. Which makes more sense? Sorry, didn't see the prior thread on this beast! I am leaning towards the HI-Point since my wife doesn't allow me to spend more than $159 on a pistol I don't need.

1681769932183.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom