• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's the best texture on a cast iron pan?

• Smooth

• Rough

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The marketing wank from Lodge says their rough texture helps hold the seasoning better, but Lodge also owns Finex where they sell polished cast iron pans for ten times more. So which is better?

1701797287153.png
    ARJ Defense ad

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Can a non stick pan be seasoned?

Or are you just seasoning what's in it?
    #1 - maybe. On cast iron, you're basically polymerizing fats into a hard coating. The texture of the pan gives the seasoning something to stick to. Never tried it on anything but cast iron though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The poll is too binary.

Some roughness is needed. The ones polished to a mirror shine are, IMO, a bad idea.

However, current Lodge production is too rough. Look at the old pans from premium makers who went out of business somewhere around WW2. Those have a texture that's much finer than current Lodge. They also tend to be thinner. That's not a problem; any cast iron pan will act as a good heat sink. The thinner ones heat up faster, though.

There's a reason that some old pans from makers whose names I've forgotten sell for such premium prices.

Last edited:

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    My old pan. Love this thing.

Never seen those super polished ones before...am curious.

Attachments

• pan.jpg
      pan.jpg
      152.3 KB · Views: 39

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Some roughness is needed. The ones polished to a mirror shine are, IMO, a bad idea.
    The one pictured above is just the conversation starter :laughing:
    Below is an actual Finex pan. Obviously much smoother than a Lodge, but not as polished as the other one.

Question is, why would a mirror polish be bad? I guarantee oil will still stick to it and polymerize.

1701806372782.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Question is, why would a mirror polish be bad? I guarantee oil will still stick to it and polymerize.
    I've never found a mirror smooth pan that would season as easily or thoroughly as a textured one. I haven't tried a bunch, obviously, but to me "mirror polish" == "food's gonna stick."

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I've never found a mirror smooth pan that would season as easily or thoroughly as a textured one. I haven't tried a bunch, obviously, but to me "mirror polish" == "food's gonna stick."
    I wish I had time to test this...

I've heard the same thing, but if the food sticks why doesn't the seasoning? Maybe the texture effects the food/seasoning stick vs the iron/seasoning...

My old pans are pretty smooth, MUCH smoother than modern Lodge, but not mirror.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    You can buy the old pans at First Monday in Canton. Several dealers and knowledgeable and helpful. Mine dates from 1880s and the lid is newer. I need to use it more.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Cast iron needs some texture. The "seasoning" is just fats and food particles cooked down to carbon. Carbon sticks to a textured surface better than a smooth surface. Too textured and it seasons, but never getts smooth and non stick.
    I use mostly pots and griddles. Don't know who makes them. Don't care who makes them. They are solid black and smooth as glass on the cooking surface. They weren't that way when they started kife. I do a lot of cooking on them.
    My youngest bought me a red enameled, tephlon coated steel skillet for Christmas. About 1998. Cheap bastard, $2. Enamel paint is mostly gone, tephlon came off in about 6 months. I used it anyway. Now, it is mostly solid black. And works better than it ever did. I love that skillet. Best $2 present I ever got. Seasoned up good. But not as good as the cast iron with a skight texture. And you can see where some of the season comes loose and flakes out from time to time. It needs some texture to hold good.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Have both Griswold and Wagner passed down from my grandmother, no real difference to me. Maybe the Wagner is a little heavier. They are smooth as glass and don't stick, perfect for cornbread. Used to clean them with sand, use chain mail now.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    If a fella had an air compressor and a die grinder, he could easily polish some of the grit off the cooking surface of a contemporary Lodge skillet. A palm sander might do the same job but would take a lot longer, I would expect. Maybe an angle grinder? Or am I pissing into the wind here?

Top Bottom