• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's the best texture on a cast iron pan?

• Smooth

• Rough

Results are only viewable after voting.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    There's a YouTube channel something about Cowboy cooking with some guy I can't remember but he did a one of his videos on seasoning cast iron and I believe he showed how to smooth down a little bit a brand new Lowe's cast iron skillet check it out.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    There's a YouTube channel something about Cowboy cooking with some guy I can't remember but he did a one of his videos on seasoning cast iron and I believe he showed how to smooth down a little bit a brand new Lowe's cast iron skillet check it out.

Cowboy Kent Rollins. If anyone knows about this stuff, it's him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polekitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Denton County
    Rough but not too rough is best because it provides more surface area not only to retain the seasoning, but it also allows the cast iron to retain heat longer.
    The Lodge website has some really good info about caring for cast iron that includes seasoning.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Dan is right. More surface area disaptes heat faster. That is why air cooled motercycles have rough textured fins on the motor. More suface exposed to air currents to carry heat away.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The only smooth cast iron I've seen is that stuff with the layer of paint.
    Paint? Do you mean enameled like this?

img74xl.jpg

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Guys at work every year on the shop floor break out sanding equipment to smooth and polish cast iron pans for Christmas. Then spend the weekend season them in the oven doing set heat cycles. Most of them are serious into cooking, even making cutting boards.

I have one smooth cast iron pan, and like it better than my rough ones. Easy to clean, cooks very evenly.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    The poll is too binary.

Some roughness is needed. The ones polished to a mirror shine are, IMO, a bad idea.

However, current Lodge production is too rough. Look at the old pans from premium makers who went out of business somewhere around WW2. Those have a texture that's much finer than current Lodge. They also tend to be thinner. That's not a problem; any cast iron pan will act as a good heat sink. The thinner ones heat up faster, though.

There's a reason that some old pans from makers whose names I've forgotten sell for such premium prices.
    I got a Lodge "chicken fryer" skillet for Christmas last year and it does seem to be pretty rough. It was supposedly "pre-seasoned" but I've had to spend a lot of time seasoning it to get it where I want it and we're still not quite there. I agree, it seems to me you want a little texture but not as rough as this. The mirror-polish finish like the one in the OP's picture seems way too smooth.

fyi, I've found that cooking popcorn and substituting some ghee for part of the oil leaves a layer of seasoning and gives the popcorn a nice natural butter flavor.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom