• ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I'm liking this.
    I like the barrel at current length. Just my opinion though.

Here it is mocked up.

IMAG2240_zps741e86a7.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lookin good.

I like the shorter coach gun look, but it you plan on doin any hunting the extra barrel length will pay off.

I'd still take it down to 18" though.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Honestly I'd rather see it without the refinishing first. Perhaps tiger stripe should be left for the single barreled shotguns. Looks good with the worn out finish it currently has.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Right now I'm picturing it with the LOP a few inches shorter, 20" barrels (I can always go shorter), rust brown antiquing, and a distressed, carved stock. I also have an idea for a front sight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    On bare metal?

Scrubbed with a degreaser. Army tooth brush. Rinsed really well. Mineral spirits to clean off the stuff the degreaser left. It also drys the metal and displaces any water you missed.

The secret is to make sure you keep the metal from flash rusting.

Mineral spirits washes the water off the metal. After its evaporated, heat gun makes this faster, it's clean.

You'll be able to see any residues on clean bright metal, If any.

Try this cleaning process on some mild polished steel. See how the rust brown acts. The cleaner the better.

The deal with rust brown. Everything needs to be the same temp. The receiver has to be as hot as the end of thebbarrel for the rust brown to be 'even' in color and depth.

You shouldn't be able to tell it was 'swabbed'. Solid crap brown, one color.

Rust brown Loves heat. The hotter it is, the more it reacts. So a hotter area, gets 'rusted' more then a cooler area.

It can be tricky. But once you get a feel for it. It looks good. Nice deep brown. Looks like it is 100 years old. The look you get from gun blue after decades of being in the outdoors.

Last edited:

mrappe

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Considering a single shot 12ga, shot off hand....reminds one of getting kick by a quick cow....

Make sure you video it!

So have you decided on finish?

First time I shot my Savage 511 I had both fingers on the triggers and it jumped soo much that the trigger guard scraped skin off of top of one the fingers.

Top Bottom