• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I know subcaliber is not an issue, but can't seem to find an answer about the end cap. Maybe my googlefu sucks.

Is there a screw on 9mm end cap for the TiRant 45? Does it need one?

Potential hosts are 1911 or FN Tactical in 45.
    For now hosts would mostly be Glock in 40SW and 9mm.

Looked at the osprey but want the round profile for this one - maybe in the future.
    Lynx Defense

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    No. None of the pistol cans have interchangeable end caps(yet) because the end cap retains the baffle stack which means extra end caps are consider silencer parts. Extra silencer parts are a no no with the ATF. Which I don't really understand since the new Rugged Surge can has a removable front section and the griffin revolution has a removable rear section.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Well ............. OK. In handguns, at what point does a caliber become a "caliber" or a "major caliber"? I'd assume a 45 would/could be a major but when do the smaller calibers become "sub"? I guess this is just generally what we think as I've never seen and type of "official" designations.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Well ............. OK. In handguns, at what point does a caliber become a "caliber" or a "major caliber"? I'd assume a 45 would/could be a major but when do the smaller calibers become "sub"? I guess this is just generally what we think as I've never seen and type of "official" designations.

It was the crazy Hippie's term, Cam was just trying to translate all that "brah" talk. Lol

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    No. None of the pistol cans have interchangeable end caps(yet) because the end cap retains the baffle stack which means extra end caps are consider silencer parts. Extra silencer parts are a no no with the ATF. Which I don't really understand since the new Rugged Surge can has a removable front section and the griffin revolution has a removable rear section.

Why the difference between pistols and rifles???? I know that SilencerCo offers different front caps for their Saker line of suppressors, and different calibers are an option.

I bet Jeremy M. could clear some of this up. MH, you might drop him a PM with this thread link in it as I would like to hear what he says about this also.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    For each different thread on a barrel you'll need a piston.

http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/handgun/products/osprey-pistons

The Osprey and Octane family of suppressors have pistons that are easily changed for different host weapons or subcalibers. Pistons are constructed from 17-4 stainless steel and then heat treated for maximum durability. The piston is part of the Nielsen device that moves and allows semi-automatic cycling, but it also contains the female threads that attach to the muzzle of the host pistol or sub-gun. These pistons are easily interchangeable for compatibility with all relevant host guns and can be changed out to be compatible with subcaliber host guns, which means you can shoot smaller caliber rounds through the same suppressor, making it a multi-caliber silencer.

Piston_1024x1024.png

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Why the difference between pistols and rifles???? I know that SilencerCo offers different front caps for their Saker line of suppressors, and different calibers are an option.

I bet Jeremy M. could clear some of this up. MH, you might drop him a PM with this thread link in it as I would like to hear what he says about this also.

Done

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    For each different thread on a barrel you'll need a piston.

http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/handgun/products/osprey-pistons

The Osprey and Octane family of suppressors have pistons that are easily changed for different host weapons or subcalibers. Pistons are constructed from 17-4 stainless steel and then heat treated for maximum durability. The piston is part of the Nielsen device that moves and allows semi-automatic cycling, but it also contains the female threads that attach to the muzzle of the host pistol or sub-gun. These pistons are easily interchangeable for compatibility with all relevant host guns and can be changed out to be compatible with subcaliber host guns, which means you can shoot smaller caliber rounds through the same suppressor, making it a multi-caliber silencer.

Piston_1024x1024.png

Guess I was not the only one who can't read.

Thanks for pointing that out Scott.

Silenc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Ok let me add some information to this. The reason that the Saker can get away with having a different end cap is because the end caps are not silencer parts. The ATF ruled that even though they work on they Saker since they were originally designed for this: http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle/products/maad-brake then they are ok. Since a product doesn't exist like this for the pistol silencers then they can sell the end caps.

With the ATF its all about intent. So SilencerCo went to the ATF and said they were making endcaps for the brake and the ATF said it was ok. If they create something similar for the Octane then it would be good to go.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, a few questions then Jeremy M.

If someone was to make a muzzle device (that is not in any way a suppressor), that uses the same threads at the end cap of a Ti-Rant, then that devices parts would be ok to put on a Ti-Rant????

What if a company were to make a small threaded ring that was threaded on the outside the same as the end cap. That ring could be screwed into the suppressor tube to hold the baffles in place, and thus allow shooting with or without the end cap. Would that make a difference? (might have to extend treads a bit farther, and shorten a baffle or so)

I have the feeling that if you had an interchangeable washer type device with a different diameter holes that could be fitted between the cap and the baffles that would be an illegal part, probably considered a baffle of some sort, right???

TS has got me thinking about putting my .45 can on a .300BO build now. Just trying to figure out an above board and perfectly legal way to do that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom