• Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Don't think our pockets are that deep.
    I haven't seen any numbers yet. I'm asking around for building costs. I get the champagne taste and beer budget goals- bang for buck.

So we get rid of the safe room and go back to using our old gun safes, get rid of stone facade, use fiberglass insulation. Someone said get a couple of sheds and combine. Shipping containers are plentiful in port city area and can be made into tiny homes.

There are high schools that offer trade programs and build a tiny demo house each year, maybe buy those over time to build the development.

Or just build a range and offer cement pads with utilities and let each person decide what to put there. I figure a small home slab would run around $10k.

I like to put all the options on table and whittle it down from there, but there are other approaches.

Steel buildings are nice and can be made quite attractive.

tex house7.jpg
    Target Sports

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I am going to pursue this project and gather more information to make a determination as to viability. I really appreciate everyone's feedback it is invaluable to delivering what y'all are after.

I apologize to OP for hijacking his thread, but this *may* be a solution for what he seeks.

I have lived in many non-traditional communities and seen many things I'd like to copy and many things to avoid. We had a cabin in Michigan that was a former campground. Michigan had a very lenient property tax loophole that if it was a trailer and only lived in half the year, property taxes were very low. The trailers were very nicely made and had half-log siding. There would be very large screened-in porches that doubled sq footage, but I don't believe Texas offers that tax break. I'd lean towards slab and frame construction, with that fieldstone facade and hardiboard siding for the side/back and light-colored seam steel roof.

Prefab construction, as many have noted, is superior to site-built due to the jigs they use, oversight, and the fact that the workers/materials are out of the elements. A few weeks of that waferboard crap in the weather waiting on a roofer and it starts to de-laminate.

One question is about skeet/ trap. We have that at the range I work at and it is for the big money boys and their $11k Citori boomsticks. I think they would not be our target customer, but invite feedback.

One consideration is we like to shoot, but none of our spouses will want to hear that crap all day/ every day. I guess just offer sessions/ days and insulate the buildings well with sprayfoam. That foam stuff is a miracle product, just needs some off-gassing

time. View attachment 442508
    <>

Anyone who would pay $11K for an actual Citiori is too dumb to participate.

Are you sure those weren’t Browning Diana or Midas models ?

Besides, the real wealthy guys shoot s x s double-guns by Chappuis, Winchester, Sauer, Berretta, L C Smith, Westley Richards, etc.

Then, the really, really zillionaires go back to Mod. 12’s.

Friends in high paces. . . . . . .

<>

A Citiori is like a fake Rolex or a Nissan 280.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Yesterday I was looking at Pratt Homes in Tyler website.
    They manufacture small modular and mobile homes in a controlled environment.
    As well as large homes. You pick the amenities you want.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Don't think our pockets are that deep.
    For the right setup - you might be surprised :D

Or just build a range and offer cement pads with utilities and let each person decide what to put there. I figure a small home slab would run around $10k.
    If the right property could be found, as an investment project this would be worth looking at, given the rising trend towards RV/TinyHome/cabin living. A shooting community, and if someone wanted to retire there now or later? All the better and @Moonpie could even park his van on it. :clown: It would lend itself well to the life-estate ownership model for the spot, with monthly fees paid to cover utilities/proportioned taxes/common area costs, etc.

But that's a whole different concept than the original idea of a retirement community with uniform dwellings (keep the safe room, lol), greenhouses, gardens, resident maintenance/caretaker etc... which, albeit with higher upfront development costs and higher monthly fees for owners, is also a great idea given the aging population and shouldn't be ruled out, imo.

I think it's grand you're exploring this, and however things evolve my hunch is, like in the movie, If You Build It They Will Come.

Last edited:

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    My 00.02 on pre made houses/buildings.

Not sure about now, but in the old days, prefab houses did not
    have 2"x 4" interior walls. The exterior walls yes, but the interior
    walls were 2"x 2" walls. An example is the old F&J homes. This
    was done to keep the cost/price of the house down, which made
    for a cheap house.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    For the right setup - you might be surprised :D

If the right property could be found, as an investment project this would be worth looking at, given the rising trend towards RV/TinyHome/cabin living. A shooting community, and if someone wanted to retire there now or later? All the better and @Moonpie could even park his van on it. :clown: It would lend itself well to the life-estate ownership model for the spot, with monthly fees paid to cover utilities/proportioned taxes/common area costs, etc.

But that's a whole different concept than the original idea of a retirement community with uniform dwellings (keep the safe room, lol), greenhouses, gardens, resident maintenance/caretaker etc... which, albeit with higher upfront development costs and higher monthly fees for owners, is also a great idea given the aging population and shouldn't be ruled out, imo.

I think it's grand you're exploring this, and however things evolve my hunch is, like in the movie, If You Build It They Will Come.
    I'm going to let you handle this project. I know you will do a fantastic job. Let me know when it's time for me to make a deposit and I will take a place- you have a soft commitment from me. We have a bunch of ideas here to sift through.

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    A few years ago I was looking at Pratt, and they advertised 70-90 a sq ft, but I am sure that has gone up with all the inflation of the last few years. At the same time I gathered some estimates for site built at 135 a sq ft.
    Site built is high outside of the cities (although I have no idea what it is now even inside a city).

I think the Pratt costs did not include foundation (which there are a lot of good and bad options) and septic/utilities hook up, but I may not of heard that right. My situation changed, and I stopped pursuing before I got into the details too much.
    I was impressed by the quality though. It seemed equal, if not better than what I am in now.

There are quite a few companies that advertise about building in the country, but may just do a shell, and I have no interest in finishing out a shell.....I was looking for turn key.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    A few years ago I was looking at Pratt, and they advertised 70-90 a sq ft, but I am sure that has gone up with all the inflation of the last few years. At the same time I gathered some estimates for site built at 135 a sq ft.
    Site built is high outside of the cities (although I have no idea what it is now even inside a city).

I think the Pratt costs did not include foundation (which there are a lot of good and bad options) and septic/utilities hook up, but I may not of heard that right. My situation changed, and I stopped pursuing before I got into the details too much.
    I was impressed by the quality though. It seemed equal, if not better than what I am in now.

There are quite a few companies that advertise about building in the country, but may just do a shell, and I have no interest in finishing out a shell.....I was looking for turn key.
    From what I understand they do all the permits and do complete work.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I'm going to let you handle this project. I know you will do a fantastic job. Let me know when it's time for me to make a deposit and I will take a place- you have a soft commitment from me. We have a bunch of ideas here to sift through.
    Nope, sorry. My days of developments ended with the mountain. I also apologize to you personally for sticking my nose in too much. I hope you don't take your ball and go home; you have a good start going here.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Most folks will need a variable time of ‘’skilled’’ Nursing care b/f dying. Few are prepared financially or physically.

In this era of having to move for employment; the traditional multigenerational American home has become very rare.

So, the unprepared go to publicly-funded “Nursing Homes’’ on medicaid. An entire legal services industry has evolved in effort to effect “qualification” of those unqualified under current law.

Then, there is mandated partial ‘’payback’’ by forced liquidation of estate assets.

This is far from ideal. It is product of post-WWII overtaxation forcing (House)wives/‘’Homemakers’’ into outside of home employment.

I’m just telling what I’ve repeatedly seen.

Almost 50% of our massive medicare/medicaid expenditures are for high-tech care of Elders in their recognizable last few days of natural life; forced by families demanding heroic means to prevent obvious imminent natural deaths. Using PUBLIC funding; ‘’opm’’. Under threats of lawsuits.

Once public funding runs-out; they must assume financial responsibility, and suddenly reverse to ‘’let nature take its course’’.

In my experience, this has been universal.

Any attempts to mitigate this practice are immediately labeled “death panels’’ by leftist media.

leVieux

<>

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Any attempts to mitigate this practice are immediately labeled “death panels’’ by leftist media.
    OT but I note the Canadian govt has now legalized and is pushing assisted suicide as a cure for old age...and many other things. It's a huge story and the MSM is ignoring it.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Ben,

"OT but I note the Canadian govt has now legalized and is pushing assisted suicide as a cure for old age"

Pushing?

Well f-them, but as my body is now an aging, wrinkled temple of unremitting pain, (yeah, I suck it up and keep on keeping on) but, sliding out painlessly is...ah...appealing...but, not something I'd do to myself, gutless bastard that I am...

Having a bud (one time bil) shoot himself in the heart and then not being discovered for a week, made me both po'd at him and then sad, isn't something I could do to my family and friends...but, maybe gently advising them, I'm in too much pain to continue, so please, I've got to check out...ok?

Maybe, would be acceptable...?

We're all checking out eventually, but why should anyone first go thru years of physical agony to earn the privilege of a painless (I assume) death?

Sign my ass up!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    OT but I note the Canadian govt has now legalized and is pushing assisted suicide as a cure for old age...and many other things. It's a huge story and the MSM is ignoring it.
    <>

Ben, I don’t support any active taking of Human life; but, no society could ever afford wasting Billion$ on HIGH-TECH ‘’FUTILE CARE’’ for those who are dying naturally, either.

<>

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Looks like wife and I won't be a part of this. We've had our offer on just over an acre in Paris, TX, accepted if we pay closing costs. I'm waiting to find out how much they will be, but I'll gladly pay them at the very low price we are getting the land for.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom