TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Fug'um. Op-sec around nosy neighbors.
    Already have secure off-site storage.
    Very preliminary researching moving to a Senior Living residence.
    I'm tired of maintaining a house and yard.
    Wife has mobility issues.
    We’re both mid-60’s.
    Having a little outdoor space would be preferred
    What are my options?
    I live in a gated senior living apartment complex.
    Maintenace when needed is done fast. Very few know of guns, many here, men and women have them. I don't associate with most of the democraps. Have a garage.
    Mostly quiet.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I live in a gated senior living apartment complex.
    Maintenace when needed is done fast. Very few know of guns, many here, men and women have them. I don't associate with most of the democraps. Have a garage.
    Mostly quiet.

This is what I want to learn about. A garage would be great.
    How is the access for a person using a walker(probably later a wheel chair)?
    Pets?
    PM please.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Very preliminary researching moving to a Senior Living residence.
    I'm tired of maintaining a house and yard.
    Wife has mobility issues.
    We’re both mid-60’s.
    Having a little outdoor space would be preferred
    What are my options?
    Very VERY preliminary, I would say...
    Mid-60's is the new 30, after all (I am 64 in two months).
    That said, my dad was researching a couple years back and found a place near Kerrville with cottages on the river. So you are kind of still in a house. It had shared trails, so a little space. If your health declined you could move into their assisted living apartments ($$$$).
    I know the location is not a match for you, but maybe the same idea?

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Very VERY preliminary, I would say...
    Mid-60's is the new 30, after all (I am 64 in two months).
    That said, my dad was researching a couple years back and found a place near Kerrville with cottages on the river. So you are kind of still in a house. It had shared trails, so a little space. If your health declined you could move into their assisted living apartments ($$$$).
    I know the location is not a match for you, but maybe the same idea?

I'm open to that.
    Cottages on the river sound nice if they never flood.
    I'm hoping for something in the Hill Country. Kerrville is certainly in the running.
    I watched my Dad struggle with keeping up his large place as he aged. I don't want to be trapped into that. My own place is getting old and there is always something needing repair. Every day is something new.
    On site outdoor activities would be very limited to non-used. A swimming pool would be about the only thing we'd use. We're not golf people.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I'm open to that.
    I'm hoping for something in the Hill Country. Kerrville is certainly in the running.
    I watched my Dad struggle with keeping up his large place as he aged. I don't want to be trapped into that. My own place is getting old and there is always something needing repair. Every day is something new.
    On site outdoor activities would be very limited to non-used. A swimming pool would be about the only thing we'd use. We're not golf people.
    I don't recall the pool situation there, but I will get the name from him so you can get a closer look.

ETA- adding "never flood" is not usually an option when living on the Guadalupe. A buddy and I used to canoe it a lot in the late 70's and would marvel at the canoes and jon boats stuck 30 or 40 feet up in Cypress.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I'm open to that.
    A swimming pool was high on the list in our search. While the HOA has a pool, it's nice having one in the back yard. Some of the neighbors complain about the traffic on 380, but I can find anything need within a few miles.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Getting old is a curse. I’m not one for moving again but my house is more work inside with house keeping than I can do. Outside is harder than inside. I sure didn’t figure I would be a widower.

The thing is I love it out here. All the neighbors are as cool as could be. People here are about the same age for the most part.

While I should be outside weed whacking. My ass is still in bed. The only reason I’m awake is I need to piss & brush my teeth. Eventually I’ll roll out and get motivated, but it’s time for another pain killer so it is what it is.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I live in a small house (3/2) in a big retirement community.
    Postage stamp size lot, 1 1/2 car garage, big enough for a golf cart, car and workbench. Golf cart accessible grocery stores, restaurants, indoor shooting range and a dozen 9 hole golf courses inside of 15 minutes by cart.
    The more amenities you want the more you pay.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    This thread has me thinking it may be time to sell, but the thought of living very close by others (think of apartment complex living) makes me shudder...the thought of 'sharing' a communal wall make me not only shudder, but cringe.

My neighbors are all good folk and we all live with enough distance between houses we are never bothered by any noise they (or we) might make.

One neighbor owns 2 big Harleys and we never hear them if we're inside and not all that much when we're outside. Though he rides them very infrequently now as he's also grown quite long in the tooth too...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Where to start. Mom did a lot of research on this back in 2010 when she was 76. These operations come in all sorts of flavors.

Where she ended up was in a place that had independent living in the main building (nice apartment, detached garage as an option to the parking garage). Assisted living could be done in the big house or, depending on assistance needed, may have to move to a more specialized building on the campus that also dealt with ‘memory care’. Most everyone eventually transferred to terminal/end of life care in a third facility on the campus.

She ‘graduated’ from independent to assisted in the same facility, then to assisted in the specialized, then did terminal/EOL at a great hospice facility. Her takeaway making the decision to senior living was
    1. Hotel California; once you go in, you never check out
    2. Operating model; some contracts are fixed rent, optional meal plans, some are all-in, some are rent adjusted annually.
    3. Some places will evict you if you don’t pay rent.

Where she was at was a Buckner development in Austin; they’re faith-based on won’t generally evict or sue for non-payment. They occasionally work to transfer really hard cases to more appropriate options, though I don’t recall that happening in her 8 years there.

Pro: ADA accessibility is built in and lots of activities, with the ability to add home healthcare support independent of Buckner.

Con. Hotel California

This is different than something like a Del Webb ‘retirement’ community. Those resale units are hit or miss and most aren’t well maintained as the owner ages and require significant upgrades (roof, carpet, paint, appliances, sometimes plumbing) at sale.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I live in a small house (3/2) in a big retirement community.
    Postage stamp size lot, 1 1/2 car garage, big enough for a golf cart, car and workbench. Golf cart accessible grocery stores, restaurants, indoor shooting range and a dozen 9 hole golf courses inside of 15 minutes by cart.
    The more amenities you want the more you pay.

The Villages?

I hear its great but being way over in Florida its too far away from family. We want to be within a moderate distance to them. No too close. LoL

It does suck getting old. Things that I used to pick up and carry like nothing now require a dolly. I am a sad panda.

eta: I grew up in a small town where Mrs Kravitz was a very real menace.
    I learned then how to gaslight the F out of her type. I have not forgotten.

Top Bottom