• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    But if they were anti gun..why would you want to live there ?
    You'd have to be quiet about it..and if they found out they could make your life Hell while still staying within the law.

It's like buying a home with a HOA ..knowing the stupid rules..then constantly butting heads with them over things.

I don't want to complicate my life any more than it has to be.
    Speaking from experience; No, I didn't want to live there at all, but, having just went through all the physical, emotional, mental process of coming to terms with my life altering situation, and the adaption issues that go along with it, it didn't leave me a whole lot of options. Particularly if I wanted to have any semblance of independence. So, I lived in a HUD apartment while I went to school to get my degree. And a job that afforded me the opportunity to get the F outta there.

Obviously, situations vary, but, at times there just really ain't many options, and you have to deal with the cards dealt.

And trust me, the only complications in my life I don't mind are, the "What's for dinner"? options.

Things may have changed over the years. I dunno.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Speaking from experience; No, I didn't want to live there at all, but, having just went through all the physical, emotional, mental process of coming to terms with my life altering situation, and the adaption issues that go along with it, it didn't leave me a whole lot of options. Particularly if I wanted to have any semblance of independence. So, I lived in a HUD apartment while I went to school to get my degree. And a job that afforded me the opportunity to get the F outta there.

Obviously, situations vary, but, at times there just really ain't many options, and you have to deal with the cards dealt.

And trust me, the only complications in my life I don't mind are, the "What's for dinner"? options.

And things may have changed over the years. I dunno.
    I'm telling you, it's hard to come to terms with getting old and not being to do things I would like doing. April 19 I will be 70 if I live that long.

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    We got enough like-minded old farts here to buy a patch and build a retirement community with a little gun range and instead of a rec center, we have a reloading room. Hire a couple hot nurses and we're golden.

I can smell the gunpowder now....Lead Acres
    I really like the way you think !

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I’m seeing monthly rents between $1300-2000 for a two bedroom apartment.
    We don’t need assisted living. Just a standard apartment.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    My MIL is in assisted living, $6k/ mo. She likes the ballon volleyball. What a waste of $$, I bought a ranch house specifically so they could live here.
    I modified our home for the same. Would have been their own separate, and large, living area. She/they decided against it. Cost $$$$. As the end neared all she did was bitch about no one visiting. Well, ya, they all come to my place.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I’m seeing monthly rents between $1300-2000 for a two bedroom apartment.
    We don’t need assisted living. Just a standard apartment.

So are you just looking for an apartment building that is designed for older residents?

Your initial post seemed a little different.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    We got enough like-minded old farts here to buy a patch and build a retirement community with a little gun range and instead of a rec center, we have a reloading room. Hire a couple hot nurses and we're golden.

I can smell the gunpowder now....Lead Acres
    Probably lard ass acres.
    Come on .
    I'll fix ya a place.
    Are you a builder?

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Not for just anyone
    That is one of tne most generous offers I have seen in a long time. Kudos to you Mr. Vaquero

Places here in The Big Town are pricey. There is a +55 place but it has an HOA, so that was a no go for us. Several assisted living places. Most apartments are not exclusive to seniors. But then I have not really looked.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

As we both are “getting up there” & both have disabling arthritis; we did a search, with several site visits, in the past 18 months

A few observations: Even the basic quarters & limited ‘’care’’ are very expensive and there are all sorts of “gortchas”.

The first place we looked was really nice, but:

$3,500/mo. OK. That’s for EACH, OK. Then one must buy some 40 cafeteria meals/mo; EACH. Must include breakfasts, & choices are very limited. But I don’t eat breakfast ? Too bad.

Then, there are internet, phone, & utility fees. But maid service 2x/wk is included.

Oh, & you must live in an a tiny apartment while waiting for larger unit. One can have a car; but covered parking is very limited, & costs extra.

By the time they got through, it was about $13,000/mo w/o any actual nursing or health care. Not including utilities, etc.

In other words, they will get all the money you have saved, most likely.

We can do our own laundry, shopping, driving, etc. Just slowly.

Luckily, we have a long term care policy which we have paid on for some 30+ years. But, we’re “too healthy’’ to invoke that benefit yet.

As with most things in modern life, only the very rich, or the very poor, can afford it ! if you've lived prudently, worked hard, & saved as one should, you face a shakedown.

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The wife and I briefly looks at houses in Sun City (Georgetown) and almost got t-boned by an OLD bitty pulling out right in front of us. That was it, pass. I now have over an acre, but hire that maintenance out (gardening gets in the way of shooting and golf, and grand kids).
    <>

My Friends bought just outside “Sun City” @ Georgetown, to avoid all the restrictions.

We are now on some 3.5ac, 300’ waterfront; yard maintenance is eating up our cash. I couldn’t imagine tree service bills averaging some $600/mo, & grass cutting about the same..

<>

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Probably lard ass acres.
    It could be called Lead Acres.

I'm picturing one of those fly-in neighborhoods two rows of giant houses on either side of grass runway.

Now, make the homes a mix of smaller,sensible designs for seniors and replace that runway with fully baffled ranges shooting opposite directions, 200M and 50 M, for both rifle and pistol.

I like it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We recently went through the same search for Dad. $6K / month is inexpensive.
    And the assisted places *YOU* would want to live in are much more than that.
    I have good quality long-term care insurance. As long as you're in your home, they provide great benefits.

The quickest way to use up those benefits would be moving into assisted living

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom