• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I've done alot of work at some senior living g sub divisions. Most of the people live it except your HOA fee will be high and ya gotta pay for the pool or pools, Recreation/ Banquet/ Party building. Some have small parks for the grand kids so you gotta pay for that too oh when the electric security gates break yeah they get for that
    and tha pond maintenance. Some are all added into your monthly or yearly Fee toll. Forgot some have No driveway parking no street parking restrictions. Shop wislely
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I see myself in lots of these comments. I made a big mistake by holding onto my house so I would have a "place to take care of" my sister. Now that she's broken down and I'm on that road, the maintenance (both the house and our bodies) is maddening.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I don't recall the pool situation there, but I will get the name from him so you can get a closer look.

ETA- adding "never flood" is not usually an option when living on the Guadalupe. A buddy and I used to canoe it a lot in the late 70's and would marvel at the canoes and jon boats stuck 30 or 40 feet up in Cypress.

I grew up just down the road from the Guadloop. When it floods it is terrifying. I've seen it first hand. By the river is fine from up on the high cliff. Down by the water? Nope.
    Remember that flood in Wimberly about 10yrs back? Yeah. Like that.
    I will not be living next to any river.

Not really interested in a house in a 55+ subdivision. I'd have the same problems I do now.
    I was thinking more like a cottage or even an apartment.
    Somewhere I don't do the outside landscaping work.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Townhouse?

Do you really need assisted living? Seems like that would be the first question that would drive the direction of the search.

Might want to examine the cost of the new housing vs. staying put and hiring someone to take care of the yard and repairs. I have always taken care of the yard and house myself, so I don't always think in terms of examining the cost of a new (and potentially much more expensive place, vs. a place that is paid for) place vs. changing my ways and paying someone to take over the yard and repairs (as needed).

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Might want to examine the cost of the new housing vs. staying put and hiring someone to take care of the yard and repairs. I have always taken care of the yard and house myself, so I don't always think in terms of examining the cost of a new (and potentially much more expensive place, vs. a place that is paid for) place vs. changing my ways and paying someone to take over the yard and repairs (as needed).
    That's where our heads are at. All improvements etc were made to be doable way down the road... regardless of what comes.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I know. With a bad back and worn out knees its tough.
    I'm with you there, bad back, bad neck, I've got a Husky 54 in Zero turn on 1 1/4 acre. My granddaughter does most of my weed eating for me. My grandson does heavy stuff, he wants the house when we're gone from here. I love watching the deer.

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My dad who was 82 at the time, moved into a senior apartment. It was all inclusive, utilities, and meals. Was cheaper than getting a regular apartment. His age was probably close to the average there, so about 50% were in walkers, or scooters.
    The one downside you will find is that when you make friends there, you might get depressed with how many pass away while you're there.

ULEWZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2023
    Georgetown TX
    The wife and I briefly looks at houses in Sun City (Georgetown) and almost got t-boned by an OLD bitty pulling out right in front of us. That was it, pass. I now have over an acre, but hire that maintenance out (gardening gets in the way of shooting and golf, and grand kids).

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm thinking, with the Federal ruling in that NY case, All rental properties, not on federal grounds, are going to have to let people have them in the homes.
    But if they were anti gun..why would you want to live there ?
    You'd have to be quiet about it..and if they found out they could make your life Hell while still staying within the law.

It's like buying a home with a HOA ..knowing the stupid rules..then constantly butting heads with them over things.

I don't want to complicate my life any more than it has to be.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I was wondering if they could stop someone from keeping guns, it is their "house" after all.

May be some type of "hospital" loop hole, though

But if they were anti gun..why would you want to live there ?
    You'd have to be quiet about it..and if they found out they could make your life Hell while still staying within the law.

It's like buying a home with a HOA ..knowing the stupid rules..then constantly butting heads with them over things.

I don't want to complicate my life any more than it has to be.
    Next time I go to see Nana, I'll look for signs, I do not recall seeing any because it's a big open foyer going to the elevator and stairway to go in, she's on the second floor.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    @Moonpie , 4 years ago we moved from a house in South Carolina to a senior apartment here. We love it. Here, all apartments are ground floor and handicap accessible. Wide doors, hand rails in the bathrooms, no steps/stairs.

My wife broke her ankle 2 weeks ago. She has a knee scooter and gets around pretty well. Taking a shower is easy, there's a seat in the shower. We're in our early 70's and even though adapting to apartment living has been a ongoing process, I'm glad we made the change. There's no upkeep, no yard work, everything is take care of for me.

I have gotten so bored with nothing to do, I have gone back to work driving cars and trucks for a local fleet sales dealership.

Top Bottom