• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who are you voting for in the GOP TX gove primary?

• Greg Abbott

Votes: 74 55.6%
    • Allen West

Votes: 41 30.8%
    • Don Huffines

Votes: 13 9.8%
    • Rick Perry

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Paul Belew

• Daniel Harrison

• Kandy Kaye Horne

• Chad Prather

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Non native Texan speaking here.

I’ve said for several years now I would like a moratorium on voting for five years after moving to Texas. That gives you time to acclimated before trying to “fix” things.

Having said that, how many more years should one live in Texas before running for Governor? I’ve done a lot of reading about Texas’ history but I haven’t read it all, not have I seen all of this beautiful state in my eight years. I spent three years in the Reserves of a Texas based squadron. While we were stationed in New York I even made sure my wife came back to Texas so our kids would have Texas birth certificates.

Allen West has been here since 2014/15, born in Georgia and then attended university of Tennessee, and then was a representative from Florida. I think he’s done some good here and there but does he really represent Texas? Does he really represent anywhere? Seems to me like an opportunist politician.

Having said that, I’m voting for Chad Prather, also not a born and raised Texan but he’s been here for twenty years. I’m kinda tired of run of the mill politicians, at least he’s honest about things instead of political speak.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm down to Abbott, Huffines and West.

Not really all in happy with any. I think Huffines is short on details on his property tax pledge, West went way stupid on the DWI arrest and Abbott could be ave been more like Desantis in the beginning of the pandemic. After that, while I disagree with some of his decisions, I dont think he was falling into the bloodlust authoritarian edict bullshit many governors got drunk on. I think he was trying to balance unknowns with the needs to protect people in good faith. That said I dont trust trump to default conservative and voted for him multiple times so I realize no one is going to be perfect. I'm also not naive enough to expect them to align perfectly to my whims.

Lt Gov has more power and I will probably stick with Patrick although I'm not done researching.

Attorney General has a Bush running and I'm pretty disgusted with them. I'm leaning towards Guzman.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Okay, I am on the "pissed at Abbott" page for a couple of things, not the least his handling of Covid and that he talked a lot, but our border never got secure. Couple of other things that bug me: one, I don't believe that he has accepted one single invitation to meet with the other primary candidates in a public forum to share ideas. If he accepted, even once, I missed it, so if you know of one, fill me in. I know for a fact that the rest of the primary group has had several such meetings. Every time I read about them, it says "Abbott declined the invitation". Okay, TWO, is related: he seems to think he is already running against his Dim opponent. His ads on TV are about Beto and Biden, not any of his primary competition. Is he too good to even consider them?

Maybe it's just that simple. He will win the primary with no effort? It could be that he is just a savvy politico, but it comes across to this voter as arrogant and dismissive.

For now, I am mostly in the Huffines or West camp. If Abbott does win the primary, of course I will have to hold my nose.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Okay, I am on the "pissed at Abbott" page for a couple of things, not the least his handling of Covid and that he talked a lot, but our border never got secure. Couple of other things that bug me: one, I don't believe that he has accepted one single invitation to meet with the other primary candidates in a public forum to share ideas. If he accepted, even once, I missed it, so if you know of one, fill me in. I know for a fact that the rest of the primary group has had several such meetings. Every time I read about them, it says "Abbott declined the invitation". Okay, TWO, is related: he seems to think he is already running against his Dim opponent. His ads on TV are about Beto and Biden, not any of his primary competition. Is he too good to even consider them?

Maybe it's just that simple. He will win the primary with no effort? It could be that he is just a savvy politico, but it comes across to this voter as arrogant and dismissive.

For now, I am mostly in the Huffines or West camp. If Abbott does win the primary, of course I will have to hold my nose.
    Honest, we have too many challengers, and that's gonna dilute the vote, and I suspect Abbott knows that. I'm gonna stick with a Texan challenger and plan to vote Huffines. West is too unprincipled about life for my vote.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I've kept up with West's career over the years. Other than the "abortion for rape" issue, he's been consistently conservative and pro-liberty over the years.

I don't know as much about Huffines. His voting record seems pretty conservative, and he's been a much louder critic of Abbott. However, I don't know if it's just for show. Abbott was pretty conservative at first....then he got a taste of power....

Prather may be a good guy, but he is a radio personality. Look at the clown we got last time we voted one of them in (Patrick).

The only ones who really want Abbott to win in the primary are Democrats. They'll either put a Dem in office due to lack of votes for Abbott, or they'll get their agenda pushed through based on Abbott's usual lack of effort to oppose it.

Right now, I'm leaning toward West. I will consider Huffines a good alternative.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I've kept up with West's career over the years. Other than the "abortion for rape" issue, he's been consistently conservative and pro-liberty over the years.

I don't know as much about Huffines. His voting record seems pretty conservative, and he's been a much louder critic of Abbott. However, I don't know if it's just for show. Abbott was pretty conservative at first....then he got a taste of power....

Prather may be a good guy, but he is a radio personality. Look at the clown we got last time we voted one of them in (Patrick).

The only ones who really want Abbott to win in the primary are Democrats. They'll either put a Dem in office due to lack of votes for Abbott, or they'll get their agenda pushed through based on Abbott's usual lack of effort to oppose it.

Right now, I'm leaning toward West. I will consider Huffines a good alternative.
    Huffines has the backing of some pretty good endorsements.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    … I dont think he was falling into the bloodlust authoritarian edict bullshit many governors got drunk on...

Serious question on that topic. Why, for 21 months in a row, has he continued to renew the Covid disaster declaration suspending any regulatory statute that interferes with his ability to do whatever he wants?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

In general, I think it would be better if R candidates didn’t go after each other so much in the primaries.

I haven’t really seen many ads this year TBH, but usually the R candidates sling more mud at each other than they do at the Dems later. And spend very little time on what they actually want to accomplish or laying out how they would do it.

So Abbott not doing (attack) ads against his fellow Rs is ok with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom